“Cozy, quiet, clean & convenient!”

Comfort Suites Rapid River Lodge
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Baxter
“Cozy, quiet, clean & convenient!”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I love this Comfort Suites in particular for its indoor/outdoor hottub, nice smaller waterpark, & close proximity to one of my favorite restaurants in MN (Prairie Bay). The lobby/breakfast area are cozy & woodsy with a fireplace & many nice touches at breakfast. My son & I were staying mid-week/off-season when the waterpark was closed. I noted this when booking online & my son was disappointed, but we still wanted to stay here. Very glad we did, as we got a call from the hotel earlier in the day to make sure we knew the waterpark was closed during our stay. They even offered us an upgrade to the whirlpool suite. My son thoroughly enjoyed that after a long day! We have been here when the waterpark is open & really like that too! It is smaller & less crowded than a couple others here in town.

• Stayed April 2013
RapidRiverLodge, Owner at Comfort Suites Rapid River Lodge, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thank you for the great review. Returning to a hotel for multiple stays is the highest form of compliment we can recieve, it means a lot to us. One of my partners is the owner of Prairie Bay so he'll see your comment also. We are very thankfull to have a restaraunt of that caliber right in our parking lot, they have been written up in many State and Regional articals for their world class cuisine and have never let us down. The water park opens all week again on Memorial Day weekend, I hope you come back and stay with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Bemidji, Minnesota
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We liked the location. Walking distance to Grizzley's. Kind of right in the middle of the main strip in Baxter. The hotel had a cabin feel to it. lots of log furniture. The pool is closed during the week during slow season, that was a bummer. But they did tell us while we were booking so that was a plus. We would stay there again!

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
RapidRiverLodge, Owner at Comfort Suites Rapid River Lodge, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you for the positive review, I'll let Grizzley's know you enjoyed your time with them also. This also gives me a chance to commend you for calling us directly or using Choicehotels.com to make your reservation.During the off season or when the Indoor Water Park is closed for maintenance it's information we can relay to you. That's not always the case with online companies and can be a major dissappointment when you come, good job. I hope you stay with us again on your next trip through the area. Mark
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We have been to other waterparks in the area and this one is definitely smaller, but it was actually nice to have less of a crowd. Our boys (4 and 7) loved the 2 water slides and all the other parts of the waterpark. The rooms were nice with fridge and microwave. Breakfast was comparable to all the other continental breakfasts offered at similar hotels. Arcade was small, not much to choose from. But the pool/waterpark was the highlight of the weekend anyway. Great for our last minute getaway.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
RapidRiverLodge, Owner at Comfort Suites Rapid River Lodge, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Like the review right by you that weekend was one of the busiest of the weekend so your comments are especially appreciated and encouraging for our entire staff. You are right in the fact that our waterpark is a bit smaller but so is our hotel and I think thats what gives us a slight advantage. For the most part all Minnesota water parks have basically the same features so when you and your family can enjoy them in a less crowded enviornment can be a big plus. I think one of our biggest positives is the fact that parents can sit all the way around the kiddies part of the park. Many parents have commented on how safe that made them feel, I'm sure you know how fast your 4 year old can dissappear from your sight. It sure is fun watching the younger kids in there though isn't it? I think those are family memories that will last a lifetime. Thank you for being our guest, hope you can return soon.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We stayed in the bunk-bed suite; great room. The staff was very friendly and did a great job of accommodating us so we got into our room early. We spent lots of time at the water park which was very nice; with the exception the do not enforce the young children in the hot tub and it was very wild. At one point I was the only adult with 10 to 12 kids under the age of 12 in the hot tub.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for the great review. The bunkbed room you were in is our most popular family room and it's nice to hear you enjoyed the water park. You were here on one of the busiest, bonkers, winter weekends so when I hear good comments like yours they really do mean a lot. Thank you.
Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

I stay at a lot of Choice Hotels and am a Choice member. Due to my member status I was upgraded to a suite with a jacuzzi tub. The room was large and clean. The lady at the front desk that greeted me was nice and helpful when it came to restaurant choices. The free breakfast was average but will do just fine. I would defiantly stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013
RapidRiverLodge, Owner at Comfort Suites Rapid River Lodge, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Thank you so much for the great comments. Our staff tries very hard to treat every guest in our hotel like a guest in our homes. Hope you can return soon.
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
Reviewed December 23, 2012

I first reviewed this hotel late last summer, and I have stayed there several times since then. It is still a very nice hotel with a great restaurant (Prairie Bay) just across the parking lot. I want to add a word of caution to anyone with perfume/odor allergies. The carpet in the rooms is cleaned frequently, probably because of people coming in from the water park; and the cleaner has a very strong aroma. Also, I have had the experience a couple times of the carpet still being damp when I checked in. When I mentioned it to the desk attendant, I was told it was from cleaning and that it would dry eventually. It did dry, but I couldn't walk around the room with socks on until it did.

Room Tip: If you have perfume allergies, be sure the carpet wasn't recently cleaned. The odor dissipates...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
RapidRiverLodge, Owner at Comfort Suites Rapid River Lodge, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thank you so much for returning and being such a loyal customer. It's just a touch embarrasing that we didn't make sure the carpet was dry before returning the room to use. I hope you know us well enough that we would sure switch your room in that type of situation. We have such a good reputation for cleanliness that we sometimes error in the wrong direction. I'm also going to try to see what the cleaner is using for scent and relay your comment in hopes we can prevent others from finding it strong like you did. Once again, thank you for coming back, hope to see you again soon. PS- I'll relay your comments to the staff at Prairrie Bay also, they are a great neighbor and one of Minnesota's finest restaraunts.
Cedar Grove, Wisconsin
Reviewed December 13, 2012

I traveled through this area on business and stayed 2 nights. Lots of restaurants in the area to pick from - Applebees, Olive Garden, Grizzly's, etc. Hotel has the whole rustic, lodge, fishing, wilderness theme. It got a bit old after a while to see fish or fishing related paraphenlia on the walls, floors, lamps, curtains, etc.
When I checked in I was not greated or thanked, or nothing! Not even a simple "Hello, how can I help you?" was offered. I had to prompt the young women behind the desk for everything . . . she gave off a VERY negative vibe and was overall quite rude. As I was leaving for dinner (& when I returned) she gave me very nasty looks. I didn't say anything to her but did mention to the front desk manager when I checked out that I wish I would have stayed else where due to her rudeness.
I had a king room with a sofa sleeper. Room was very nice - again a little nauseating with all the fish and fish related stuff, but it was very comfy. Lots of light, good curtains if you want to snuggle in and sleep in a bit. Large bathroom and desk if needed to work. Room had a fridge & microwave plus a counter if you wanted to prepare simple meals.
Lots of options for breakfast in the morning; fireplace was up & lit when I went down for a snack in the morning. Very comforting.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
RapidRiverLodge, Owner at Comfort Suites Rapid River Lodge, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
I was very disheartened reading you response and want to personally apologize to you. As you can see from the many other great comments we work very hard on making every guest feel welcome. I promise to look into who worked the evening of your arrival and remind them how a single look or the slightest negative feeling can turn a guest off. I hope we get the opportunity to prove it to you on a future trip to the Brainerd/Baxter area.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baxter
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Brainerd-Baxter
Arrowwood Lodge At Brainerd Lakes
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Baxter
Baymont Inn & Suites Baxter/Brainerd Area
Days Inn & Suites Baxter Brainerd Area
Cragun's Resort on Gull Lake
Cragun's Resort on Gull Lake
#2 of 3 in East Gull Lake

Been to Comfort Suites Rapid River Lodge? Share your experiences!