“honest review!!!”

Corfu Senses Resort
London, United Kingdom
“honest review!!!”
Reviewed July 10, 2011

The transfer to mare monte is about 30 mins where you are dropped outside across the road, it was late when we arrived and i had 4 children with me, so take care on these tight winding roads.

we arrived about 11pm and we are told we are allowed one drink as all inclusive finishes at 11pm :-( ok so im starting to compare with where we went last year..village viva majorca excellent...
so we go up to our room and they are small but who stays in your room anyway i just need somewhere too dump my clothes and sleep...the room service was excellent our maid changed our sheets and cleaned the room everyday...well done..

The breakfast is the weakest of all the meals, but the food does get better or you get use to it...the BBQ is great which we had two of as we stayed for ten days..
Fonz who run the restaurant was great and the girls who helped him..

The bar staff are friendly and there are a mixture of cocktails and red wine plus beer, i read in another review about the wasps and there was a couple but my kids had fun squatting them.

we had a great time it was a relaxing resort, very chilled out..very good staff, its a great location right on the beach, but with stones...i put average because it was sold as 4 star and its 3 star but if they keep improving as they must of from the reviews from last year..

i would also recommend the boat trip and a trip into corfu and climb the fort and walk round the streets, both are a great day out...in the end its what you make it...if you want to sit in your room all day this ain't the place for you...

The beds are hard and some people might like that but it was not for me...
AT THE END OF THE DAY I WOULD GO BACK IT WAS A BARGAIN FOR ME AND I GOT THE DATES I REQUIRED......HAPPY DAYS

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank steve1968_11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Slovak first
Merthyr Tydfil, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 5, 2011

went all inclusive for one week, we found the hotel was built in 1975 needs some tlc in the rooms. Staff very helpful and efficient, food we found something to eat every day. The salads very good, clean restaurant. Drinks with the meal at lunch time, Beer, Wine. For a chillout week the gardens and pool were great, entertainment on a wednesday Greek dancing, otherwise you made your own fun. Bars were all local wines spirits and beer 4.8%. The hotel as been purchased by a Russian Company about a month ago and there will be a lot of renovations this winter. This will become a four star resort. The views from the private beach were excellent, would go back, value for money.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank blueeyes073
Reviewed July 3, 2011

All the bad reveiws are 100% truth. The good reviews must be about the other "mare monte resort" hotel on the island.

Hotel was clean and laundry was done every other day which was ok. The pool was very nice, as is the beach and gardens. The staff although they seemed very fed up did work hard and were a great laugh. However, the food was simply aweful. If you like pork and watermellon you will be fine, otherwise your going to be hungry for your stay. Also if you don't like the food on the first day your screwed because it's the same everyday. The aircon was broken for the first 3 days. The toilet leaked from the cistern. No shower hook. Only one tv channel which is in polish. Like a previous reveiw said if you get the road facing rooms on the first floor the kitchen is going to wake you up at 6am most mornings if the road outside hasn't already. Possibly the loudest fridge in the world in the rooms. The cheapest weakest spirts I've ever tasted,mixed with the cheapest soft drinks(think tesco/asda 18p cola) your lucky to drink them because they have normaly run out. Same story with the ice cream. The poor drinks cost you after 11pm and are expensive. No food inbetween meal times unless you buy it from the shop. Oh there is free wifi but the only place you can pick it up is the sofas directly by the door. Only figured this out as I was waiting for the taxi to the airport.

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank Snakebiteswayne
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2011

I stayed at the Marie Monty Hotel, in Corfu, for 10 days in June.
I have seen the views here on Trip adviser and want to give you, an unbiased, independent, totally honest view of my stay at this Hotel, based on fact and first hand knowledge.
Its crap, don’t go.
Lord Kevin Jee.

Room Tip: sea view, top floor.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank LordKevinJee
Towcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2011

We stayed at the Marie monte resort fora week from the 20th June. We were allocated a room on the top floor overlooking the road but the next morning the lovely Irish receptionist changed us to a sea view for a charge of €30 - well worth it. There was no air conditioning but when I asked the hotel supplied us with a floor standing fan at no charge. The food was basic but edible and there was always something that I liked on the menu. Ice creams were free from 10-6 every day and all the drinks were all included - I can recommend the BlueSky cocktail ( Ouzo, blue Curacao & Lemonade).

We paid £300 each for our stay and for that price -all inclusive I can put up with a hard bed , no zircon and no WiFi.

ALL the staff went out of their way to help and were very friendly always smiling and going the extra mile ESP the waiter in the restaurant and Fernula the Irish receptionist. The room was clean and spacious.

The pool was great and 10 metres from the beach although this was pebbly as are all the beaches on this coast.

I can recommend the massages from the Chinese masseurs that visit daily.

Table Tennis and Pool were available tho take some chalk if your serious players.

WELL DONE MARE MONTE!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank DavetheVillaFan
Wrexham
Reviewed June 27, 2011

My family transferred from the Mare Monte on the 24th June due to the poor food and broken air condition system. JJEv from Leeds (who I am sure we spoke to) has highlighted exactly the same issues we experienced so I won't tread all old ground; we are a family of four with a 6 yr old boy and 9 yr old girl so hopefully this will help other families,

I also have pictures of the corroded bathroom taps, a 2" spiral barb (spring??) sticking out of one of the mattresses (which badly scratched by little boys leg) and the blood stained mattress. I will post these later in the week.

This was rated as an 4T rated hotel by teletext; as our invoice was broken down into flights, transfers, accomodation etc the Mare Monte cost us over £600 for the weeks stay. Needless to say we will be contacting the operator for compensation over the coming days.

This was formally called the Adonis Hotel circa 2008 ad had lots of poor reviews.

AIR CONDITIONING
The hotel has a central air conditioning system which wasn't functioning when we arrived (and we learnt very quickly from guests leaving that it had been an on going saga). The rooms where very hot at night and our kids couldn't sleep. Every day reception told us a company from Athens would be coming the following day to repair. After 3 nights they left a fan in our room. What was annoying is they fobbed us off constanty which is no good when your kids aren't sleeping.

We where told by a couple who failed to get transferred that there was air conditioning engineers looking at the system this morning (28th June).

CLEANLINESS
We were all tossing and turning and sweating buckets each evening due to the heat and appalling matresses; yet the sheets where never changed. We arrived Monday 21st and where transferred Friday 25th. I even requested them to change the sheets at the reception to no avail.

ROOM
We booked the holiday through Teletext as a last minute getaway for me to destress due to work. The room has two twin beds (not an issue) and two camp beds; basically no remaining floor space other than a small balcony. There was an undercounter fridge which was useful to store water but generated so much more additonal heat.
The ensuite had a pedestal sink which wasn't securely fixed to the wall (many others commented same problem) which almost led to our son pulling it on himself and a shower with nowhere to fix the shower head.

FOOD/DRINK
I must mention that I expected to be able to order bar snacks throughout the day as the Mare Monte was all inclusive although I suspect All Inclusive equates to Full Board plus drinks in many Corfu 3 or 4 star resorts. We arrived in the resort at 2 pm and they made us wait until 7.30pm.
The food was based on a buffet and was very limited; we have encouraged our children to try food but me and my wife even struggled at times.. The hot vegetables were always cooked to death and the greek salad tended to rematerialise from the previous meal (the fragments of old feta was the givaway).
Lunch was the same as dinner and desert was water melon (very poor).
Icecream (poolside bar) ran out several times; this was an issue as there was never any deserts. Beer did run out on a couple of occasions.

ENTERTAINMENT (ANIMATION)
VERY POOR....some Greek dancers turned up on the fourth night. Sophie?? was the animation person who spent a time with the kids in the pool but nothing else.

BEECH/POOL
This was actually OK with the beach forming part of the hotel grounds. One issue was most of the sunloungers where broke and requred the rear platic pegs replacing. Most people made do and managed to get them to function.

STAFF
Only a small number of staff appear to operate the hotel and worked hard to keep the hotel functioning (which should be admired). They where all friendly and accomodating (and probably dampened many of the underlying problems). It reminds me of a business which is on the verge of going under.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Millbrookabenbury
Reviewed June 25, 2011

My partner and I have just returned from a wonderful holiday here at the Mare Monte Hotel. We enjoyed our stay from start to end. The staff were amazing, the hotel was clean, the rooms were fairly small but you only shower and sleep in them! The food was lovely - you can't go hungry... Full English is there every morning if you want it, BBQs for lunch some days, fruit, etc. Drink is on tap. We're a young couple and we couldn't complain about a thing... Just to comment on the issue about the wasps - where there's heat and fizzy drinks you will always get wasps.
We would recommend this hotel if you're looking for a quiet, relaxed holiday.
Shane and Ruth x

Kontokali Bay Resort and Spa
Aurora Hotel
Aurora Hotel
#3 of 5 in Agios Ioannis Peristeron

Been to Corfu Senses Resort? Share your experiences!