Best Western of Whitmore Lake
$95
Hotels.com
$154
Hampton.com
Courtyard Detroit Brighton(Brighton)(Great Value!)
$83
$75
$121
$118
$76
$169
All reviewsann arborwonderful propertybreakfast roomstaff was very friendly and helpfulbiscuits and gravyup to dateeasy accesswould stay againnice staydrivewaypillowspetsmisaunadetroit
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Never, ever stay at this property. My wife and I booked a room here as a place to stay after the Michigan football game on Saturday, September 7th. We checked in around 2:30 and almost immediately headed out to Ann Arbor. When we returned at about 12:30 AM, as soon we opened the door to our room we were hit with a strong stench of mold. As I walked to the window to turn on the A/C I discovered why- the carpet all around the window, coffee table, and recliner was absolutely soaking wet and I could see small patches of mold on the carpet near the A/C. Obviously, the room at this point is uninhabitable. I called the front desk and explained the situation, and the gentleman's response was what is in the title- "we're sold out tonight, but I can bring up towels." Uh, really? Not "I'm really sorry, unfortunately we don't have any other rooms but please let me see where in a nearby area we might be able to get you a room?"

In the time it took the night "manager" to reach our room with towels, my wife and I decided we were just going to leave and start driving home to Chicago, hoping to find a hotel in Battle Creek or Kalamazoo. When he got up there we let him know that we were heading out as we obviously couldn't stay in the room, and to please make sure our credit card didn't get charged. I put manager in the first sentence in quotes because he promptly informed us that he had no ability to give us a discount on our room, but he'd have his manager call in the morning. Wanting to get on the road, we just shook our heads and left.

After a 90 minute drive to Kalamazoo and a nice night's sleep at the Fairfield Inn Kalamazoo, I called the hotel again at noon on Sunday since I hadn't received the morning callback I was promised. I explained the situation to the woman who answered the phone, and was again told that the "manager" would not be in until Monday, as he doesn't work on weekends, and he'd call me back then. This is an important point here- taking the employees at their word, the logical conclusion is that if this had happened at, say, 6 PM Friday, no one who is at the hotel would have any ability to rectify the situation until Monday morning, or 2 1/2 days later. I find that to be completely unacceptable.

Its worth noting that at no point in my interactions with the BW Whitmore Lake employees did the word "sorry" come out of their mouths. I'm realistic, I know things happen and they can't just pull a room out of thin air when there isn't one. But I paid $119+tax for a place to stay, I didn't get that place to stay, and no one seemed to think that was a problem.

I'll be anxiously waiting for the call on Monday morning, if it comes. I have already called my credit card company to dispute the pending charges. I will never stay here again, and although this concludes the review of this hotel, if you keep reading I'll explain why I don't think I'll ever be staying at a Best Western hotel again.

After getting no answer from the Sunday call to Whitmore Lake, I called Best Western's 1-800 customer care number. I again explained the situation and the man on the other end of the line was nice enough to apologize for the situation, which I told him was the first time anyone associated with BW had done so. However, he didn't have the ability to make sure my credit card wasn't charged. So anyone staying with a Best Western property just be aware- their corporate policies apparently find it OK that if there is a problem on property on a Friday night, it might not get reconciled until the individual hotel management comes back to work on Monday. For some of you, that might not be a big deal. For me, that just doesn't work.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Tim R
Jim A, General Manager at Best Western of Whitmore Lake, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Thank you for your comments concerning your stay at the Best Western of Whitmore Lake. I appreciate your taking the time to post a review regarding your stay and hope you will accept my appologies for any inconvenience you experienced.

I am disappointed we failed to give you the fine accommodations and consideration we strice for with all our guests - the type of service we pride ourselves in. I have investigated your comments and will take steps to ensure that the problems you experienced do not happen again. We found that the a/c unit was leaking inside of the room instead of outside which led to the carpet getting saturated causing your "moldy" smell. Upon inspection, there was no "mold" found in the room, just a musty damp smell. My staff was made aware of your comments and we will take immediate corrective action so this will not happen again.

I have issued a FULL refund to your credit card. Again, my apologies and my further assurance that if you give us the opportunity to redeem ourselves, we shall

Reviewed August 22, 2013

We stayed one night and were very satisfied. Our room was CLEAN and all the furnishings were in good condition. The continental breakfast was average and the breakfast area was clean. Clean means a lot to me and I would stay again and recommend this inn to a friend.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Basically, the place is just OK. On the plus side, the staff was pleasant and accommodated our requests like a room on the ground floor. When the A/C went out, they promptly fixed it. The bed was comfortable and the shower was good. The hotel is in a very pretty location too. That being said, the room was in need of a good cleaning, especially the carpet and bathroom. Couldn't get past the brownish tap water either. OK place to stay for a night or two if you're not looking for much.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I was in town for just one night. The hotel was right off the expressway and very quiet. The only think I didn't like was that the carpet was in need of a good cleaning, otherwise the room was very clean.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Convenient, comfortable and quiet with refrigerator and microwave. Large lcd tv. Small breakfast area but worked well and wasn't crowded. Good location and value with AARP price for Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti area.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple