“Met Expectations”

Super 8 West Branch
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in West Branch
Reviewed October 23, 2009

We were there for one night in July -- just passing through the area. This hotel is not on a par with most Hampton's or HIE's of course, but the facilities were clean and provided what we needed for the night -- no problems with the room. The staff was very courteous; and the lobby was a bit of a nice surprise, as it was really converted into a rather attractive little gift shop -- in which my wife found a nice shirt she wanted.My only complaint would be the breakfast area. This is a fairly good size Super 8, with 77 rooms. Yet the breakfast area is a small room with only 4 or 5 tables in it -- and even worse, all the tables had just two chairs. Now you know there are going to be some parties of 3 or 4 people. So naturally, they took the 2 chairs from other tables, leaving two tables with no chairs whatsoever when we arrived. So it was a logistical mess, as people stood around, or had to gather up their food in hand and head back to their room. How can people manage all other aspects of the hotel business well, and then be so stupid about something like this? Do simple wooden table chairs cost that much?That issue aside, I would still give it a "thumbs up" for a basic one-night stay.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Weston66

Reviewed March 4, 2009

Stayed one night to attend a family function in Gladwin MI. I did not stay in Gladwin as the accomodations were below average as reported by my relatives.
I thought my room, the lobby, pool, and breakfast room were very clean.
I had no one in the rooms around me so my stay was very quiet. Beds were comfortable for a Super 8. My brother had a room with guests above and reported a stay that was less quiet.
The free breakfast offerings were 3 cold cereals, instant oatmeal, english muffins, doughnuts, cook your own waffle, coffee, juice, milk, hot cocoa. Not bad for free. Want a better breakfast? Go to Big Boy nearby.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank ne_ohiofanily
Reviewed June 17, 2008

Stayed here because the front desk promised the wireless internet was "great all over the hotel". It is so slow it is not usable.

Stayed: June 2008
1  Thank kayannl
Reviewed May 11, 2008

Hey what can you say, you get what you pay for. My wife and our 2 children 3 and 8 months stayed there for a night. Cheap beds and pillows but you get what you pay for. Everytime a door shut in the hotel you heard the slam of the door. Breakfast was alrighit but go to Big Boys next door.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank DougieFresh28
Reviewed May 6, 2007

Both me and my parents have stayed here and never had any problems. It's not a luxury hotel, but it was clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed November 19, 2006

My family reserved 2 rooms for a 2 night stay at this motel for a weekend of rest. Dates Nov. 17-19, 2006. We paid cash upon registration the evening we arrived. We liked the rooms & my girls loved the pool area. The breakfast area was very nice to have. The cleaning ladies & the hotel staff was all very nice, friendly & helpful except for the night desk girl/lady. The people in the room above us were very unruly both nights (same people stayed in that room each night). The 1st night we put up with the extremely loud banging until about 1:00 a.m. We went down to the desk & asked the lady if it was possible to ask those in the room above us to settle in for the night. I am not exaggerating when I say it sounded like a cannon ball hitting our ceiling/the room upstairs' floor. The banging seemed to happen every 1/2 hour to hour & grew louder each time. About 3 a.m. we asked the desk clerk again to have the guests upstairs quiet down. She stated that the security guard had checked it out once & there was no noise when he did so. She also stated that other guests had been complaining about the guests in that room but the security guard found no problem. Needless to say that we got little to no sleep. The 2nd night the same banging started. My husband is a truck driver & can sleep through 50 semi's running at once. I can vacuum around him & it doesn't wake him up! The banging was so loud at 4:30 a.m. that it woke even him up. I went back to the desk & the same girl was on duty. She was more interested in reading her magazine than listening to me. She said other guests had again complained & that the security guard had found nothing wrong. She acted as if all of the guests were imagining this noise & she could not help. I told her that if the security guard would position himself at the end of the hallway upstairs for the night that he would surely hear this noise as it was ridiculously loud when it happened. She gave me a look as if I was stupid so yes I got mad. I told her to have the sec. guard come sleep in my room & see if he got any sleep when he was jarred awake every few hours. Needless to say she was not in the least bit helpful. The next day I spoke to the desk clerk {different lady} when I was checking out. She was very apologetic & refunded us a total of $16. I would rather have had the sleep & relaxation that I came for, but it was not the day clerks fault. I will try the Quality Inn next time my family decides to visit West Branch as it looked very nice & the Super 8 rated low in my opinion of customer satisfaction when it comes to unruly guests. Or perhaps it was just the night clerk that did not care to perform her job as her magazine seemed much more important than the guests comfort. T. L. Plain

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank TruckinLady
16 mi away
LogHaven Bed & Breakfast
LogHaven Bed & Breakfast
#1 of 1 in West Branch

Been to Super 8 West Branch? Share your experiences!