“Cuisine well worth the trip” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #76 of 105 Restaurants in West Bloomfield
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Highland, Michigan
“Cuisine well worth the trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

The food was top shelf at the Fiddler. Russian cuisine, the borscht soup was tasty and the lamb chops were seasoned and cooked just right. Great selection of Russian vodkas and beers.

We used a Groupon for dinner and the reviews I read said others using these deals received poor service, I disagree our waiter was on the ball and pleasant. The Fiddler is located in a strip mall which I did not expect for an upscale restruant, but consider it a hidden jewel and you should come experience Russian cuisine for your self.

• Visited May 2013
3 Thank Justin W

Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
“Great food and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

My husband and I decided to try this restaurant since we will be travelling to Russia later this year and wanted to sample some Russian cuisine. There were mixed reviews and we were not sure what to expect. I am happy to say that the food and service were great. The portion size was large and both of our meals came with a yummy large salad that had lots of veggies in it. We plan on returning with our children in the near future.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank KarenM1_10
Metro Detroit
“Great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

The food is great, at least the chicken cutlets that I ordered and the "tabaka" chicken that my wife had were simply delicious. There was a large Russian party in the adjacent room so the waiters seemed rushed and we had to call a few times to get their attention. The interior is very nicely designed, nothing obviously ethnic though, except for some paintings hanging on the wall ( these were real oil paintings, rather original).

We would definitely be comming back to try some other dishes.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank G G
Plymouth, Michigan
“As Priceless as a Faberge Egg!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Na Zdorovie! To Your Health! This is the toast with the first shot of Russian vodka. The Fiddler was a wonderful surprise with old world smells, romantic setting and varied menu. Many of the wait staff spoke Russian and took pleasure in introducing the vodka pairings with each course. We enjoyed the live violin, viola, and singing by the solo performer.
The food was good, the selection eastern european. I wept as I tasted the borscht - it took me back to my childhood and my grandma's cooking. Delicious! The wait staff was a bit slow, so plan to stay and enjoy the experience.
What's not to love? A trip to Russia, but you only have to go as far as West Bloomfield. Great food, wonderful music, kitschy Russian Soap Opera on the TV over the bar (you don't need to know Russian to follow the campy "Hogan's Heroes-esque" plot. A great evening!

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Traveling_Mammy_of_3
“A hidden gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

The place was aglow with light, banter and music. Very cozy setting with people milling around and seated, engaged in heart warming conversation. The gentleman who was softly crooning Russian favorites accompanied to delightful music was adorable. Everyone's face was aglow in the soft lighting and the lit icicles in the center of what looked like a dance floor threw dazzles of light bursts everywhere.

We started with authentic Russian beer, Baltika. Followed by a very very yummy borscht. We ordered meat blintzes that were served with mushroom sauce, delightfully comforting and satisfying. I ordered Brick chicken which was cooked to crispy perfection and served with creamy mashed potatoes and a zingy tomato sauce. My dinner companion ordered the house specialty, lamb chops, and was delighted with his order as well.

Except for the initial questions about whether or not we had a Groupon which made us laugh because we began to feel like the staff was wondering what we were doing there and how we'd found the place without a Groupon. When we were asked again when our cheque was brought out, I was tempted to ask, should I go print one lol.

I'm definitely recommending this place to my international dining buddies.

I had a lovely enchanting evening.

3 Thank DominoP3