“It's the real thing!”

Thai Thai
Ranked #59 of 175 Restaurants in Ypsilanti
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Very much authentic ingredients and taste. Fresh prepared. Clean, simple, tasteful decoration. Friendly server. The food was not only well prepared and made. It was beautiful to look at. Price was reasonable. Speed of service was reasonable especially when you saw how fresh everything was. The Thai tea was the real thing, I was imagining drinking it out of a bag (Those of you who have been in Bangkok got that one). The seating is great for a small party or couples, its not a huge place for a large crowd. Excellent overall, no regrets at all.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

Definitely the most authentic Thai restaurant around Ann Arbor / Ypsilanti area. Just a word of caution that the wait may be a bit long for your food (since it's just one chef and one or two waitresses) but it's definitely worth it. A trick though is you can call ahead and order your food, that way when you get there your wait should be miminized.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

I have had lunch and dinner here several times now. I have frequented all the Thai restaurants in Ann Arbor and Ypsi and Thai Thai is the closest to authenticity I have tasted since I lived in Thailand for 6 months. What makes this place so great is the ingredients and the small kitchen size in which everything is prepared. Both of the owners are very friendly and are willing to speak Thai each time I go there. Recently the small restaurant was expanded and so there is much more seating space available. The only suggestion is this place is no secret, so expect it to be busy during lunch and dinner hours. The only reason it did not receive a 5 star rating is because the service can be a bit slow at times.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

finally found a very good thai restaurant in aa. heard service was slow--was a bit--but overall good. They also "got" what it means to be a vegetarian--happy to make things without fish sauce.

Reviewed July 6, 2012

Thai Thai recently expanded their seating area and improved the decor. It looks very nice. It does not appear that they expanded their kitchen however. A group of us from the office decided to go to have lunch on Friday, and decided to leave early so we would be able to get a seat. We had heard great things about it. We were the first ones in the restaurant, and there is now lots of space. Apparently, if you want to be served in less than 45 minutes from the time you walk in the door you need to order in advance however. We were sitting down before 11:30, and served about 12:20. We ordered tea, and 4 dishes from the menu to share. Even the tea did not arrive until 12:15. The food was good. The vegetables were still crunchy, and it was visually appealing. We had a Thai with us and she said the flavors were not particularly authentic. I missed the fish sauce flavor I expect in Thai food. It was only barely there in one of the dishes.
When we received the bill, I looked at is and thought it was perhaps a bit high. $61 for the 4 of us when we had 4 dishes and tea seemed too much. It seemed that not only was the kitchen inefficient, but that the servers were not particularly good at arithmetic. $47 was what it should have been.
We asked about the pace of the service and were told that Fridays are usually quite busy. It did not look that busy to us. When we asked a little more, we were told that regular customers will call ahead and order for the table. They then take priority over the people who are sitting in the restaurant waiting.
The food that is good but not quite authentic, the extremely slow and inefficient service, and the obvious preference given to established regulars will be enough to ensure that I do not become a regular at Thai Thai. I can only recommend it to the established regulars, and people who have plenty of time to deal with the pace. The food is a good Americanized version of Thai food.