“Lovely hotel with great views.”

Danesfield House Hotel And Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Medmenham
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel with great views.”
Reviewed August 4, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for two nights as part of a wedding party. I had dinner in the restaurant which was very nice. I stayed on the second floor and the room was very hot (no A/C), although there was a fan in the room which was complimentary. I have to say the breakfast on the two occasions that I attended were average. The first morning with still 30 minutes to go, the cooked breakfast had run out temporary. It was replenished at different intervals which was a bit frustrating. On the second occasion they had run out on some items and they were not replaced. But I have to say the staff were very friendly and my room was spotless. I would also like to add that the views form the gardens are stunning.

Room Tip: The wi fi signal in the room was poor !!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Anthony C, General Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Dear PeterCardiff2014
Thank you for sharing your thoughts following your stay with us earlier this month, and whilst dinner was a highlight, my sincere apologies that we failed to hit the mark at breakfast on both mornings of your stay.
As for the views, well we are very lucky have such a wonderful vantage point over the Thames, and as all of the long standing members of the team here say they never tire of that view.
I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back on another occasion, and please do not hesitate to contact me at acox@danesfieldhouse.co.uk so I may make any arrangements personally.

Anthony Cox

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Polish first
St. Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 4, 2014 via mobile

We stayed with the POM 14 offer and were stunned by the value for money. Standard Room was nicely decorated, clean, very effective shower and nice view through window as well as a bottle of chilled champagne waiting for us.

Lounge, bar and terrace areas were wonderful and the service was first class with smiling and attentive waiters. Dinner was from the a la carte menu (included in the package) and the food was great and once again service excellent

The spa was also good, lovely pool which at 8:30am on Sunday we had to ourselves and then on to breakfast. Small complaint is that they kept running out of sausages, bacon, mushrooms, egg from buffet so it was difficult to get a complete breakfast but once everything arrived it was, once again, very very good.

Cannot praise this place highly enough - absolutely exceptional weekend with amazing value for money

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear kenjukes
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us on our POM 14 break, celebrating the arrival of Champagne Pommery as our house pour.
I was delighted to read and share your comments with the team, The offer is available for selected dates for the rest of August, and can be booked with me directly by emailing me at acox@danesfieldhouse.co.uk
I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon and if you do have some dates in mind, please do contact me on the above email address so I may make the arrangements for you personally.
Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

Very best wishes

Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 4, 2014 via mobile

From the moment we took the left turn up the steep driveway & approached the stunning & impressive building set amongst immaculately groomed grounds & gardens, we felt an enormous sense of über luxury & quality & exhaled in delight! Our welcome to the Hotel was from Vanessa, whom has to be one of THE most friendliest & professional front-of-house Staff we have ever encountered! Vanessa was refreshingly bubbly, welcoming & helpful; all of which immediately made us feel most valued & very special indeed! Really, nothing was too much trouble for her & she really does deserve recognition & commendation for the exceptional level of service she extended to my Mother & I. We were allocated the "Hurley" room which is/was absolutely stunning, having amazing & spectacular views across the manicured & topiaried grounds towards the river Thames & the traditional decor felt very opulent & indulgent! Part of our package included a bottle of champagne upon our arrival, which was most welcomingly, chilling upon ice for us, along with a very unexpected chocolate birthday cake & card for my Mother, (I had informed the Hotel we were visiting to celebrate my Mother's birthday) & this really was a most generous & lovely surprise! We enjoyed our champagne out upon the terrace, immediately outside our room, which was private & relaxing as we soaked up the sunshine & the panoramic views! Pure bliss! Later we enjoyed the use of the spa & pool, taking a late afternoon swim & drying off upon the loungers scattered about the lawn as we read the Sunday newspapers! This hotel & spa is immaculate throughout & every little bit of attention to detail has been executed superbly! The Staff within the spa were equally as professional & as friendly as Vanessa & again there's a real sense that the Customers/Guests really do matter & are of great importance which is a sentiment all too often forgotten by Hoteliers! Dinner in the restaurant was as delicious as much as a work of art; the presentation was stunning & absolutely exquisite! The scallops were amazing, the duck breast just incredible & the pressed banana tart with toffee sauce & vanilla ice cream was simply show-stopping!! The service throughout was attentive & efficient & Sarina was particularly noticeable as her smiley disposition & helpful & professional service really did enhance our dining experience & evening; once again, as with Vanessa, Sarina deserves recognition & commendation as she truly is exemplary! Our 7am, pre-breakfast swim was super enjoyable as we had the entire pool to ourselves; joking that we felt like Ladies of the manor! Breakfast was yet another fantastic treat; exceptionally welcoming Staff, whom were attentive & friendly, along with an array of fruits, pastries, cereals, cheeses, meats & the traditional English breakfast fare, which we took upon the terrace, once again enjoying the spectacular views & most idyllic ambience! This has been THE MOST relaxing & rejuvenating one night spa/hotel break which I've ever experienced & I really can not recommend highly enough!

Stayed August 2014
Dear Navillusoear
Wow, what a fabulous review! Thank you for taking the time to share your very in depth thoughts. I know Vanessa and Sarina, were so proud to have recieved this feedback, it is greatly appreciated by this hotelier that you have recognised them in such a way.
All that remains for me to say is please do contact me directly when you have some dates in mind for a future “relaxing and rejuvenating” spa break so I can reserve the Hurley room for you and make all of your arrangements personally.
Hopefully see you again soon.

acox@danesfieldhouse.co.uk
Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for one night in August 2014. First impressions of the hotel were great - lovely building and beautiful grounds. We were upgraded which was a nice surprise and the room really didn't disappoint - stunning views, four poster bed and enormous seating area. Lovely room amenities and nice bathroom.

We booked to eat in the restaurant which was a lovely setting however we were disappointed with the extremely slow service - we waited a long time for our starters even though they were both cold dishes...wine list was less than forthcoming and the liqueur coffees at the end caused quite some confusion... All in all the food was nice but service frustrating.

Breakfast however was a real disappointment. Having stayed in many hotels of similar type, I was looking forward to a quality cooked breakfast. What we received was an almost cold and over cooked buffet selection - far from what you would expect.

Would definitely recommend the hotel and will stay again, however will not return to the restaurant and may also skip breakfast.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LittleMilli
Dear LittleMilli
Thank you for taking the time to post your very balanced review and I was delighted to read that on the whole you had a great time here at Danesfield House.
Certainly some areas for us to work upon though, as a team we welcome feedback so thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.
We look forward to welcoming you back again, so when you have some dates in mind please do contact me directly so I may offer our best available rate and make all of the arrangements for you personally.

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed July 30, 2014

This property has a very interesting history in it's role in supplying photographic intelligence during wartime. The 65-acre grounds overlooking the Thames river valley are manicured and the setting is very quiet. To get a view of the river itself, you will want to take a stroll past the gardens located just beyond the dining terrace, but you can't physically get to the river's edge from there. The location is a bit awkward if you don't have a car since walking into Marlow is not a safe option due to traffic. Peter (guest relations manager) provided exceptional service during our stay and was very responsive. The food was great (particularly breakfast), but the summer dining room staff would benefit from a stronger leadership presence. They were very friendly when you are able to get their attention however. This is a super little property ideal for those who want to relax in what feels like a private residential estate, but I picked it because it was easy walking distance to the SAS offices next door. Check out the spa while you are there too if you have the time.

Room Tip: 3rd floor rooms get hot in the summer months (no air-conditioning), but the room we were in was equi...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear Trevorsh
“Charming retreat in the Countryside”
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your stay with us in July. We were delighted to read your comments and thank you for the personal mention for Peter, he certainly works very hard to deliver exceptional service and works with the team to do so.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Danesfield House when you are next on business in the area.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 28, 2014

I cannot recommend this hotel & spa facility enough, it has an absolutely gorgeous setting, you truly feel immediately relaxed as soon as you come up the winding tree lined entrance. The views from the terrace down over the gardens and to the Thames are wonderful and having breakfast and dinner out on the terrace or in The Orangery Restaurant is a special experience (food is lovely too!).
The staff were just super for our entire trip, so friendly and welcoming and happy to help at all points. I've seen a few reviews commenting on the poor service given that there was a wedding being held there during their stay, there were weddings (maybe 3) during our stay, and we saw no dip in service at all, the weddings themselves were well away from our room and so we were not disturbed at all by any noise & you couldn't really tell that there was a wedding taking place at all.
Spa facilites were super and the golf course next door, Harleyford Golf Course, is well worth a visit too.
The reason for my title "5 stars for the price.." is that it is a little tired in places, especially the bedrooms however if the bedrooms had been refurbed with all these facilities and the setting, I would not have been able to afford to stay here!
Do go to this hotel it is an absolute gem, I'm sure you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Anthony C, General Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Dear Emily S
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your stay with us at Danesfield House last weekend.
The team were delighted to read your comments and we were particularly pleased the weather played its part to allow you to enjoy some serious time on our terrace.
Harleyford Golf Course is very convenient to reach from Danesfield and I will pass on your comments to our “neighbours” who I know will also welcome your feedback.
I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon, please do not hesitate to contact me as I would be delighted to make any arrangements for a future stay personally.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed July 25, 2014

My partner and I, who is an ex South Afican tennis No 1 discovered Danesfield House a decade ago, whilst staying during Wimbledon, with a friend who was then a resident in the area.. One glimpse of the unique marble turrets adorned with real the snow white doves and the hotel's fabulous location on Sir Redgrave's rowing route along the Thames, surrounded by landmark trees and lavender gardens and we were as hooked as fresh trout from the nearby shallows. I have returned several times over the years to film my international television series "a Player's Kingdom" and to simply imbibe the beauty, tranquility. and pastoral views There has been a new addition on every occasion: first a fabulous spa( the first Zumba class I participated in ), then the Japanese gardens and still to come - brand new tennis courts. This is the quintessential English Country House in sought after surrounds and the consummate "Queen Of The Thames" is fortunate to have a visionary new manager, Anthony Cox at the helm. Small wonder all the Henley Arts Festival Luminaries strive to stay here....We shall be back in the Fall...

Room Tip: Rooms on the River Side have the most sweeping views, however given the surround gardens, every room...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank deborah s
Anthony C, General Manager at Danesfield House Hotel And Spa, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear Deb

“Queen of the Thames!
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your stay with us post Wimbledon. It was a pleasure to meet you both at breakfast on your last day with us and I really enjoyed our chat and learning more about your previous visits to Danesfield,
I look forward to welcoming you back in the autumn.

Anthony
Also consider these accommodations in or near Medmenham
Macdonald Compleat Angler
Hartwell House
Hartwell House
#1 of 1 in Hartwell
Stoke Park Country Club, Spa and Hotel

Been to Danesfield House Hotel And Spa? Share your experiences!