“First class beach resort, but Omani atmosphere sadly lacking.”

Shangri La Barr Al Jissah Resort & Spa-Al Waha
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Barr Al Jissah
Menerbes, France
“First class beach resort, but Omani atmosphere sadly lacking.”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

For a few days by the beach, Al Waha is absolutely superb. At first sight this appears to be a big hotel, but the spacious beach and pool areas mean that you don't have to be packed shoulde rto shoulder with other tourists. The beach boys are very attentive, and come round dropping off cool boxes with complimentary bottled water, and cold flannels to sooth heated brows.

Attentive service extends also to the inside of the hotel, and if anything, the number of people rushing up to open doors, pour you another glass of orange juice, or just generally ask after your health, can become a liittle overbearing.

Rooms are spacious and clean.

The food served throughout the resort is very good. Starting with breakfast, there is everything you could possible want, as long as it doesn't contain pork.

Moving on to the restaurants, the Asia restaurant is outstanding, serving a good selection of Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese etc. My chicken rendang was superb, and my wife's sweet and sour fish equally so. Being set back from the beach and a short walk from the hotels, Asia was very quiet, but I would strongly recommend visitors to give it a try.

Much busier and sometimes difficult to book, is the Bait Al Bahr fish restaurant. After my first visit, I concluded that this was one of the best restaurants I have eaten in anywhere, which is saying something, so we booked a second night, and were equally impressed. High spots were the starter of Champagne Veloute, served with a twirl of smoked salmon and the chef's special of Hamour (one of the most common Omani fish) with a date glaze, but the tuna and grouper were also impressive. The restaurant is on the beach, and if you sit oudoors your meal is accompanied by the sound of the waves on the shore, but be warned, even at 9 at night in October, the temperature was still in the 30's.

The hotels obviously source their fish locally, and just before sunset you might see a fishing boat pull up on the beach, and the chef's come out in their whites to weigh crates of still flapping fish and do the deal. Other than that, there was little to remind us that we were actually in Oman, as opposed to any other hot country, so you might want to get out and see some of the country while you are there!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
markskirk, General Manager at Shangri La Barr Al Jissah Resort & Spa-Al Waha, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear Rickx, Thank you for sharing your feedback with the fans of TripAdvisor in regards to your recent visit to Oman and the resort. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and thank you for taking the time to share your recommendations so that other readers can enjoy the facilities as much as you did. In particularly I would like to thank you for highlighting the resort uses local products purchased directly from the fishermen who deliver to the beach. This is one of many initiatives the resort has to support the community. Warm regards, Mark Kirk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We spent a whole week in our honeymoon in this hotel, and was really worth it! The scenario is unbelievable, and you can take advantage of the other 2 hotels in the resort, walk around and take some pics. I enjoyed the pools, the sea and the spa, very relaxing.
The restaurants are also great... and there are lot of restaurants! We tried to go to all of then, but there were too many restaurants. On average, very expensive, but very good too.
The distance from the city center have it pros and cons. The good is you couldn't have such an atmosphere like that in the middle of the city. The bad is that you spend a lot to get anywhere, and hotel taxis are more expensive than the regular ones, or you can manage to use the hotel shuttle. We found a very friendly taxi driver in the city, bargained a lot (like everything in Oman) and arranged for him to pick us up everyday and take us to the main places in Muscat.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a great view, especially if front to the pool
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear udn, Thank you for choosing the resort to celebrate your honeymoon and sharing your positive feedback with the readers of TripAdvisor. I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate you and wish you all the best for the future together. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and managed to enjoy all the facilities amongst the three hotels that make up the resort. The location of the resort was handpicked due to the beauty of the area and secluded beaches and I am happy to hear that you also explored the city center of Muscat which is about 25 minutes from the resort. Warm regards, Mark Kirk
muscat
Reviewed October 6, 2013

To begin with I should mention that we were lucky to get a very reasonable room rate due to the fact that we were using some 2-nights-for-the-price-of-one voucher from the "Entertainer" coupon book. That said, after wining and dining for two days and nights, the final bill was not exactly low...
Arrival: after a long drive (70 kms) from the other end of Muscat, we arrived on a Thursday evening. We waited well over 20 minutes to be checked in, despite the fact that only one family was being checked in before us - and they were already i the middle of the process when we walked in.
Several staff members walked around the reception desk and in and out of the office behind, but no-one asked if we needed help. Not too good a start.
The family before us must have been really difficult, because when we were eventually attended to, we had our key cards in less than 5 minutes.
we were shown to our room on the top floor and the bags arrived within 3 minutes.
The room was pleasant, without being especially memorable or "Arabic" in design.
We had a pretty view over the pools and the beach (sideways) and I do not think that this particular hotel has any rooms with a bad view.
During the first evening we noticed that we had no hot water at all in the bathroom. Just barely luke-warm. It being late in the evening by then, we waited to report the problem the next morning. They promissed to fix it, but by 4 p.m. on day 2 we were still without hot water. We called again and a technician showed up withing 5 minutes - and then summoned 2 colleagues and the 3 of them worked away. Eventually they managed to get things straightened out and we were able to enjoy hot showers.

The grounds and facilities:
These are beautiful. Plenty of pools, ut they are of the relaxing and splashing around in variety. Quite shallow and not really good for doing laps (not that I wanted to do that). The "lazy river" is a nice gimmick. The beach is really nice and kept immaculate. There are always lots of fish, crabs and other creatures around the sides of the bay by the rocks on either end. Bring your snorkel, mask and fins!

The resaturants and bars:
Hmmmmm. Therein lies the dilema. Food wise. The service staff is simply superb!
We had dinner the first night at "Capri Court". Cool decor, but some strange (and indoors too loud) Italian music, with some singer clearly being in great emotional distress. MY food was very good I must say. Every dish we ordered was presented extremely well. No complaints there. My wife was, apart from the look of the food, not so lucky. Her scallop appetizer was inedible. Extremely overcooked seafood bullets would be an accurate description. Sent the dish back. Scallops # 2 were a bit better, but still on the overdone side. Wife was hungry and so she ate the dish. Main course: my duck was excellent. Wife ordered a pasta dish. Nice enough filling, but raw pasta around it. No, not Al Dente, but raw. Severelu undercooked. Sent the dish back. Not possible to have another one of the same thing apparently, so she chose another pasta dish. Mistake. Whilst the sauce and other ingredients were good, again the past itself was near raw. It actually crunched when cut and a cleas white line of flour was visible. We passed on attempt 3 and left still hungry. Both of us, because my wife ate half of my dinner. Such is love.
Again, the waiters were SO sweet and tried their best to make things right. The poor things were so embarassed. Of course we were not charged for the pasta dishes and we were also not charged for our 2 glasses of wine.
Back in the room, we ordered room service. Not exciting. Her pasta (we should have known beytter by now) was unexciting. Bland and washed out flavours with bits of stuff on a pile of noodles. I think it was called "stir fried" on the menu (but I am not sure about that). My plate of fries was stale, with an odd smell and tallow-ey taste. Something that felt scraped togehter from a buffet.
Breakfast at Al Waha's restaurant was OK. Not too exciting and a bit strangely laid out.
Most of the food was cooked very well (or better said very LONG), as the Arabic clientel seem to preffer their food definately cooked to death. Again, the service was lovely and cheerfull and they made great coffee, according to my wife. A highlight was that apparently they plaid "Hava Nagila" over the music system, which causes a stir amongst the local people. (Unfortunately I missed that highlight due to a restroom break)
Lunches were beachside and food and beverage seemed to come from the "Assira" restaurant. Everything was very good. Well presented, generously portined and very tasty. Great job!
We had a dinner at the "Al Husn" section of the hotel, at "Sultanah" restaurant.
Because inside the restaurant it was dead, we sat outside and enjoyed a nice Omani night under the stars (even if that meant it was difficult to see the food).
They had only JUST changed the menu and my favorite beef steak tarare was no longer on the menu. The chef made me one anyway. NICE!
We planned to have a steak dinner, but the quite astonishing prices made us change our mind and we ended up having a very good sea food dinner.
A few glasses of wine from a smart wine list and again excellent service made this a good experience.
Special mention to Mr. Dicky and his colleagues from the stunning "Piano Bar".
That bloke is a real star. Superb service, nice snacks and realy whacky cocktails.
A real highlight of the stay.
In conclusion: the resort earns TOP marks for its staff and service, great facilities and serene setting. It loses points for inconsistant food and a few small maintainance issues.

Room Tip: At the Al Waha part of the property, I would always request a room as high up as possible.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank gerhard1965
markskirk, General Manager at Shangri La Barr Al Jissah Resort & Spa-Al Waha, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear gerhard1965muscat, Thank you for taking your time to share your detailed review with the readers of TripAdvisor in regards to your recent stay in Al Waha. We have discussed your constructive feedback both positive and areas for improvement in detail from the feedback we received directly from you. Please accept my sincere apologies for the issue you had with the hot water. This was caused by a boiler fault and once reported took a few hours to resolve. We were in the process of changing menus during your stay and in fact reduced the prices of Bait Al Bahr significantly by using local fishermen bringing their catch directly to the shores of the resort rather than using imported fish. This caused a few issues which I sincerely apologize for. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay. Warm regards, Mark Kirk
Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

We were clearly there off season as there was very few other guests which made for a very peaceful stay. The beach was stunning, although cushions on the loungers would have been a serious bonus! Staff were generally extremely helpful, the housekeeping staff particularly so. The room was comfortable if not very large. Breakfast was great, and to get decent coffee with it was a plus! The major downside was the rest of the dining experiences, as other reviewers have mentioned, eating around the resort is prohibitively expensive. The biggest issue we had though was a room service meal we ordered one night. My chicken green curry was made with chicken thighs, all I can say is that I wish I had thighs that thin!! It was a real disappointment and barely edible, yet at a cost including all the taxes of about £15. It all took the edge off what was otherwise a lovely stay.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
markskirk, General Manager at Shangri La Barr Al Jissah Resort & Spa-Al Waha, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Dear Carol P, Thank you for taking the time to review the resort recently in regards to your recent stay with us. I am delighted to read that in general you enjoyed your stay and for highlighting the breakfast and quality of coffee served. In regards to the green chicken curry I have discussed your feedback with the chef and will ensure that the portion size of chicken reflects the price charged. In regards to the pricing of the food and beverages at the resort, I can assure you that in most cases we charge less than our local competitors and are constantly looking at ways to add value for money to our restaurants. Warm regards, Mark Kirk
Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed September 25, 2013

We stayed at Al Wadi. Rooms were generic with modern styling. Second floor sea view was more like tree view. I requested our mini bar be updated with diet coke (on the menu). First day delivered, 2nd day request took 2 hours and it was delivered by room service which cost more. Later 2 cans appeared on the desk, not in fridge. Our sons room was cleaned and he found a cigarette butt on the side table. The room was non-smoking. He spoke to someone from housekeeping and no one ever came to check about it. Complimentary shuttle service was supposed to be available to move from one hotel to another. At Al Waha it was difficult. At Husn there were loads of golf carts. Different level of service. Mem must wear long pants and closed toed shoes to most of the restaurants and you must make reservations for all restaurants at night. They need to state this when you book a room. We were going to a beach resort and brought clothing in that vain. Luckily my guys each had a pair of shoes and a pair of pants to wear but it could have been sad if they had not. We had fantastic, expensive food. There are some very good restaurants but plan on paying the price! Breakfast is noisy so eat at Al Bandar if you don't have little kids.

Room Tip: Sea view but on an upper floor. We requested over the phone a month before arrival and did not get i...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
markskirk, General Manager at Shangri La Barr Al Jissah Resort & Spa-Al Waha, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear mickiehass, Thank you for staying with us recently and sharing your feedback with the readers of TripAdvisor. While I am delighted you enjoyed your stay please accept my apologies for the inconvenience you experienced with the inconsistencies in the service. Once you preference for diet coke was advised the team should have proactively stocked your mini bar with this item. In regards to the dress codes we are reviewing this but will remain with smart casual including trousers for men in Al Husn. Warm regards Mark Kirk
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed September 21, 2013

I found this hotel to be nice, however, were very disappointed with the Shangri-la. Starting with our luggage taking nearly an hour to get to our room, the rooms are generally outdated to a standard expected of Shangri-la hotels. Breakfast is standard, No smiles or pleasantness from any of the staff. We will come to muscat but we'll stay at the Chedi instead, this hotel has no soul or character.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
markskirk, General Manager at Shangri La Barr Al Jissah Resort & Spa-Al Waha, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear adventurous_jaye, Thank you for staying with us recently and sharing your feedback via TripAdvisor, obviously its concerning that you found the staff unfriendly as we pride ourselves with the friendliness of our staff. I will certainly discuss your feedback with the team personally. I would also like to apologize for the delay you had with your luggage delivery. I hope that you enjoyed your overall stay with us. Warm regards, Mark Kirk
australia
Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights this week!!! One word!! "Amazing"!
Travelled with my husband and four children:
1-Stunning spotless modern rooms, with amazing views of beach!
2- endless pools to suit all
3- a lazy river that takes u all around the resort
4-beautiful clean beach!! Nicest I've seen and I travel at least 4 times a year
-great for families, honey mooners and any one who wants an amazing escape
-great food!!!

Did not want to leave!! I will definately fly back again, but this time I will stay a lot longer!!!

Thank you for an amazing 4 days!!!

• Stayed September 2013
Dear girls4Australia, Thank you for your positive review on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to hear you and your family enjoyed your stay and plan to visit us longer on your next visit. Thank you for highlighting the beaches, lazy river, rooms, pools and most importantly the food. We all look forward to welcoming you back to the resort. Warm regards, Mark Kirk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barr Al Jissah
#8 of 56 in Muscat
Al Bustan Palace, A Ritz-Carlton Hotel
Radisson Blu Hotel, Muscat
InterContinental Hotel Muscat

Been to Shangri La Barr Al Jissah Resort & Spa-Al Waha? Share your experiences!