“Public for the Family”

Public
Ranked #5 of 43 Restaurants in Zeeland
Cuisines: American
Reviewed August 9, 2017

My husband and I have only eaten here twice and not recently. We are usually out and about in other cities since we like to go trail walking but the two times we did eat here they were very pleasant and the food was good. It is basically a sandwich and burger place with a similar atmosphere but not as noisy as a Burger King or McDonalds. If you are downtown shopping in Zeeland it is a good place to chill and fill your tummy, and, Zeeland as well as our sister city of Holland are still some of the really good 'go for a walk downtown' cities in Michigan. They both actually have stores that you can shop in and not just a bunch of attorney and realtor places like a lot of cities in Michigan are turning into.

Reviewed August 8, 2017 via mobile

Over-hyped in my opinion. Food was average despite it being a little pricey. We sat outside which is close to a stop sign thus stuck with a lot of car noise. Lots of car noise.

Reviewed June 28, 2017

We visited here for the first time and liked it. The Pub Cheese dip appetizer was excellent. The Chicken Cutlet was very tasty and I would order this again. The Pork Chop was the only meal I would not recommend. It was very chewy and dry and did not have much of a taste. We had a couple of the local beers and they were good too.
Server was very nice although we had to remind her a couple of times for refills. We plan on returning.

Reviewed May 27, 2017 via mobile

Started with Nana's cheese. It's okay, to much horseradish. I had the salmon special. Grilled salmon with BBQ, onion and bacon marmalade. Buiscut and creamed corn. Salmon was cooked perfect, not to much, just a little pink inside. The BBQ was to spicy, it took away from the fish. My wife had the whitefish special. Crab crusted whitefish with shoestring potatoes. Outstanding. Dessert carrot cake. Fantastic! And blonde with brown butter ice cream.. oohh my goodness. That's awesome. I'll go back again. Restaurant was busy so we sat at the community table. I was surprised it was fun.

Reviewed May 13, 2017 via mobile

Went here for the first time a few days ago. The server was great in giving us her suggestions. She was also patient with us and served us well.

We ordered avocado egg rolls (delicious), meatloaf (very good), and a pesto pasta dish with chicken. All the flavors were quite good, but there were two negatives. The first is minor. The second more significant.

1) The meatloaf seemed to be too salty for my taste, and I wish there would have been a little more gravy either on the dish or on the side.
2) The chicken in the pesto dish had a very odd texture to it. It almost tasted like it had cartilage inside of it. We couldn't finish the chicken because of that.

We did not mention to our waitress because she was so nice, and we didn't want to disappoint. But, I imagine the establishment would take care of such complaints. Overall, we did like the atmosphere and the concept as well as many of the flavors.