“Excellent Barbecue and Great Beer Selection - Vegans -- enjoy the sides” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Red Rock Downtown Barbecue

Red Rock Downtown Barbecue
Ranked #6 of 167 Restaurants in Ypsilanti
Cuisines: Pub, Gastropub, Bar, Barbecue
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: We are a Barbecue restaurant centered around smoked, quality meats and southern comfort food. Black Angus brisket Burnt Ends are a must try! Our full bar features 20 Craft Beers on draft and many more in bottles. Great Happy Hour daily 3pm - 6pm and 9pm - Close.
“Excellent Barbecue and Great Beer Selection - Vegans -- enjoy the sides”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

Not sure why I can't give it a 5 star, but it is definitely a 4.5. I guess I was a bit disappointed there were no sides with my sandwich. I mean, come on, chips are a no brainer. Okay, enough of the -.5, here's the rest of the 5 points and why it is a solid 4.5 in my book.

Sitting in stalled traffic on I-94, leaving Detroit, I flip to my Rate Beer app looking for a good place to wait out the rush. RRDB is at the top of the list for both number of stars and proximity! I think I know why.

There were over 20-30 great beers on tap (I couldn't count them all after I started on my porter) listed on their chalk board. Happy hour was 4-6 with half price on all taps, so I went for a 20 oz. porter du jour! Then, I ordered their CAROLINA CLUB sandwich. OMG!!! Heaven on toast. Pulled pork and bacon, North Carolina barbecue sauce, swiss, romaine, tomato and hawaiian aioli on texas rye toast. It was the best ten bucks I ever spent -- on food! YUMMMM! Their meat is genuine Southern, hand-rubbed, slow-smoked bbq where the meat falls apart as you eat it. No sides were a disappointment, but I would have ordered the collard greens if I had more of an appetite. Down and dirty blues played in the background as I savored each morsel of that beautiful sandwich. Staff was attentive without being annoying and wanted to make sure I was happy with my meal.

As I finished savoring my club while sampling the various bbq sauces they serve with it -- and sipping the rest of my porter-- an older couple came in to plan a rehearsal dinner for their son. Listening to them ordering their various sides, pounds of beef brisket and pulled pork made me hungry all over again!!! Just writing this review makes me want to go back right now! If I lived closer, I would be having dinner there tonight.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Iam H

Ohio
“Unexpected delight”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014

I am not a big fan of BBQ. When I eat out I usually want seafood. There is no seafood on their menu, but WOW, everything I got was really good! Spareribs, which were better than my previous favorite from Memphis. The sauces, all of them delicious, and I appreciated that the meat came with a rub and no sauce so you could dress it as you like. Salad, great. Sweet potato fries, phenomenal like everyone else reviewing has mentioned. Collards, perfect. Best surprise was the cornbread....I mean how can cornbread really be anything worth mentioning? I am still thinking about that cornbread (and everything else I ordered, really) The group I was dining with suggested the mac and cheese and also the local version of it made with pimento cheese. I did not try it but it did look pretty great. The desserts that are mentioned on their online menu are no longer available as they have simplified it and now have several homemade ice cream flavors and at least one additional dessert for the day (sweet potato pie the night we were there) Was so stuffed, I didn't try those! The decor is charming with exposed bricks and nice lighting. Can't wait to return.

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank braidybunch
Los Angeles, California
“AMAZING Beef Brisket”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2014

Red Rock has the most amazing Beef Brisket sandwich that comes on an awesome tasting semi-sweet bun. The Sweet Potato Fries are a great addition to this sandwich - It's a must have.

Visited June 2014
Pinckney, Michigan
“Excellent BBQ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

We just had a delicious dinner. The burned ends appetizer was all we needed, but we also had pulled prod sandwiches and sweet potato fries. Everything was yummy. 30 beers on tap for those that like the stuff! We'll certainly be back soon. I wish the parking was better.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank BrablecCougar72
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“BBQ(really good) & lots of local beers”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

Burnt ends r fabulous (brisket re-rubbed, 2nd baked w/jalapeno peppers side.
Call ahead 2 make sure.