“We love this place!”

Lake Skegemog Resort
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Williamsburg
Lake Skegemog Resort
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We three fishing ladies have been coming to this resort for four years, and always look forward to it!!
The thing to remember is that it is a COTTAGE, on a lake, where there are ducks, bugs, and best of all FISH!!!! And it is a beautiful part of the rest of the Michigan up north outdoors experience!

Also, to the person who wrote a bad review.........what did you expect for the price that you paid? We find that it is inexpensive but meets all of our needs. Check out prices for other lodging in the area! It is affordable so that more people can enjoy the beautiful outdoors.

Another plus is that the owners are the nicest people that you ever want to meet. They have a family, are active in the community and at church.

Meanwhile we are waiting with anticipation for another great week up north!!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Vic1949
There are newer reviews for Lake Skegemog Resort
Reviewed November 1, 2011

What I like: The location and the water front property - Beautiful blue water, and quiet place. What I disliked: I am not sure I will have enough space to describe how much I disliked this place. I rented a cabin for my family for a week Saturday to Saturday, on wednesday morning I could not wait for the sun to come out so I could pack and RUN! The place is filthy, the backyard is a yunk yard. The playground is not only disgustingly dirty but also a safety hazard. When we arrived at the cabin, the place was dirty: the fridge was disgusting we found a bucket of ham bone soup in the freezer, old pieces of lemon, pickle juice, etc. I spent a good 30 min cleaning it. The real treat came at night - the place is infested with bugs: flies, hundreds of earwigs, and all kinds of creepy crawlers. My husband went to the store and bought a bug killer, we sprayed inside and out and it seemed to work until the 3rd night when I woke up with an earwig crawling in my ear - Yes my EAR! I ended up in the emergency room at 3:00 am in the morning, totally freaked out with a bug in my ear. In the morning we packed and left - the owner even suggested we brought those bugs to her “clean” and “newly renovated” cottage - the county jail has better accommodations. We all woke up that morning with some sort of big red bites all over our bodies -0 cause of bite yet to be determined, but they have lasted for several days and we are about to go back to the hospital for some treatment. If after reading this, you still think this may work for you let me tell you: nothing worked! the coffee pot was broken (or plugged with bugs). The screen door was broken, the wifi (I was promised to have) did not work because the owner did not pay her bill. The TV did not work (no cable either I am guessing lack of payment was the main issue). One of the dresser drawers was broken. The dock was full of duck crap, the fan in the bedroom was broken (and incredibly dirty), the mattresses were longing for replacement, all the furniture was so dirty and/or stained with paint all over. The kitchen was full of ants. Our vacation was ruined, we planned this vacation for months! Our experience was so disappointing, I do not want to go back to Michigan EVER! I truly hope the health department closes that “Resort” and the Michigan Tourism association does a better job before allowing any yunk yard to be called a “Resort”, it only scares the tourists away. LC

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
18  Thank LC0614
funwithfamily333, Owner at Lake Skegemog Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Dear Travelers,

We would like to share our response to the comments regarding our resort. The customer who wrote this had booked one of our eight cabins during peak season. After one day they had learned that their friends reserved a place closer to town. When they asked for a refund we reminded them that we book our cabins by the week and we do not offer refunds once the week has started. They were unhappy with this policy and had warned us that they would tell everyone they know what an awful place we run. The internet is a great place for information, yet unfortunately you don't always know if it is true. Please think about how their story was written.

They arrived on a Saturday, yet waited until Wednesday to leave? Had the cabin been as horrible as stated, it seems that they would leave and not stay a single night. Hambones, pickle juice, and bugs crawling in my ear the very first night, would encourage me to take my family out immediately. Broken screens, dressers and fans would be quite evident before even unpacking. We had guests stay in this exact cabin the week before and the week after with no complaints. Our cabins are cleaned after each guest and we have had families return every year since we have owned this resort.

We are very frustrated and saddened that someone would try to sabotage our family business. If you are planning on visiting the Northern Michigan Area, please visit our webpage or YouTube site to see for yourself that this is a clean family-friendly resort.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Williamsburg
Sleep Inn & Suites Acme - Traverse City
West Bay Beach, a Holiday Inn Resort
Best Western Plus Traverse City
Best Western Plus Traverse City
#2 of 40 in Traverse City

Been to Lake Skegemog Resort? Share your experiences!