“one time wonder”

Cuisines: Italian
S.e. Michigan
“one time wonder”
Reviewed April 15, 2012

There were four of us at dinner last night at Marvasos. The atmosphere is okay, nothing too special. There are electronic keno boards and electronic event boards around which kind of give it a barroom feeling. Our waitress was Kim and she was very good, friendly and professional.
I had the lobster bisque....not good, very very thick and gloppy. I'm sure it is from a mix and not truly homemade. Next course was Caesar salad. Okay but not great. For entree I had the Chicken Cacciatore Parmesiana. Not good. The chicken breast was totally tasteless, good thing it was covered in cheese and the too "winey" sauce. I had kickback from the peppers in the sauce all night. My husband had fish...frozen filets and baked potato and he had the bean and ham soup. Not that great is how he described his meal. Our friends had the filet and the
chicken marsala. Filet was good, chicken marsala very good we were told. For dessert we shared a piece a cheesecake...also not prepared on premises ....with Sanders Hot Fudge topping. So so for the cheesecake....way way way too much topping poured on it.
I'd heard good things about Marvasos, so I was disappointed in my experience there. The prices are decent four of us ate and beer enjoyed for a total of about $115.
Oh, I almost forgot, the calamari is delicious and fried just right, not rubbery at all with a wonderful aioli accompanying it. There chairs are very comfortable too.
Unfortunately, there are much better Italian restaurants around that I will go to.

• Visited April 2012

Detroit, Michigan
“Great service, nice atmosphere, average food”
Reviewed November 1, 2010

Did some research on Marvaso's before we dined. The main reason we went was because it was rated number 4 -(copy and past link) http://wdiv.cityvoter.com/winners/4-the-best/4771/great-meals/italian?place=4&view=List
The restaurant was nice inside and we were seated immediately. Our server was patient and very helpful in narrowing down our dining choices - everything looked great!
For starters, I had a salad- plain iceburg lettuce, 2 cherry tomatoes, and 1 cucumber medallion cut in half. The best part - the ranch dressing. My fiance had the french onion soup - he said it was great. The waitress brought rolls - I think that's what they were? They seemed to be almost like a mini baguette - extremely bland and disappointing.
Appetizer was a trio of mozzerella sticks, fried chicken strips and wings and 6 dipping sauces. The cheese sticks had a tempura breading on them, very different. Chicken strips were pretty good, nice and crunchy. My fiance ate the chicken wings and said he thinks they were baked first then flash fried - he liked them to say the least.
Main entree for myself was the chicken parmigiana. The spagetti was good, but the chicken was totally average and so was marinara. Fiance had the veal parmigiana and he said it was good but nothing to cheer about.
We didn't hate the food but would not dine here again.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Marvaso's Italian Grille...”
Reviewed May 24, 2008

Marvaso's Italian Grille is, well, just okay. The eggplant Parmesan was decent and the gnocchi was bland with marinara sauce that had no flavor. The service wasn't the best. My husband enjoyed his farfalle with chicken and cherries, but it did not reheat well. I wouldn't make it a point to drive there again.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook