“Some ups and downs”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ypsilanti
Chicago, Illinois
“Some ups and downs”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The hotel is in a beautiful location - right on the golf course and easily accessed from the interstate. The lobby and grounds were beautiful. Our room was very large and had a great view of the golf course and Ford Lake. The room was very clean and the bathroom was large with a separate sink area outside of the shower/toilet room. That's the good stuff.

Some of the pillow cases were damp and had been folded over maybe to hide that? Not sure what that was all about. The hotel was rather expensive for one night. That may have been because it was move in weekend for Eastern Michigan University, and University of Michigan had a home football game the next day. Hotel was almost 100% full. I was surprised that at the rate we paid, breakfast was not included. The cost was $14 per person for breakfast. We decided to go elsewhere and save some money, but I always appreciate an included breakfast.

Staff was very helpful and nice. Everything was clean, but the damp pillowcases were of some concern.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the golf course. Much better view than the parking lot.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Wellesley, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Stayed here overnight on a trip to U. Michigan in Ann Arbor (about 10 minutes away without traffic) and left with the impression of a tired hotel that needs an overhaul. Room was musty smelling, fruit flies buzzing around the breakfast buffet, and staff that generally seemed unhappy to be there. Usually a fan of Marriotts but I can't recommend this one.

2 Thank TerraIncognita
Santa Monica
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I only spend one night here every year and in general it has been fine. Not great but fine. This trip, I am in my room now, I get in and want to nap only to find the pillow cases are wet. So wet that after lying down for 10 min my shirt is damp. When I ask the house keeping ladies for dry ones they say, oh yes they are wet we are in a rush. I ask them to bring dry ones, they do. Ok, strike 1. After a quick nap and dinner it's time for bed, I get in to find the sheet has been put on sideways and tucked in at the sides to mask the fact that it does not cover the whole length of the bed. Not cool. Again, I am sure this trick was done to make the room look like it was turned properly when they were rushing. Strike 2. If there is a strike 3 I will be staying at the Detroit Marriott Southfield, a much much better Marriott property. I would rather wait for the room to be cleaned than have problems once I am in the room. Very disappointing.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Meagan P
columbus, ohio
Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

I was very surprised that on a weekday evening the hotel was 90% empty. It is a very elaborate property and I'm sure when it opened it was state of the art but the hotel seems to be in need of an update. I stay for business so the Internet speed was average which would worry me if the hotel was full. Plenty of plugs for gadgets. The window was quite dirty which the pic doesn't really show, it just looks foggy...but it's not, it's a clear day.

• Stayed August 2013
Hebron, Kentucky
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I love the location and setting of this Marriott and stay there every time that I am in the Ann Arbor area (about once per month). The rooms are immaculate and the bedding is the best! The restaurant has a superior breakfast buffet and the best tasting fresh orange juice. Service at this hotel is top notch from the bell hops to the restaurant wait staff to the folks at the reception desk.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2013

a mixture of feelings- the rooms were more than fine- beds comfy- sure they're a little old style and could use some updating but fine. Walls a little thin. It's a golf and conference hotel so were lots of guys about in the lobby and bar. We stayed on a visit to U of Michigan.

My sons and I had the pool (cold) and jacuzzi- all indoor- to ourselves- not even an attendant came around and it could use a little love and attention down there- towels very tiny.

Location is easy off the 94 but we never heard the highway- and if you have a view of the lake then it's gorgeous in the morning. We ate across the street for breakfast at the coney island place in the strip mall (tim horton's wasn't open yet) and it was good actually.

I think what left made us feel less than stellar about the place was- tried to sit in the bar and get a beer (service slow) while kids threw baseballs outside- and waiter happen to spill 2 full pints onto my spouse- drenching her completely and her nice new suede boots. It happens and waiter was apologetic if not confused- but we only heard from management after 2 calls to the front desk- and yes while they happily cleaned her shoes overnight (her request)- we didn't hear anything more than that. No one called to see if she was ok/happy then or later. And the manager she spoke to was a woman as well so you'd think she'd have some greater understanding of how a woman dressed up might feel after being covered in beer.

Anyway, if you're in the area the hotel works fine and is a decent Marriott. Resort I'm not sure I'd give it that status unless you're playing golf.

Room Tip: higher floor facing the lake and golfcourse behind
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 14, 2013

My family and I stayed here for two nights as part of our summer vacation. Overall the hotel is in good condition and the lobby is quite beautiful. The pool area is in need of some repairs though and the pool water was very cool.

We've been Marriott rewards members (currently Gold level) for many, many years and always try to give Marriott our business whenever possible. We made our reservation on-line several weeks in advance of our trip and were so disappointed with the view from our room, which did not face the golf course. Instead, we were given a view of the hotel roof (see photo). After seeing the view we immediately inquired at the front desk about switching rooms. We were told there were no other rooms available due to the plumbing convention in the hotel. This was even more disappointing to hear after standing in line and hearing the gentlemen in front of us being given a room with a view of the golf course! Even the concierge floor was filled w/plumbers although I was unable to verify if all of them were actually Marriott members or not. At almost $200/night a view of the roof is kind of hard to swallow.

We still had access to the concierge lounge (8th floor) which was lovely and offered a nice variety of foods for breakfast as well as evening snacks and light desserts. Most of the staff was very friendly and the hotel was very clean.

If you decide to stay here, stay clear of rooms that end in "23" so that you don't have to view the hotel roof as we did. And, keep in mind that at this hotel being a Marriott member doesn't mean what it does at other Marriott properties.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ypsilanti
Ann Arbor Regent Hotel & Suites
#12 of 34 in Ann Arbor
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#29 of 34 in Ann Arbor

Been to Ann Arbor Marriott Ypsilanti at Eagle Crest? Share your experiences!