“Consistently Good Food”

Cuisines: American
Muskegon, Michigan
“Consistently Good Food”
Reviewed April 16, 2014

I am a Zeelander and am thrilled to have Public in downtown Zeeland (and not in Holland). The food is consistently good, but by Zeeland standards it is SUPERB! The chef ups the game for his audience - remember you are in small town mid-west America. I am excited that he is trying to expand the Zeeland palate ever so slightly. Keep up the good work.

Zeeland, Michigan
“Watch what you TIP!”
Reviewed April 16, 2014

I work near downtown Zeeland so one day after work a few buddies and I decided to hit up Public for some beers. When we arrived we were nearly the only ones there so we took a seat at their tiny excuse for a bar. It took us forever to be served, which was shocking considering we were literally the only ones there. The bar tender was a rude women who obviously hated her job. She never asked us if we were ready for another round. We had to sit around and wait for her to come back from updating the daily specials board before we could get refills. Once the bill came we decided our service wasn't that great so we each tipped about $3 bucks on our bills which was just a few rounds of drinks. As we were about to get up to leave the bar tender grabbed our bills and made a nasty comment on how much we tipped. We were taken off guard and didn't know what to say so we tryed to explain that the service wasn't that great.

Thats not the end of the story. Two weeks later I decided to go back with a different friend. We sat at the bar again and the same bar tender was there and she called me out in front of my friend. I was shocked and embarrassed at how rude this girl was. This girl needs to learn to let things go.

It is too bad because it seems like a nice little place to eat or grab some beers. I have eaten there before these events occured and the food is actually very good. Unfortunately, I will never return because who knows this waitress may call me out in front of another friend or family member.

• Visited May 2013
4 Thank Bryan K
Zeeland, Michigan
“Handcrafted comfort foods, yes please!”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

The tagline says it all! Handcrafted comfort foods to me means deliciousness! The food is real, no frozen and reheated food here. I spoke with the chef and he said that they don't even have a freezer! Everything is made in house and you can really tell by the quality. There seems to always be an extra layer of flavor that most restuarant food misses. The atmosphere is relaxed and sexy.

• Visited March 2014
“Great food-Very Loud and Small Inside”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Public has supper food, super service, and is great for downtown Zeeland. For me, it is really loud inside and on the small side so I always feel claustrophobic and can't hear my friends. They do a great job so it's worth it!

Holland, MI
“Consistently Excellent.”
Reviewed March 29, 2014

The only negative about this restaurant is that it is in Zeeland - other than that, it is perfect. If it were in Holland, there would be a wonderful down downtown to enjoy after dinner.
I was surprised by some of the unfounded negative comments when I read other reviews. I suspect that they were written by Zeeland natives whose previous dining experiences were limited to Burger Kind.
Yes, on Mondays, they have a $5 burger that costs a little extra if ordered any way other than plain. Its a great burger. The sandwiches are excellent and varied. The lunch time tomato soup is a nice change from fries, although its hard not to order their fries.