“Cold, unsatisfactory water park!!!”

Surfari Joe's Indoor Wilderness Water Park
More attraction details
Owner description: Splash to your hearts' content with 18,000 square feet of indoor water park fun at Surfari Joe's in SW Michigan. Twirl and whirl on two extreme slides that funnel outside of the park landing you back inside with a big splash. Enjoy a relaxing ride with family and friends around the Zambezi River Run or swim in Lino's Lagoon activity pool. Our Pygmy Pond Play Place is just right for the kiddos featuring an adventurous playland with slides, the Surfari Joe dumping bucket and more. Too much water fun, then take a break and play in the radical Rip Curl Arcade with over thirty games keeping everyone busy for hours. Located on the upper deck of Surfari Joe's, the Water Hole Grill and Bar features a variety of drinks, pizzas, combo baskets and more! Birthday party or special event need planning? Surfari Joe's is the ideal hosting place. Escape to Surfari Joe's Indoor Wilderness Waterpark conveniently located off I-94 in Watervliet, Michigan adjoining the new Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott hotel! Escape theme park packages available online. The hotel features complimentary WiFi, fitness center, complimentary hot breakfast and more.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Paw Paw, Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Cold, unsatisfactory water park!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

We wanted to bring our 14 year old daughter out for a fun day during Christmas break. We spent 80$ on day passes to the water park for two adults, our daughter, and her 14 year old friend. When we called to check for availability we were told that the water is always 84 degrees, and were advised that we had to bring our own towels??? Upon arrival there were about 20 people in the park, but only two in the water. To our dismay, the water temperature was too cold to allow anyone to remain in the pool longer than a couple of minutes. Even the kids would make a trip or two down the slide, and then have to leave the pool to warm up. When I asked the staff about the water temperature, they were very pert, and informed me that the water was 77 degrees and that was good enough. The park does not allow anyone under 18 years old into the hot tub, but because the pool was too cold to use, we asked the two other adults in the hot tub if they minded if the girls entered it. They agreed, and the two girls talked quietly in the far corner, but were told to leave by the lifeguard/pool manager.
After only one hour in the water park, I then asked the "pool manager" for a refund since the water was too cold to enjoy (over half of the other people had already left, and ten other adults were getting ready to leave as well), and because the kids were not allowed into the hot tub. I was told in a rude manner that I could only be given a free pass for one free four hour session, even though I had paid for 4 day passes! In an attempt to retain the remaining visitors the park allowed the other kids into the hot tub as we left. I don't want a free pass to go back to what I consider to be a lack luster, non service oriented business! Big disappointment!!!

Visited December 2012
3 Thank K P

Coloma, Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Beware of the Water”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

We have stayed here twice, each time the water in the tub smelled like sulfur, and my daughter got E.Coli in her ear. Never tried the water Park. Love the taxidermied animals.

4 Thank Rennhack
Augusta, Georgia, United States
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Poorly Staffed - Never again will we stay here!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

I knew the original owner of this property when it was built and never had any issues in the past. I have stayed here many times because it was close to family when I would drive up from Georgia.
We had a family member who had cancer and was not doing well, so my sister booked a room here because she was driving in from Virginia. We booked the room for 4 days. Her cell phone did not work well in this area.. I could not get ahold of anyone from this hotel when I called to talk to my sister in her room. I would have to go to the hotel to contact my sister.
On Monday Morning 8-27-12 (5am), her husband was traveling into to town to meet up with her and could not get anyone to answer the phone at the hotel...
My Aunt passed away that Monday morning around 6am and no one could reach the hotel to inform my sister until 9am..
No one in our family will ever stay at this place ever again... I am still waiting on a call from the hotel manager.. I have left several messages.....

2 Thank Joe C
Galesburg, Michigan, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Spend your $$ somewhere else!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

Just had my son's birthday party at Surfari Joe's and was not impressed. Rooms were adequate but the cost for the waterpark is just not worth it. The park itself is small and very highly chlorinated. Staff seemed not very friendly and construction closed the dining facilities and exercise room. Gave up on the continental breakfast (coffee was made in a Mr. Coffee and disappeared every 20 minutes when a pot was done) - went to Burger King. I should have known when the staff told us to bring our own towels it would be disappointing and it was.

3 Thank Mary C
Gaines, Michigan
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Clean Over Night Stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

My Husband,I, and our three children ages 18, 11, and 9 stayed over night here August 3, 2012. We booked this hotel due to a wedding at the local Mill Creek Barn.

We traveled 3 hours to get here and arrived at 2:00 pm check in is at 3:00. Check in process quick and easy.

Room: Two queen size beds with a clean room. We requested a roll out bed during the resevation process and called upon arrival to the room for one to be delivered with extra linens. They said they would have one delivered to the room while we were at the wedding from 4- 10 pm. When we arrived back to the room at 10 pm no extra bed was present. A follow up call was needed and one was delivered. Linens and bed was comfortable.

My issue with this stay lies in the water park hours which are 3- 10 pm; and pool only in am from 8- 10 am. Which meant my kids would not be able to utilize the water park in full during our stay.

The wedding was outside and was hot- hot- hot...94 degress! Needless to say my Husband brought the kids back around 8pm and the 18 year old took the younger two to the water park for some fun time.

Morning check out was easy and continental breakfast was suffient.

I would of given the Hotel a higher rating if water park hours were focused on costumer friendly hours. if we would of been staying for the weekend I am not sure what we would have done with the kids from 10 am to 3 pm and then my rating would of went way down.

3 Thank missypjordan