“Overall good package”
Review of Ballard's Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Baudette
Ballard's Resort
Reviewed June 25, 2014

Everything at Ballard's is great...staff, service, food, drinks, fishing guides. If you have little kids, this is a great spot as they have a nice pool. If little kids are not your thing, steer clear. The pool is overrun by the owner's kids and their friends and family's kids.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Jina J

Reviewed January 28, 2014

Great for large groups or small groups. We had an almost two year old and she was treated really really great by the staff. The shrimp and steak here are really good. Lunch here is always a must for us. We come all the way from Texas to get the fried pork loin sandwich. Well, we come to visit and be tourists but have to get to Ballard's for lunch at least. My aunt and my husband love that sandwich. They have had it in other places and states but Ballard's does it best. I really like the Blasted Poultry. It's kind of like a pulled Pork sandwich but with just chicken and sauce instead. It's so messy but delicious! Try the smoked walleye appetizer. You get a larger fillet than I would have thought we would get for an appetizer and it's served with cream cheese and crackers. We had a group of ten, ordered two but had quite a bit left over. Great on its own. It needs salt but is really yummy with some added. The soup and salad bar is really good too. I was surprised at the number of fresh salad items available. They had creamy wild rice and chicken soup that day and it was superb. The chicken tasted smoky and it was really different and yummy. The homemade rolls were light and yummy too. They didn't have any lo cal dressing but had quite a few options available including vinegar and oil. Prices are really good for a resort restaurant. Seem lower actually than other resorts in the area. Great service too! Jackie is the best waitress ever! Tip her well!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank hr78932
Reviewed January 20, 2014

4 man fish house ready to go, warm, clean, cook kit, bait and cooperatidive fish.
Then a emergency call to the lodge with chest pains!
In less than 5 min. 4 bombardiers and 4 men all of which had 1st aid and one a former paramedic
loading me up and getting me to a hospitail in Baudett.
Another stayed behind to help bring the rest of the crew in.
Thanks for being ready for me! All is well!
We will return.
Dave1/14

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank David D
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Loved Ballards! Went for a 4 night, 3 day fishing trip over Memorial Day 2013. The weather was perfect and the fishing was good. My daughter caught a trophy Walleye and we all caught numerous fish. Captain Mer was awesome and we all enjoyed his company. Beautiful grounds and a nice big wooden 'pier'/dock all along the water and plenty of grassy areas. Each cabin has it's own grill and wood deck for relaxing. Fun memories :)

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank kloverfield
Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

We spent three nights at the resort and two days fishing in mid January. The service was great and the staff friendly. The ice house was clean and they made it comfortable for the ladies in our group by providing a heated shack as a porta potty.

• Stayed: January 2013
5  Thank MikenMary08
Reviewed July 9, 2012

The staff at Ballards Resort are awsome -- we stayed with them for 4 nights. The cabin was very clean. The lounge and restaurant are also awsome. We enjoyed our stay, even though we did not catch any fish !

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank cthender
Reviewed June 10, 2011

This review comes from "Mr. Plainswoman":

My dad said it best: "It isn't very often that a place turns out better than the brochures". He said this after a trip where the weather was lousy for two of the three days, and the fishing was subpar at best, but Ballard resort had definitely outdone their brochure. We arrived at about 8:00 p.m. and were greeted in a very friendly manner, given a quick overview of tomorrows activities, and helped with the assorted paperwork one needed to fill in order to fish in Minnesota. We were given the keys to our cabin and invited to come back to the restaurant. The cabin was roomy, had two bedrooms that slept 5 people in single beds (one was a bunk bed), plus a convertible couch in the living room. There was a kitchen with stove, microwave, full size refrigerator, coffee maker and dishes. There was a table for 6, plus picnic tables in the yard.

However, we weren't planning to cook, since we had purchased the "meals inclusive" package, so off we went to the restaurant. The package essentially offers guests anything on the menu, except alcoholic beverages. I had seen another online review that gave the restaurant itself 5 stars. I wouldn't necessarily go that far (I'd go for 4), but I would be surprised if there is a better restaurant within 100 miles. During my stay, I had smoked walleye, baby back ribs, blasted (barbecued with cheese) chicken, and Cajun walleye. All were excellent My dad was very impressed, in general, but said that the steak that he had ordered was a little overdone. Breakfast was table service for two of the days and buffet for two of the days. The food was delicious and plentiful, and consisted of the kind of foods you would expect to feed a bunch of fishermen on vacation, but also included the northernmost biscuits and gravy I have ever had (excellent). One of the buffets included cheese omelets that were wonderful. On the downside, the made-to-order scrambled eggs were scrambled in the pan, giving too much separation of white and yolk, and the coffee was pretty bland.

At 8:00 A.M. the fleet of a dozen or so boats goes out fishing. While I was there, the hot spot was about an hour and a half away at the northwestern end of the lake. There are generally 6 to a boat, and plenty of room for those six. Ladies, be warned that the "facilities" are much more amenable to men than women, although women were certainly welcome. I get the impression that fishermen often stay with one guide throughout their trip, but we ended up having three guides in three days. All were professional, knowledgeable, friendly and fun to be around. Lunch (for those on the meal plan) is a sandwich lunch on the boat, or a shore lunch where the resort cooks your fish on the shore. By "your fish" I mean fish caught by everyone on boats doing shore lunches. Fish that are kept are thrown into a cooler, and are not tagged according to who caught them. In Minnesota, walleyes between 19.5" and 28" must be released, and the guides are scrupulous about this. One fish over 28" may be kept, but since we didn't get any of those I can't say how that works. Our "shore lunch" was served in a the restaurant, since the wind made fishing out on the lake impossible, and I'm sure that we ate more walleye than we caught that morning. I can't describe the shore experience, but I can tell you that the food was wonderful and I highly recommend it.

The meal plan included breakfast on departure day. The checkout process was pretty slow, since it often included several buddies trying to divide up the bill on the spot rather than later. We checked out and were handed four walleye (the limit) cleaned and frozen, and two sauger (our share of boat's catch, although we had caught one between to two of us), and sent on our way.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family