“Poor customer service”

Ann Arbor Marriott Ypsilanti at Eagle Crest
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ypsilanti
Reviewed December 1, 2011

I was skeptical about booking a hotel in Ypsilanti and should have trusted my instincts. We booked a Marriot Rewards stay and everything was good until after we returned to our home. We received an email from the front office manager who charged our credit card for one of the two nights which were paid with our rewards points. After nearly an hour on the phone with Marriott Rewards (who had kept me on the line while she was transferred repeatedly around the hotel never actually reaching a live person) and total runaround from the hotel staff and management the Marriott Rewards agent took all of my information and said she would follow up. The next day she called to say that she had confirmed the rewards stay and the hotel would be crediting our credit card for the charge they had arbitrarily put on our card. Now over three weeks later we receive another email with a new list of charges that is clearly not accurate and fabricated. We forwarded the email to the director of rooms two days ago and have not had a response. Marriott Rewards has been exceptional in assisting us but the time we have expended has been excessive and unecessary and entirely a result of poor management and accounting at this particular Marriott hotel. We will not stay here again on future visits.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank ruthannA2

Reviewed November 2, 2011

Fantastic services. All the staff were friendlty and helpful. The area is beautiful close to Ann Arbor and other cute towns in the surrounding area. Not far from Detroit.
The staff went above and beyond in their service.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view..
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 31, 2011

My husband and I started staying at this hotel because of their relationship with Eastern Michigan University -- as the golf team's home course and the conference center where the football team often stays before games. We continue to stay at this hotel because we have been thoroughly spoiled by the outstanding friendliness, service, and professionalism of their staff. The location on the golf course by the lake is just beautiful and makes each stay feel like a mini-retreat. We have also taken advantage of the hotel's dining services -- Bentley's, The View, and room service, and found the quality to be excellent. The rooms we have stayed in have always been clean and comfortable. We have had issues a few times with noise between the rooms, but the staff has always been very helpful when these problems have arisen. Without a doubt, this is a great location that can be counted on for consistent, high-quality service.

Room Tip: Rooms on the lake side enjoy a great view and often a beautiful sunrise.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 5, 2011

I stayed at the Marriot because I was planning on proposing Saturday night in Ann Arbor. I called ahead on Wednesday and asked if it would be possible to drop off a bag on Friday and if I could have flowers and champagne in the room before we arrived. I was assured that it wasn't a problem and to come in and they'd make everything perfect.

I took the afternoon on Friday off of work and traveled the 2 hours each way to the hotel. When I walked in the staff was too busy gossiping to each other to talk to me, but, after they were done, they asked if I was checking in. I explained to them that I had called earlier and that I was trying to arrange things for my proposal night. The woman working gave me a disgusted look and said "we can't do anything like that, I can take your bag, but we can't have the room arranged you'll just have to check in like everybody else." Now, I understand that there are policies and that the person I spoke to on the phone was incorrect, but first, she was extremely rude about it and the staff really needs to be on the same page. So, after she took my bag I was basically shunned out of the hotel, no “have a good day” or “good luck I hope it goes great!” nothing. Again, all I’m asking for is common courtesy nothing out of the ordinary.

When my fiancé and I arrived on Saturday night, the SAME WOMAN was working the front desk. She asked me if I was checking in again, I said yes, and said she had me booked for two full beds….So, I called on Wednesday, came in on Friday and spoke to the same woman, and now she has me booked in a room with two beds. When I reserved the room on the website I reserved a KING size bed on an upper floor, after I explained this to the rude woman, she told me that this is more of a guideline and depending on arrival time we’re given whatever they have. After me and my fiancé complained enough she moved us to a different room with a King bed. Obviously, there were rooms with King beds still, so I don’t understand how this was even an issue. Again, I’m not asking for special treatment, but I went to great lengths to ensure this night was perfect and I’m left arguing with a rude woman on our proposal night.

Our room was fine, your standard hotel room. We went down to the lobby bar for a nightcap and after about 15 minutes we were approached for our drink order. We ordered two cocktails, which when we finally received them 10 minutes later I’ve never had such a watered down 6 dollar drink. Bear in mind we were 2 of about 15 people in the bar, so they weren’t exactly swamped. We paid the bill and went upstairs. All in all, it was an OK night. I just expected a lot more out of a Marriot Staff, I have stayed at a lot of establishments around the world and this was probably the worst staff encounter I have had yet.

Room Tip: Be persistent about what you reserved and don't let the staff push you around
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Alex H
Reviewed September 15, 2011

The staff always friendly and helpful. Beautiful grounds (right on golf course). Hotel food is good, a little pricey. Hotel a little outdated, can use some fixing up but the rooms are comfortable. The bed and bedding are very comfy!

Room Tip: always ask for a room facing the lake and golf course!
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 11, 2011

I stay at this hotel every time I have to go to Michigan (Ann Arbor area). I've tried a number of hotels in the area and this one is by far the best. The staff learns your name, especially in the restaurant/bar area. Request that your room overlooks the golf course as it is very pretty. The beds are comfy as well. I've stayed in the hotel a number of times and never had an issue.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 25, 2011

I love Marriotts, but some of them can be rather spartan. (Sorry Wolverine fans.)

Not this one. I loved staying here. The property was beautiful (due to the area and the golf course) and the hotel itself was in great shape. The rooms were perfect.

The concierge lounge was one of the best I've ever been in. Really nice.

Not a lot of hotels in this immediate area, but this would be a great hotel in any place.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ypsilanti
Ann Arbor Regent Hotel & Suites
Courtyard Ann Arbor
Courtyard Ann Arbor
#19 of 35 in Ann Arbor
Comfort Inn & Suites University South

Been to Ann Arbor Marriott Ypsilanti at Eagle Crest? Share your experiences!