“been there for decades for a reason” 4 of 5 bubbles

Pekadill's
Ranked #1 of 22 Restaurants in Whitehall
Cuisines: American, Soups
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
San Juan Bautista, California
“been there for decades for a reason”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2013

a bit of a throw-back to the old-style ice cream shop, with sandwich/deli selections well worth the trip. go in warm weather to enjoy the beautiful outdoor eating area in the gardens.

Visited September 2013

Oak Forest, Illinois
“Great little sandwich shop.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

Stopped here for lunch, my husband and I split the sandwich special of the day. It was almost too much to eat. Very fresh.

Visited October 2013
Muskegon, Michigan
“Love it!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

The bread and their dressings are so good. Sandwiches are are just outstanding. I've been here twice, ate inside and out. Outside setting is lovely. A lot to keep my 5 year old busy until our food came. My only negative is the lack of consistency as to when they are open. One day they are, the next they're not, the next day they're open for 3 hours.

• Visited September 2013
Tulsa, Oklahoma
“Very good, but not great.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

I went to Pekadill's for lunch because I was in Whitehall and it was #1 on trip advisor. It didn't disappoint although it didn't wow me either. The cream of asparagus soup almost wowed me except some of the cuts of asparagus were as tough as tree branches - otherwise the soup was great. My sandwich was good and the bread was fresh. The cashier wasn't very friendly the day I was there, but the girls delivering the meals were moving a mile a minute. Overall I'd certainly go back.

PS I did stop by later in the day to get se Hudson ice cream I'd seen earlier. It was wonderful!!

• Visited August 2013
Whitehall, MI
“Kickin' it up a notch!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

See the diner-contributed photo (above) showing the flowers and little fountain? That was our view over supper this evening. Pretty and peaceful!

My husband and I had a coupon for a free strawberry shortcake sundae with the purchase of a chicken or rib dinner and today was the last day it was valid. So we chilled a bottle of our favorite Michigan wine and headed out around 6:30 PM for one of our favorite local ice cream shops but for Saturday night supper. (Yes, you can BYOB here.)

Even though it was only 60 degrees outside we decided to dine "al fresca." The patio behind Pekadill's is a lovely spot for lunch, ice cream, socializing, and -- as it turns out -- for a relaxing, romantic dinner for two. And as far as I'm concerned, it's never too chilly for ice cream!

Before we went out outside we ordered our meal. My husband chose the barbecued short ribs and I went with the chicken breast. Both meals came with salads and then cheesy potatoes as a side. He ordered the Caesar salad and I chose the dinner salad. Both were surprisingly tasty and my husband said it was one of the better Caesars he's had recently. I thought my salad, with bleu cheese dressing, was comparable, if not superior, to other area more "upscale" restaurants. The lettuce, spinach leaves and other salad greens were mostly green and quite fresh. And there were good bits of cucumber and tomato in it as well.

My boneless chicken breast was cooked just right. It could've been dry or undercooked but it was juicy and nicely coated with a fairly sweet BBQ sauce. My husband was pleased with his ribs. (He's a Texan so he's rather picky about such things!) He said that for pork ribs that seemed to have been boiled first and then placed on the grill (like we used to do at home before we had a smoker) they were tender and decent. All I know is that he ate them all!

The two things that were just a little disappointing were the potatoes and the dessert. Because the salad and meat were so enjoyable maybe my expectations for the side dish were too high. The cheesy potatoes were plentiful but they clearly started out as an instant potato product, so while they were edible they didn't match the goodness of the food they were accompanying. And the strawberry shortcake sundae would've been better served with fresh strawberries rather than thawed frozen ones, and over pound cake rather than still-cold pound cake cubes placed in a sundae cup. (I've had better sundaes at Pekadill's.)

So if you think Pekadill's is just an ice cream shop or a lunchtime soup & sandwich place, think again. In the summertime they kick it up a notch!

• Visited July 2013