“BON APPETITE!!!!!!!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Portofino on the River

Portofino on the River
Ranked #4 of 75 Restaurants in Wyandotte
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Large groups, Scenic view, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Boca Raton
“BON APPETITE!!!!!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014

We dined at this restaurant on the river with its beautiful views with our large family and had all the staff we needed attending to our every request!!!!!! Our waitress was never more than 2 feet away from our table as she stood observing and addressing immediately whatever our need might be!!!!! The calamari appetizer my husband and I ordered was, indeed, as our waitress mentioned, large enough to share with other family members as well! It was so DELICIOUS, served as we had NEVER had it served before with the tender calamari, fried onions, green and red peppers, we immediately felt the need to order another as we viewed the empty plate at the far end of the table!!!!! I had the yummy Stuffed Shells, my husband had the Baked Italian Sausage Pasta, (both House specialties), and I saw other family members eating burgers, filets, chicken---all of which were cooked with LOVE and served perfectly!!!!!! Portions were generous, served in a timely manner, in spite of the 18 people at our table!!!!! The wine list was so perfect that it didn't take much convincing of a few of our beer drinking family members to come over to our side to our favorite, Cabernet!!!!!!

• Visited February 2014

Southgate, Michigan
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Thanks for helping me give a great baby shower!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

I had a baby shower for my daughter yesterday at Portofino. I contacted Portofino who was able to accommodate my 20+ guests at the last minute when my previous venue had broken pipes- 3 days before the shower. Everything was absolutely perfect! We had our own room and the service, as well as the food, was terrific! Everyone had a great time and it was so nice to be able to relax and let the server handle everything. She even brought coffee without being asked when serving the cake. If you want to have enjoy your event, I would highly recommend Portofino!

• Visited January 2014
Wyandotte, Michigan
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disappointed and disgusted”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

My boyfriend Found a dead bee in the French onion soup and the manager didn't even want to comp the dinner until I complained. We were offered free desert, both of our meals should have been free....the food is over priced as it is. I won't be going back, they lost a good customer. I can't get over the disgusting bee and how we were treated.

• Visited August 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Melissa3874
Chicago, Illinois
“Good views, good seafood.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

This place does a nice job on Lake Perch. They can prepare it saute'd or fried. I like it either way. Perch is a delicate fish that does not require heavy breading or over spicing. Their chef understands this. They also have a great New England clam chowder. One of the best you will find in the midwest.

The only drawback to this place seems to be the waitstaff. The employ very young inexperienced people. There seems to be a lot of turnover. Train the staff better in customer service, if they do a better job they will get better tips and they might hang around.

• Visited November 2013
Saint Joseph, Michigan
“Portofino's Wyandotte, MI”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

First visit near closing time. Restaurant almost empty. Waiter was attentive and knowledgeable about wine. The bread arrived before the salad, warm and brushed with butter, served along with a warm plate of delicious herbed olive oil. My husband ordered the pasta shells filled cheese and their homemade sausage. The dish was delicious, with the flavors blending beautifully. Consistency of the pasta was great and the sauce was a treat by itself. The salad served before the meal was fresh but average.

The next day we decided to give it another try before returning home. We arrived slightly before the dinner hour, and were offered both the lunch and dinner menus. We chose from the dinner menu. I ordered salmon, which was slightly dry and a little oversalted for my taste. My husband found it perfect. The mix of white and wild rice was spiced delightfully and cooked to a perfect texture. The carrots and green beans that accompanied the salmon were cooked with a good crisp texture with a slight touch of butter.

We ordered the scallops as an appetizer and they were cooked beautifully. Portofinio's chef appears to know how to sear the scallops without destroying their delicate texture and taste. A nice presentation with sliced strawberries and drizzled balsamic vinegrette.

My husband ordered the mostacioli with sausage and beef tips. His meal arrived with the pasta and cheese hot and delicious, however his sausage and beef tips were cold even though they were mixed in with the pasta. (The meat had been cooked but not heated) We notified the waitress who immediately said that she would replace his food with a fresh entree and she apologized for the food. Upon arrival of the new entree which hot throughout, the waitress, manager and server all came by several times to make sure we were satisfied and apologized for the mistake. This dish, while good, was not as good as the pasta shells the night before. The beef tips were a bit tough. We took the leftovers home and it was much better the second day. (Go figure) I would definitely give this place another try.

• Visited November 2013