“I wanted to like it - but there was little to like. :-(”
Review of Haab's Restaurant

Haab's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Haab's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 176 Restaurants in Ypsilanti
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 20, 2010

I've drove by Haab's countless times over the years, but only recently did I finally have the opportunity to dine in. Despite a rather unfortunate experience at Haab's some 15 years earlier (involving a cockroack!) my parents agreed to join, as did 4 other family members. I wanted to like the place, but Unfortunately, Haab's disapointed at every level, from facilities to service to food, and I was completely NOT impressed and would NOT recommend Haab's to anyone until they make some major changes.

The Facilities:
Haab's is located in a historic building in Ypsilanti's historic downtown district. The area is nice and there is plenty of parking both on street and in nearby parking lots. While the building dates from the 1870s and features a handsome and largely original (though whitewashed) exterior, the interior has been heavily modified over the years. While some original woodwork, stained glass, tin ceiling, and an interesting pully system that operates the ceiling fans do exist, the rest of the building looks like something cheap from the 70s. The bathrooms are located in the basement, and you can smell them from the top of the stairs. The stall door was missing it's lock, and the restrooms were dirty.

Service:
The two most important things at a restaurant are the service and the food. Haab's disappointed in both regards. The hostess seemd confused, and despite a plethora of empty tables, she insisted she could not seat our group of 7 together, and we ended up with 4 people in a booth in one room, and 3 people in a booth in another room. We stayed for an hour and a half, and nobody ever occupied any of the many empty tables we could have pushed together so all 7 of us could sit together. Our waitress was rude and very unattentive - I had to ask for a water refill. When I ordered a lemonade, she informed me they had their own lemonade that was carbonated, I said that was fine. She failed to mention that unlike almost everyplace else, there were no free refills, and I was never asked if I would like a second lemonade. While we were served bread after we sat down, we were not given a bread knife, though several other tables were.

The Food
A less than steller atmosphere and horrible service can only be offset by one thing - and that is good food. Unfortunately, with the sole exception of an excellent baked potato, all of my food ranged between bad and mediocre. I ordered a meal that for $18 came with a 6oz sirloin steak and a fish of choice (whitefish) and it came with a choice of 2 sides. I choose the baked potaoto, which as I mentioned was excellent - about as perfectly cooked as a baked potato can be - and "fries" of some sort, which were quite awful. The steak was bland and flavorless and not cooked as ordered, and the fish was among the worst Ive had. My girlfriend's fries came with something that clearly didn't belong on the plate, and looked like burned chewing gum. My parents and aunt and uncle and cousin were all likewise unimpressed with their meals.

The menu was printed on a thin piece of paper that served as a placemat - I thought this was rather tacky for a nice, sit down restaurant. I also thought the menu was a little small, and no non-alcoholic drinks were listed on either the paper placemat menu, or a secondary drinks menu.

I try to support local businesses, and spend my money in the area where I live, but unless there are some major changes made at Haab's, I won't be spending my money there again - there are far better dining options in the Ypsilanti and Ann Arbor areas.

Reviewed January 4, 2010

We had a dinner catered for us by Haab's at the Queen's Residence B&B.

The food was tasty and wholesome, and represented good value for money.

Reviewed October 19, 2009

The food and service is excellant. It isn't "yuppified" and Vegans beware. For old fashioned good food, it is great. Just as good as it was 50 years ago.I was pleasantly surprised. as that is how long it has been since I've been there. As for the person who said they would go to Cady's ...That's where they will be comfortable. Too bad they cleaned up Depot Town, those people would stay in Ann Arbor where they belong.As for the person who couldn't beleive " in this day and age Ice berg lettuce" Habbs is not a trendy resturant. They don't need to change their menu every ten years to suit the newest college students.The food that was really good in 1934 is still good in 2009. Thank you Habbs for not changing and staying a wonderful place to dine.

1  Thank gogogranny01
Reviewed October 17, 2009

I went to Haab's with an open mind wondering why I hadn't come sooner since we live in the area. However, I realized that the reason is simply there are much better options in Ypsilanti and Ann Arbor. It seemed like a poorly executed Knight's. My whitefish was unpleasant as were the ribs. My husband like the London Broil okay. Overall, though, I wouldn't return. I'd drive a half mile further and have a great burger at Sidetrack's.

Reviewed June 25, 2009

This comment is in response to that real "high socioty" moroun who complained that he was "not impressed with Haabs". His compliants stemmed from such trival things as the menu being on paper and the quality of the food being "just ok". Listen moose head you don't stay around as long as Haabs has stayed around simply by having a historic building, which was the high point of your expierence there according to the review you gave. I can probably assume that you and your wife are of the snobby sort which explains why you recieved bad treatment from the waitress. Money does not grow on trees and neither do good waitress that can handle cattering to the hard to please oblivious rich elite types of the world. So in closing i recomend a place that is more suited to your type of character, a place like the gandy danceer in ann arbor where a hamburger is 14 frikin dollars and the food when served looks like little arts and crafts projects. You can also find a guy in the bathroom to dry your hands for you, but you have tip him and unfortunatley he does not except change!!!