“Hidden Gem”
Review of Sharaku

Sharaku
Ranked #12 of 110 Restaurants in West Bloomfield
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Tucked away in this outdoor plaza is a pleasant Japanese gourmet surprise. From the outdoor exterior it is difficult to imagine that inside is a truly authentic sushi experience.

I was seated at the sushi bar and immediately I was impressed by the presence of the two chefs dressed smartly in Japanese style of shirt, tie, chef's hat and sushi lab coats. It was very obvious they have a lot of experience and know what they are doing.

I ordered the chirashi, an assorted sampling of sashimi served on. It was the best I've tasted in Michigan and rivals restaurants in NYC, Chicago and even in Japan. Fresh, perfectly sliced and proportioned are a few adjectives I can think of to describe my serving. I also had an a la carte nigiri of uni and it was perfect; however, I was a little disappointed that $5.50 only netted one piece.

Overall, a truly delicious experience tucked away in a mall where you would expect places to serve all you can eat low quality fare. At $45 for one person for dinner, not unreasonable for a visit to a local authentic Japanese restaurant.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

I had been here before with some Japanese business colleagues, who introduced me to this very traditional restaurant.
Both times it was lunch, and both times very good. Presentation is in the Japanese tradition and sushi bar is good entertainment, watching the chef as he prepared many different items.

You are greeted by all employees when you enter and immediately given a nice hot cup of green tea.

I had a bowl of soup and another bowl of sushi rice, some raw fish, wit a fermented white sauce, raw onion - and some potato salad, some interesting pickled veggies and seaweed. Very nice experience and authentic.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

The food is very good here but this place is not Allergy friendly. I have a gluten and Shellfish allergy and I told them several times. They had no Soy gluten free sauce. So had to eat my dinner without soy. Here is where they went wrong. They brought me my food, but they had it mixed with cut up shrimp and soy. I asked them if that was shellfish, I could not tell it was cut up. He said no. I looked and asked if it was shrimp. He said yes. I then had to let him know that Shrimp is SHELLFISH. I will say my wife loved her food. So food good, just be carful if you have any allergies. Next time I will bring my own Soy.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

You are in Japan! real japanese food by real japanese people. Lunch set at a very affordable price ($10) with the right quantity. Family welcome, gentle service.

1  Thank Alekusu A
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Always have a great time and great sushi at Sharaku. Sushi is great and it is fun watching them prepare the dishes at the sushi counter. We enjoy all their different types of sushi. We have never had a bad meal there.