“nice, short staffed”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Charleston, South Carolina
“nice, short staffed”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

nice hotel, like all hyatt hotels.We had a nice clean room, comfortable bed, large tv, sofa with fold out bed, desk, wifi. The breakfast was very crowded, and they ran out of coffee, fruit and everything else it seemed the minute I approached the buffet. They did replenish it, but I had to wait and jockey around the crowd. Our friends (that also had a room there), did not have maid service clean their room, even though we were gone all day, and they had no sign on their door. When we asked about it, they said the one maid had called in sick,and offered him hyatt points to placate him. Our room was serviced. We were attending artprize (wonderful!!), and this is about 6 miles away (15 minute drive). We tried to take the bus (rapid) downtown, and had a 45 minute ride from the nearby meijers to the event artprize. I'd recommend driving downtown, and paying for parking ($10 or so for the day). It would have been worth it, and we wouldn't have had to worry about the schedule getting back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Hyatt Place Grand Rapids-South, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
lilalubean,
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your business, and we're glad you chose Hyatt Place Grand Rapids. I'm glad you liked our clean rooms and comfortable beds. I apologize for the delay in getting the breakfast buffet restocked. Our staff tries to keep up with the crowd as best as they can and make sure everything is available to our guests as quickly as possible. I apologize for your friend's room not being serviced as well. There was an unexpected change in the housekeeping service which caused this to happen. We hope these items will not in any way dimenish your fondness for our hotel, and invite you and your friends to come and stay with us again for next year's ArtPrize.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed September 10, 2012

This was a great place to stay for our first night of our vacation. We were doing a road trip. I wish we could have stayed here all week long! The room was amazing (just a basic room), great looking hotel, very modern, amazing free breakfast!!!! I would have loved to stay here all week! The staff were super nice and friendly! It looks like it is a new area as well that is still developing.

Room Tip: Be hungry for breakfast great food! And the staff are super nice!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed August 16, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights last weekend. It was an ok location, next time I would pick something closer to Grand Rapids. We tried to check in one hour early as we had two children with us who desperately needed naps. We were told that there were no clean rooms available. My mom even told the front desk that we would take any available room configuration. The woman told her "you didn't make your reservation with us so we can't help you". Really poor customer service.

The rooms were spacious and the beds were fine. The bathroom was ridiculously small, to the point where you almost couldn't get into the bathroom and get the door shut. The fridge in the room had been turned off to save energy and the smell about knocked me over when I opened it.

The breakfast was possibly the worst hotel breakfast we have ever had. The first problem was that the girls working the front desk were also working the breakfast room. They just couldn't keep up. Everything was empty. The "egg mcmuffins" or whatever they were supposed to be were not edible. Thank goodness for frosted flakes.

Would I stay there again? Maybe, but you couldn't pay me to eat that breakfast again!

• Stayed August 2012
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Hyatt Place Grand Rapids-South, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
mygavin03,
Thank you for taking a moment and writing about your stay with us on TripAdvisor. It was a pleasure to have you and your family stay with us while visiting the Grand Rapids area. We strive to provide exceptional service to our guests so I apologize that our high standards of Hyatt Place were not met during your stay. I will take all of your comments to our staff and discuss each one with them in our next staff meeting. I appreciate you bringing these issues to my attention, and assure you we would most certainly like to have you and your family come and stay with us again for a more positive experience.

Best regards,
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed August 10, 2012

The Hyatt Place Grand Rapids is the best place to stay on the south side. I grew up in Grand Rapids and need a room for visiting family. I was pleased all around, the price, service, location and rooms were outstanding. A real value!

Room Tip: Weekend breakfast goes quick and is crowded so come get some early!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Hyatt Place Grand Rapids-South, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
IndyDanVan,

Welcome back to Grand Rapids. We’re glad you chose to stay with us while visiting family. I appreciate your compliments about our facility and staff. We invite you to come and stay with us again the next time you ‘come home’.

Michigan
Reviewed July 31, 2012

This is my fourth stay at a Hyatt Place and I have never been disappointed. This property is clean, spacious and my room/suite was absolutely beautiful. The living area with sectional was spacious and comfortable. The throw was a really nice touch. I honestly can't think of a thing to gripe about. A top notch hotel with free breakfast to boot.

Room Tip: Since the hotel sits off a major expressway, ask for a room on the far side away from traffic.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Hyatt Place Grand Rapids-South, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Writesabit,
It’s nice to hear from you on TripAdvisor. I’m glad that you chose to stay with us again at Hyatt Place as we value all of our new and returning guests. Thank you for mentioning that our rooms are spacious and comfortable to other TripAdvisor viewers. I’m sure this information will be helpful for them as they consider their stay with us. We invite you to come and stay with us again soon.

Troy, Ohio
Reviewed July 30, 2012

This hotel is brand new and the staff is friendly and very helpful, especially Kaitlyn and the manager. Was upgraded to a king suite! The room was large and spotlessly clean with updated ammenities. The bed was very comfortable. Breakfast was superb for a hotel, and served english muffins with Vermont ham, cheese, egg, cereal assortments, bisquits and gravy. The lobby of this hotel is modern and welcoming. I love the bar that you can order drinks and appetizers at. The workout room looked great, although I didnt use it during my stay.

I highly recommend this gorgeous property! Keep up the excellent work.

Room Tip: I think any room in this hotel would be nice, but espeically loved the large King Suite room!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
West Allis, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed July 29, 2012

This hotel is very new and the staff is great, friendly and helpful! The breakfast was very good with a lot of options. The room was huge with a whole sitting area with desk, full couch and fridge. I would highly recommend this hotel! Downfalls are that I agree with other reviewers it is hard to close the door in the bathroom do to tight quarters, but it is not a big deal. Also there was not a whirlpool.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Hyatt Place Grand Rapids-South, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
luv32dolphins,

Thank you for taking the time to write about us on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your compliments about our tremendous staff, and we’re happy to hear that you and your friends had a pleasant stay with us. We hope your recommendation will be helpful to future travelers. Please come and stay with us again, soon.

Nick Fischioni, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wyoming
Hampton Inn Grand Rapids-South
Baymont Inn & Suites Grand Rapids SW/Byron Center
Drury Inn & Suites Grand Rapids
Drury Inn & Suites Grand Rapids
#4 of 48 in Grand Rapids

Been to Hyatt Place Grand Rapids-South? Share your experiences!