“Forgettable experience”

Red Rock Downtown Barbecue
Ranked #4 of 168 Restaurants in Ypsilanti
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: We are a Barbecue restaurant centered around smoked, quality meats and southern comfort food. Black Angus brisket Burnt Ends are a must try! Our full bar features 20 Craft Beers on draft and many more in bottles. Great Happy Hour daily 3pm - 6pm and 9pm - Close.
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Forgettable experience”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

We love bbq so we thought it necessary to check out Red Rock one afternoon in February. The restaurant has a nice feel to it- pretty, exposed, brick walls, a nice bar, tons of televisions to distract any sort of conversation you might have. Unfortunately, atmosphere is about all it offers. The food was fine - just not very good. To be honest, I can't even remember what I had (it was that unimpressive). We left feeling unsatisfied and semi-ripped off. Red Rock has a long ways to go until it can be considered one of the better restaurants in the Ypsi area.

• Visited February 2013

Ypsilanti, Michigan
“RIBS RIBS RIBS”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

The past couple of times I've gone here, I've gotten the Rock Cobb Salad, which is amazing. It's loaded with cheese, and has smoked chicken, brisket, and bacon on it. However, today they did not have the dressing I had last time, which was a champagne vinaigrette of some kind, so I just slathered it in BBQ sauce, which was also delicious.

With that said, get the ribs. The ribs are fall-off-the-bone, melt-in-your-mouth good. My husband and I usually split the full slab, and the house-made sauces on the dry-rubbed ribs are just awesome. Whenever I get something else, I wish I'd gotten the ribs. RIBS! And if you don't give a crap about your health, get the sweet potato fries and the mac & cheese to accompany it. Also delicious.

They lose 1 star because sometimes their service is less than stellar (although never rude or annoying, just a little slow & sometimes cold) and sometimes they run out of food, although they've been much better at that recently. And because their sandwiches don't come with anything - I mean, throw some chips on there, at least. Yeesh. But the food is very very good, and they have a really great selection of beers on tap with a lot of Michigan craft brews. Order the ribs!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Allie P
Michigan
“I'm Impressed!”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

The food, atmosphere, service were excellent. I travel a lot, eat out every day. Can only say "wow" about the ribs here. The dry rub, the smoking, the meat itself..superb! so tender, flavorful, moist. Best I've ever had. The sauces on the table were distinctly different; each having their unique flavors, not just levels of hotness or spiciness as in Famous Dave's. Sweet potato fries were wonderful, and seemed to have their own "smokiness". Try them with the South Carolina sauce for dipping. We really wanted to try the burned beef brisket appetizers, but alas they were out. I do understand, as we didn't have dinner until 10 PM. But I tell you, this place is a delight. Ann Arborites, beware...Ypsi is the place for great food at reasonable prices!!!!!!!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank marjieP
“Yummy "smoke their own" barbecue in charming downtown Ypsilanti”
Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

Really enjoyed the food, drink, atmosphere, service, and company at this downtown eatery. I had the pulled pork, cowboy beans, and wonderful, unique, and only-in-Michigan apple, cherry slaw. It was excellent. Moist and smoky, the meat was perfect and could be accompanied by any of four sauces. My eating companions had, and raved about, the brisket. Our young waitress was very knowledgeable and helpful. We counted twenty tappers for a wonderful variety of beers which were also well described and even sampled when we couldn't make up our minds. Overall, it's a highly recommended stop in the Ypsilanti area

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank JanauNC
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“sadness”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Nice waiter but overpriced. Why in the world would a new restaurant cut "comes with" items? A rather scimpy b-que chicken sandwitch all alone on a plate; in the past it at least came with cole slaw but no more. Everything is an add-on. Maybe they are already having money problems as it was near empty at lunch time. I just don't think they are going to get away with it in downtown Ypsi.

Visited April 2013