“Motel cancelled my reservation for a free night on rewards program to give my room to a paying customer”

Super 8 West Branch
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in West Branch
Bay City, Michigan
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I made reservation June 13, 2012 for July 14, 2012 stay thru Wyndham rewards I called Super 8 the day prior to verify reservation only to find out after a three hr conversation starting with rude front desk staff at Super 8 then with Wyndham rep(whom was very apologetic) that the reservation was cancelled by motel earlier that evening to take a paying customer since mine was on rewards program for a free stay I spoke with the manager and she stated she thinks person I spoke with was trying to scam her and I and it wasnt a Wyndham rep even after I told her I called the number to get this rep She was rude and I ended up in the middle of a 12 day vacation with no where to stay I will never use Super 8 or any Wyndham property again I am not a difficult person to please but this was the worst experience Ive ever had with any motel

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Rochester, Michigan
Reviewed June 12, 2012

Made reservations a month earlier for 8 rooms with queen beds. We show up at the hotel around 6pm and are told that 5 out of the 8 reservations have been cancelled and that no rooms are available!!! After the front desk speaks with the manager, rooms magically become available out of an "emergency" quota, but the rooms now have double beds, not a whole lot of inconvenience, but we would've booked doubles if we wanted, to begin with!

Anyways......the room was rather comfortable but did smell of cigarette smoke and did have cigarette holes around in the bed spread, & carpet.

Saving grace was that - the pool was big enough for our 8 families and the kids (both big ;-) & small) had a blast.

Staff at the front desk was very polite and helpful and even discounted the room price to make up for the faux pas.

Would recommend this place, especially if you plan on a shopping trip, since the outlets are right next door....cheers.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank S S
Escanaba, Michigan
Reviewed June 10, 2012

We just stayed here one night for a softball tournament and thankfully it was only for one night. Our room smelled of stale smoke and there were cigarette burns in the carpet. The carpet should have been replaced when it was changed to a nonsmoking room. Hairdryer was broken and they had no replacements available. The hotel is very noisy and there is no lobby to gather in as this has been replaced with a kitschy gift shop. Overall, it is on my top ten worst hotels list..

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Fab44
Twining, MI
Reviewed June 2, 2012

My husband surpised me with a get away not knowing what we were doing we arrived at the super 8 he goes into the lobby and came out we have checked into a jucuzzi room the room was vary nice, we go out to dinner and came back to the room. He fill's up the tub bubbles are froming then we noticed this brown scummy film on top of the bubbles, he was vary up set we had all ready moved into the room he really didnt want to have to move are belongings he wanted to releax. He went to talk to the front desk clerk she had said it was rust but trust and beleive it's not rust it's from the system not being flush after each and every use. we bleach and flushed the tub four/ five times thinking it was clean but it wasn't. In the morning the he went down to the desk spoke with the manager she had adjusted the room rate and all but i truly feel the second night should have been free, for the agervation we went thought we changed room's that jucuzzi was dirty just not as bad and we ran bleach though it four times. we will go somewhere else next time.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Fred S
Grosse Ile, Michigan
Reviewed November 14, 2011

Just checked in today made a reservation for a double queen on the 1st floor asked for the 1st floor since my husband has a heart condition. But when he got there they said no opening on the 1st floor, there is no elevater if I had been with him and my son. I would be where my reservation was suppose to be or I would have went somewhere else. We have stayed at this motel about twice a year never had a problem before. Very disappointed.

Room Tip: don't settle for anything but what you want
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Mary Ann H
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed October 17, 2011

Good value for the price. Clean rooms, quiet setting. Polite courteous receptionist at front desk. Pillows were like pancakes. Way too squishy. Stayed in handicapped room and found the shower floors very slippery.

Room Tip: Wheel chair accessible but found the shower floors to be very slippery.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Kathleen B
Ann Arbor, MI
Reviewed October 7, 2011

I was very pleasantly surprised by this hotel. My room was large, everything was clean, the bed was comfortable, the wifi worked as did the cable. Hotel is pet friendly! If you are thinking of going to the outlet mall, it is a stones throw away from here. I would highly recommend this hotel - it's nicer than many hotels I've stayed in at twice the price.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
#2 of 2 in Standish
In Town Inn
In Town Inn
#1 of 2 in Standish

Been to Super 8 West Branch? Share your experiences!