“Family Reunion Fun”

Michillinda Lodge
Crystal Lake, Illinois
“Family Reunion Fun”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We recently visited Michillinda Lodge for a family reunion. We LOVED it. The views are breathtaking and the surroundings are amazing. The lodge itself is old, but well maintained. If you are looking to disconnect for a while...this is the place to go. There are no televisions or phones in the rooms. And no cell service. There is wireless in the main lodge. Most rooms are updated and multi-bedroom cabins are available. Many rooms are not air conditioned but you can request one with air if you have any medical issues. The lakefront breeze seems to keep things cool at night anyhow. The staff is extremely accommodating and will do whatever they can to make your stay perfect. There is direct beach access from the lodge and the state park is a mile down the road. There's also a large public beach a mile away as well. The property has fun stuff for the kids...a pool, shuffleboard, mini golf, basketball court, volleyball and tennis courts and even an area for bonfires. If you want a place to go with friends and family...this is it. We will be coming back here every year if we can.

Room Tip: Cabins are best for larger families. Two-three bedrooms and a living room area. Annex rooms are nice...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Michillinda-GM, General Manager at Michillinda Lodge, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Thank you so much for your response, we are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you next year!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Bryson City, North Carolina
Reviewed August 2, 2012

If you manage expectations beforehand, you will not be disappointed. Remember, Michillinda Lodge is a 100 year old historic property. As such, some modern amenities will be lacking (like central air and 2012 communication options). Also, the Lodge is located right on Lake Michigan a fairly long way from the road and a really long way from cell towers, so your mobile devices will probably not work.

Now for a rundown of the good, the bad, and the ugly.
The GOOD:
1. The main Lodge and several auxiliary buildings/cottages face Lake Michigan and have great views
2. Grounds lovingly tended with an impressive entry drive. The groundskeeper was out early in the morning after a huge storm the night before to tend to bruised and battered flora and pick up debris.
3. On-site restaurant dining (inside or out) with great lake views
4. Dinner very good. Prices very reasonable. Dinner menu offered wide variety of price options -- $7 burger or $23 steak.
5. Good dinner service. Server Brittany was very cheerful and helpful
6. Full bar. Decent wine list; reasonably priced.
7. Beach access; although down a gracious plenty of steep steps
8. Very very clean! As a former innkeeper, this is one of my big hot buttons. The facility (at least my room and hallway and restaurant and other common areas) was spotless.
9. Bed was very “crisply” made (as former innkeeper, another hot button). See the bad and the ugly below.
10. The bedtime cookies offered in the lounge is a very nice touch.

The BAD:
1. The breakfast buffet was a huge disappointment (especially after the very good dinner the night before). The buffet offerings were very slim—the free Hampton Inn breakfast the day before had way more options. I have never seen a hotel buffet that did not offer cereal or yogurt as well as breakfast breads (toast, biscuits) or breakfast pastries (muffins, sweet roll, donut). In addition to the meager offerings, the preparation was pretty bad. The pancakes were tough, the scrambled eggs were dry and “crumbly” with some burned edges, and the cinnamon French toast was very dry and inedible unless swimming in maple syrup. Again, the Hampton Inn buffet preparation is at least tasty! Hopefully if you special “ordered off of the menu” AND paid extra, the food would at least be good.
2. Little onsite hands-on management oversight or supervision.
For example,
2A. Breakfast servers were non-attentive (and not very friendly…don’t think I heard even one “good morning”). It appeared as if no one was responsible for monitoring the buffet line – coffee was empty at 8 am (listed start of breakfast service); several items on the buffet ran out (at different times different guests had to request buffet line “refills” – no eggs, 1 pancake, few pieces of fruit, no coffee.
2B. At check-in, I was not given any property overview (either orally or in a hand-out). There was no overview of amenities … was just given a key and told where to find my room (just pointed in general direction). Again, as a former innkeeper, there was a normal “spiel” after processing the room payment. The spiel covered both the outdoor and the indoor amenities, how breakfast worked (and times), where (and when) coffee and cookies were available, etc. There was no staff interaction at check-in other than taking my credit card and pointing to where my room was located. This seemed somewhat strange as I was a “walk-in” (and they knew it) – I called to check on availability and pricing after passing the property while driving along the lake. I had not researched the property online, so I knew nothing. [as a side note, I later found a multiple page Xeroxed copy of Michillinda Lodge information – history of the lodge, “Reservation Introduction”, Rates, and General Information”…why not hand this out at check-in?
2C. No offer of help with luggage. When I saw a staff member coming down the steep outside stairs of the Annex, I asked if my room (A27) was up there. “Yep….and he kept on walking”. No offer to help a senior woman with her 2 small bags navigate up the stairs. No offer to escort me to my room, no nothing.
2D. No staff interaction the next morning at check-out. No “Did you enjoy your stay”, “how was your room”, nothing other than “do you want to a copy of your bill and credit card receipt.”
2E. Appears to not be any monitoring or QC’ing of staff maintenance work. Our bathroom appeared to be recently painted (including the door jam). The painter apparently closed the door while the paint was still wet as there were paint drips and speckles on the door as well as brush mistakes. All in all, a very sloppy paint job; it is obvious no one checked on the finished paint job (hopefully it isn’t that the reviewer had very low quality standards).

3. The rooms desperately need updating and freshening. The décor is very outdated. It is very hard to find an electric outlet other than in the bathroom. The only hangers were bent wire ones. The rooms need a blow dryer. The linens are getting a little thread bare.

4. With multiple years of unseasonably high temperatures, summer on Lake Michigan is not like it was 10+ yrs ago; therefore, need ceiling fans and dining room cooling. Every room needs a fan. Ceiling fans would be great (including in the restaurant).

5. When taking reservations, it should be clearly stated that there is no or limited air conditioning. It is a very rude shock to learn that if you decide to go elsewhere for “cool”, there is a $50 cancellation fee.

6. The ice machine was not working. When told the front desk, the reply was “it is hot so it doesn’t churn out ice as fast”. When I mentioned that it wasn’t a temperature issue as there was the same 15 or 20 pieces of melting ice at 11 pm as there was at 9 am, the response was “I guess it is broken”.

7. The property needs some maintenance. The porch railing paint is peeling; the interior Annex stairway railing is cracked; the exterior Annex stairway is very rickety; ice machine broken (see #6)

The UGLY:
-- While bed was "crisply" made, there was a large hole in blanket. This is totally unacceptable!

-- There was never any explanation of a “Service Charge” when the reservation was taken. I was told the room was $150/night plus tax. There was never a mention of a service charge. Based on it being $15, I am assuming that they are charging a 10% service charge…but for what???? I hope it isn’t a charge to cover maintenance…if it is, why didn’t I think of that when I owned and operated a 10 room inn for 7 years? It would have been great to have my guests pay for the painting and repairs on MY 75 year old property!

SUMMARY:
Before staying at Michillinda Lodge, manage your expectaions. Michillinda Lodge is a grand old dame in desperate need of a facelift as well as some management attention. BUT, she has really good bones – Lake Michigan lakefront with great views, breezes, and beach access along with a very good on-site restaurant with decent prices and outside lake view dining option.

So, with all this said, we enjoyed our stay....we celebrated the GOOD, ignored the BAD, and turned a blind eye to the UGLY. Maintenance on old properties is never-ending and unavoidable; management oversight and training/supervision is correctable.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with limited air conditioning (window unit) AND request a fan in the room.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
7 Thank itchyfeetx2
Michillinda-GM, General Manager at Michillinda Lodge, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
First, Thank you so much for your detailed review, it truly helps us improve and make guest stays as wonderful as we hope and strive that they all are. Guest satisfaction is, and always be our number one priority. With that I would like to address your response by section.

The GOOD:
1)Thank you so much for the kind compliments of the staff, with regards to housekeeping, the gardener, and server Brittany. It is very much appreciated by them as well as the mangers in all departments to hear that their hard work and dedication to their job is being noticed.

The BAD:
1) We appreciate your suggestions of offering cereal, yogurt and breakfast pastries. In attempts to make our guests stay feel more like home rather than a traditional continental cold breakfast we have stayed away from these options. However, we will look into these for the future.
2) The executive chef has read the comments regarding the preparation of the breakfast line and is looking into these. With the feedback you provided he can fix the problem.
3) I am sorry the service at breakfast in both the service and replenishing of food was not satisfactory. Based on your review we have made adjustments to make sure this does not happen in the future. We do have a dining room manager as well as kitchen manager who do their best to cook and replenish the line the best they can.
4)As the General Manager, I want to apologize sincerely for the interactions you received from the front desk at both check in and check out. Once again, since reading this review I have a held a meeting and re-training session with all the staff so that no guest feels as though they are just another guest and not a top priority as they should. This is one area I will watch very closely from here on out, guest satisfaction is once again our top priority. There are map diagrams in the rooms of our property for all guests as well as check in for staff to go over with each guest. The General Information Packet and History Packet are located at the front desk, the lobby, the main gathering room and dining room for all guests to take.
5)The staff is suppose to ask if you need help with luggage or would like an escort to your room, again this was reiterated in the meeting. Also, at time of check in the staff is suppose to explain that there staff on hand 24 hours and if you need anything at all do not hesitate to ask. I am very sorry this was not explained.
6)The maintenance is being monitored and we appreciate all the guests’ patience and understanding while we go through renovations this summer. The points you have made have been noted and will be tended to before the completion of the renovation.
7)Again, we appreciate your patience and understanding that renovating 10 buildings is a long process and at the end of completion all rooms with have been updated in, painting, bathroom floors, vanity, bathroom fixtures, carpet and even electrical. We are also looking into to updating our hangers for guests as well. We have blow dryers for guests at the front desk, again I am very sorry that you were not told this. We actually rent our linens weekly, I will look into the options available and take a closer look at the linens we receive.
8)Thank you for the suggestions of ceiling fans. I will most certainly pass this along.
9)Our website, information packet and confirmation letters express the limited air conditioning to our guests at time of booking. This was one of the topics discussed at the meeting with the staff. As you were a walk in you should have been told or brought to the rooms available that night before you booked.
10)The front desk staff was correct as we have had several companies out this summer to determine the problem with the ice machine over the summer. We are looking into different machines. However, the staff should have informed you that the servers could fill the buckets for you. I am very sorry in the responses you received for attempting to alert us to a problem.
11)Part of the renovation process will include all exterior painting, this includes all railing. With the detail you provided I was able to put this on our maintenance list and has been taken care of.

The UGLY:
1) We are in the process of getting new bedding for all guest rooms. The hold is unacceptable and brought this to the attention of the Housekeeping Manager to address.
2)The charges are to be expressed clearly and as detailed as possible either on the phone or in person with every guest. I apologize for the lack of communication you received and hope that you give us another chance to rectify it. There is a 10% service charge that is to cover several areas, however, it does not go towards repairs, renovation or projects.

Michillinda does have very good bones and we hope the renovations will restore the property to its glory days. All the renovations and changes to Michillinda are very much geared for response such as yours, so thank you once again for the time and detail you gave us, so that we can have the chance to improve. If you would like to call and speak with me, I would very much welcome it.
Racine
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I recently organized a family reunion here for 42 people. Thanks to the staff at Michillinda and only minimal interference from the unpredictable weather, it went off without a hitch. The food is excellent, activities top-notch (and free!) and the location simply cannot be beat. I will echo other's notes that the staff went out of their way to help out at the drop of a hat.

Beware the poor reviews here. First, they're mostly all old reviews. Second, they are correct that some of the rooms are very outdated. That, however, is in the process of being changed and the rooms that have been updated look great. My room was one of those they had not yet hit, but really, If you're spending so much time in the hotel room that you notice or care about the outdated decor, you're missing the point of Michillinda Lodge. Get outside, enjoy the lake, the area and all the other stuff (swimming - pool or lake, basketball, volleyball, mini-golf, shuffleboard, etc) they have to offer!

Room Tip: Get something with a lake view. Some rooms don't have AC, so if you need it, ask.
1 Thank isukennedy
Michillinda-GM, General Manager at Michillinda Lodge, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Thank you so much for your review and the compliments. We were very happy to have the Kennedy Reunion at the Lodge this year and hope to see you all every year.
Shelby Twp. MI
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We had a great time at Michilinda. It is not meant to be a high tech hotel as some previous reviewers seem to want. It is relaxed and friendly. We had a family reunion with kids ranging from infant to 16 and all had a great time, whether swimming in the pool, the lake, playing the mini golf, basketball, or just feeling safe walking around. We will be returning.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have A/C. We stayed in one that did not and it was fine. We even had to close the win...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you Dawn for your words. It is very nice to hear that you and your family had great time with us. We hope to see you and your family soon. We have exciting things happening this year and into next, keep an eye on our new website for all the updates.
Cadiz, Kentucky
Reviewed July 12, 2012

We stayed one night, the first week in July, 2012.

Probably was a grand place in its day. Their previous website made it look and sound like it still is. (At time of posting this, I see that the website isn’t even available.)
HOWEVER . . . We requested a room with a lake view in the main Lodge a week or so before, and were told there was a room available. We took it. Did not specifically request a/c. Our first mistake. With the record heat wave, the floor fan did not cool the room off until around 2 a.m.

Upon arriving, the office staff were friendly enough, but we were literally rushed up to our room and not given any sort of tour of the Lodge or grounds. It was confusing that we came in on the lower "basement/mechanical/staff" level, and basically that was the main and only other entrance other than through the dining areas. I have been told that the check-in desk is being moved upstairs to the main level and dining room area this week.

L19. - We didn't request that room, it was assigned according to our request for a Lodge, lake view, queen size bed.
In its current state I would tell people to not get hooked on the romanticism of Miss America having used it a very long time ago. It is on the main floor, same as dining/breakfast room and gathering room, actually with its door opening directly into the breakfast room and the dining tables on either side of the door! A little awkward entry, but probably convenient in bad weather. It was fairly clean if you discount the abundant cobwebs in the bathroom alcove area, but extremely dated. Fake paneling. Dusty, hanging, nonworking globe light over a Formica dressing table/vanity outside the bathroom, but no bench. Without a vanity bench, the very hot lighted mirror was about high enough for you to check your belly button for lint. Dingy closet, wire hangers. Baseboard trim missing, holes in the wall where there had once been curtain rods over a window or French doors that opened onto the now enclosed porch. Veneer on doors was split and broken and bathroom door wouldn't even close. No vanity/counter space at all.

Toilet was clogged and backed up before we even used it. My husband tried flushing it and water nearly came over the top, so he had to walk down to the registration office (no phones) and ask for someone to plunge it. Young man did successfully plunge it, but he wasn't housekeeping, so when we went in to use it shortly thereafter, there were 'remnants' of the blockage still floating and soiling the bowl. Several flushes through our stay, it finally 'cleaned' itself.

The bathtub/shower is dated, with old ceramic tile and grout that is unattractive and uneven, and there is no soap holder/dish in the shower at all. Basically a non-existent shower head. The vent fan on the ceiling did not work. Overpowering sulfur odor from the well water, but we have used well water and lived on Lake Michigan before, so know that unless you install a filtration system, that odor will be there. The bathroom window opens up to the adjoining unit's porch, no privacy. We dealt with that by flipping the lower half of the blinds closed and left the upper part open for air and light.

L19 has a small deck with 2 chairs, and there is a view of the lake, but that unit and the one next to it both lack privacy from each other and the yard area unless you close window shades or curtains on all the windows. The sidewalk around the yard leading to the main dining room is directly along side the windows.The exterior door has a window on top and no shade. We had other guests walking by, glancing in our windows, and then embarrassed by their intrusion, quickly look away. A nicer bed and linens would have been good also. Box springs are not period styling - they are old and out of date.

The main gathering room areas were very attractive and updated. But, in the heat not very comfortable most of the day. A narrow set of 100+ very steep steps to the beach. Didn't go to the beach.

A team of hard-working young people were on site when we were there, but only able to handle the basics. There did not appear to be a seasoned manager on site at all.

So, all in all, we felt more like we were back in kid's camp, rather than a classy lake lodge, and we have been at both and know the difference.

On a slightly more positive side:
We had dinner on the totally informal outdoor deck of the restaurant because it was stifling hot in the dining room that is not air conditioned. Our entrees were delicious! The chef did an excellent job on our meals and is to be commended, along with his kitchen staff. The Key lime cheesecake dessert was more along the line of a box mix. My husband just reminded me that the Cake Bread wine we were offered as being 'specially priced,' must have been left opened or left over from a previous wedding because it was soured. On our morning of checkout from Michillinda, the kitchen couldn't keep up with the number of diners arriving, so food choice was very limited.

Upon returning home, I e-mailed the Lodge with our dissatisfaction and promptly got a reply back that they were aware of the problems, had received most of the same comments from other guests, were renovating but had not yet gotten to the room we stayed in, L19. The person replying said that our room was scheduled for new carpeting and upgrades in July – did not seem aware that the carpeting had already been laid. How much renovation can you do AFTER you have laid new carpeting?

We were not offered a credit or partial reimbursement for the $180 charge to our credit card, which you would think they would offer as a goodwill gesture. If we had jumped ship and ran to get out of there after first walking in the room, we still would have been out the $50 deposit. Now we know we should have done that, but we were so tired at check-in from our day’s travels, had hauled all our luggage in ourselves (no offers or luggage carts to help), and my husband then had to park the car a block's equivalent away and walk back. That was when the condition of the room started becoming evident.

What we take issue with is that if they knew that room was not up to their desired standards for Michillinda - both from their own opinion and from other guests' comments, then they should not have rented it to us for the same price as the other newly renovated ones, or for that matter, not rented it at all!

*We stayed the next night of our trip for HALF THE COST at a newer Holiday Inn Express several hours away. While obviously not in the same category as what we were looking for in Michillinda Lodge, or on the lake, we were surprised to find high ceilings, granite counter tops, designer tiled shower, incredible bed and coverings, very tasteful decor, a/c, sparkling clean, and we had a free, multi-choice breakfast buffet, fully stocked, even tho it was crowded.

Room Tip: After our experience, we would not recommend making reservations here unless you are recently famili...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Vacationer39245
, General Manager at Michillinda Lodge, responded to this review, July 14, 2012
Cindy,

First, we are very sorry that you felt this way and your room was not as you felt it should have been. If you will allow us I would like to address your complaints and hope that by the end you can see what advances we are making to make our guests stay more enjoyable in the future.

1) The heat wave that swept through Michigan last week was the worst we have seen in years. We actually purchased fans and AC units to help alleviate some of the heat in certain rooms (ones which did not have a view/breeze). We have attempted to make guests aware before booking with us that AC rooms are limited and to inquire with us about the rooms they are reserving.

2) We are currently under renovations of the property, this includes the check in area. Unfortunately we have not made the full transition upstairs for the front desk. We are hoping to complete that this week. With renovations complete the front desk, gift shop, dining room, and restrooms will all be located in once central locations for guests. I am very sorry that you felt rushed through the check in process, and will reiterate to the front desk staff to take the time to explain where everything is located on the grounds and the restaurant times and locations as well. They have been instructed to do this but again I will remind them.

3) Not to sound like a broken record, but again we are currently under renovations. Your concern about the rooms conditions is one we have heard before and is the reason for the renovations. We do listen very closely to our guests and are attempting to answer and fix all concerns, including the rooms. Your room has not actually been renovated yet but in July will have new carpet, new paint, new trim, new blinds new tile for the bathroom, new vanity, new lights and new bathtub & surround. We also plan on fitting all beds with new comforters this year as well. We are also installing a more sound proof door to give Lodge 19 a more private feel.

4) There are several buildings which have been completed in our renovations so far this season. We hope to have pictures on the new website which is being launched next week, so our guests can see the direction we are going.

5) The 22 acres is a lot to maintain and we are doing our best to keep up. Our grounds crew is nearing completion with only a few beds left to be filled. We have looked into greasing our driveway to avoid the dust clouds however, this brings issues of concern with our guests as well. But it is a valid concern that we are looking into.

6) Thank you for bringing our attention to the swing, no one has mentioned it before to our staff. We will have that fixed today. Our staff is very loyal and a number of them have been on site for 8+ years. Our managers included and their experience over the last 9 years has given them the knowledge and ins and outs of the building and company itself. Behind them we have a tremendous Management Company to give us direction, experience and leadership as well.

Again, we are very sorry that your trip was not to your satisfaction and if there is anything we can do please let us know. We truly want every experience at Michillinda to be a positive one. Thank you so much for the time you took to bring our attention to these problems.
Michigan Usa
Reviewed July 11, 2012

We ate at the Michillinda Lodge restaurant on July 9. We had an evening meal with another couple. We ate outside the table closest to Lake Michigan. It was a beautiful setting for a meal. Warm and sunny. We were able to watch sailboats slowly sail by as we dined. You are up about 50 ft from the surface of the lake so you can see for quite distance. I had a 10oz grilled sirloin. Others had fish and scallops. One ordered a lemon drop martini that she said was poorly done. I had a rum and coke that was fine. Overall the food was adequate. The food was rather slow in coming but we were not in a hurry. However, the view could NOT be beat. Dining along the shore of Lake Michigan is not easily done. (meaning not very many restaurants are located right on the shore at least in this area)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for dining with us last month and the review. I am very happy that you enjoyed the scenery from the outside deck overlooking Lake Michigan; it is one that is hard to beat. I am very sorry however that the lemon drop martini was not satisfactory and the food was slow coming out. I hope that you give us another chance in the future and if for any reason you are not satisfied with anything to please bring it to our attention so that we can rectify it right away.
Reviewed June 26, 2012

My wfie and I got married at Michilinda last summer and it couldn't have been any better. My wife is from Chicago and I am from mid-Michigan so we wanted to pick a venue that was in between both areas and was on Lake Michigan. Man, did we get lucky this place was still available. Our family/friends were able to book all of the rooms in the lodge and it was so nice to have everyone with us for the whole weekend. The staff was so friendly and the food was spectacular as well. We still get compliments from our friends saying how much fun they had at the wedding and wish we could do it again. If you are looking for a lakeside wedding in Michigan somewhere, I would highly recommend this place. Or if you want to get a big group of friends together for any ocassion, this is the place.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Tim- It is so good to hear from you. Thank you for the compliments on the staff and food, it is very much appreciated. Your wedding was a lot of fun for us as well and we appreciate being part of it and hearing that you and all your guests enjoyed our place as much as you did. It was so good to see you both here on your anniversary and a couple other times this summer as well. We look forward to seeing you both again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitehall
Shoreline Inn & Conference Center, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
Hampton Inn Muskegon
Hampton Inn Muskegon
#2 of 12 in Muskegon
Fairfield Inn & Suites Muskegon Norton Shores

Been to Michillinda Lodge? Share your experiences!