“Perfect - like your own peaceful vacation home.”

Xanadu Island Bed & Breakfast and Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Battle Lake
new york
“Perfect - like your own peaceful vacation home.”
Reviewed April 5, 2014

We stayed here last summer as part of a Minnesota vacation. Food, room, and atmosphere were all great. Bubba and Margie of course were great, along with Kendra, (the granddaughter), who had a real summer job, taking care of the guests, cooking, working, and water skiing. Margie picked out a place for us to eat in town, which was great.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Morris, Minnesota
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Wow. My boyfriend and I just stayed at Xanadu this last weekend. We were celebrating the end of harvest for him and some much needed time away together. When we first arrived, Margie warmly greeted us with fresh brownies. She gave us an overview of the facility and all of the amenities. My first impression was that the place was so cozy and perfect. Our room was beautiful and the jacuzzi was heaven. The bed and linens were all fresh and very comfortable. And the view of the lake in the morning was gorgeous! I will warn people that wake up from sunlight to bring a sleep mask. I had mine with me and was able to sleep in as long as I needed and wake up to a gorgeous view of the lake.
The breakfast blew me away. It was like a three course breakfast, all homemade, all delicious. My boyfriend is a very picky eater and liked everything she made. We were always very full and very satisfied afterwards.
It was very nice to be Margie's only guests. I'm sure we would have had just as good of service and care if we weren't though. This is the third bed and breakfast I have stayed in and is the best of the three. I would go so far to say it's the best place I have stayed. Margie truly cares about her guests experiences. I really liked when we arrived and she said, "The only thing I ask is that you just totally enjoy yourselves." From the location, the home, the jacuzzi, the food, the warm fireplace, and especially, the time we got together, I assure you Margie that we really did. Can't wait to be back, it was so hard to leave!

Room Tip: Lakeside room is a beautiful view of the lake. One of the two rooms with jacuzzi along with Ella'...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Andrea S
Ocean Springs, Mississippi
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Recently spent three days at Xanadu and it exceeded my expectations in every way...well maybe except for the driveway into the property which is really a narrow path...but once you get there you will be thrilled. Trust the signs and just keep going on in!

First class accommodations in a beautifully restored old beautiful log cabin. In additon all the bathrooms have been completely redone so they are modern, stylish, and very high end and again exceed the expectations.

Margie puts out spectacular breakfasts and treats you like family and not guests and Bubba loves to share stories over the breakfast table as well.

All in all I would highly recommend you give it a try, as I am sure you too will find it beyond your expectations.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Alexandria, Minnesota
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Xanadu is a combination of bed and breakfast and resort and is really one of a kind. My husband and I just celebrated our five year wedding anniversary there and had a wonderful time. Margie and Bubba, the innkeepers were extremely accommodating and made us feel so welcome. I have stayed at numerous inns and this one goes above and beyond in every way. The main house has four bedrooms and they are all beautiful and comfortable. There are also several cabins to rent. We got to peek in them and they are very well appointed. You can be as busy as you want with all the activities everyone has already mentioned or just do nothing and sit in one of their comfy rockers and look at the lake. Food was fantastic and Margie's cookies are especially delicious. There is a lovely story and history about this place, and you can read about it when you are there or Bubba and Margie can tell it in their own very charming manner. We are looking forward to bringing our employees and their spouses there for a retreat in the coming year.

Room Tip: We had the Lakeview Room - but they are all lovely.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kathryn L
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

This is a great bed and breakfast if you want to get away from it all. The house is on an island in a beautiful lake, joined to the mainland by a short causeway. There are boats, canoes, and kayaks for guests to use. Cake, cookies and soft drinks are available for guests during the day. Breakfasts are wonderful. A highly recommended bed and breakfast

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank kayak22
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed August 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed in the Lakeside Room in the lodge. The room offers a great view of the lake and lots of fresh lake air. Great sleeping, comfy bed. The breakfasts were delicious and the portions, huge. There's a lot to do, as other reviewers have indicated: kayaking, canoeing, swimming, fishing, loon-watching, enjoying the evening bonfire. The lake is small, clean, and quiet, and the location here, though secluded, is handy to other area lakes, close to the village of Battle Lake, and only 20 miles or so from interstate 94.

As with most b and b's, if you stay in the lodge, you'll have ample opportunity to chat with other guests and the friendly hosts at breakfast. If you don't like to be sociable before (or presentable at) breakfast, you might opt for one of the three cabins instead. Also, staying in the lodge seems best suited for couples.

We had stayed here once before and loved it. We were not disappointed on this return trip.

Room Tip: If you stay in a lodge room on the upper floor, you'll need to walk up a spiral staircase; there...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Haleyx
Walker, Missouri
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Despite several thunderstorms that rocked the island, our stay was just as wonderful as our previous visits. My wife and I's recent stay marked our 10th wedding anniversary and our 11th stay at Xanadu! The combination of superb food, spectacular accommodations, and extremely gracious hosts make Xanadu an absolute on our travel itinerary every year! We have already booked our next stay with Bubba and Margie for next summer!

Room Tip: We love the "Blue Room" because of its simplicity. Plus it was the very first room we eve...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
#5 of 7 in Fergus Falls
Battle Lake Inn and Suites
Battle Lake Inn and Suites
#2 of 3 in Battle Lake

Been to Xanadu Island Bed & Breakfast and Resort? Share your experiences!