“Food was good”

The Irish Tavern
Ranked #27 of 179 Restaurants in Waterford
Cuisines: Irish
Reviewed August 21, 2018 via mobile

We have enjoyed and not enjoyed this place over the years. The first time we came, 4 or 5 years ago, we thought it was phenomenal. We had never had a boxty before and it was hot, tender and moist. Along with the horseradish sauce and braised cabbage, it was perfect. On subsequent visits it was not so good. Corned beef was dry, entire meal served and to be sent back because the food was cold, so we stopped going.

We had a BOGO dinner coupon si last night we ventured there once more.

The interior of the place had not changed....a little on the shabby side, but not a dump. We arrived at 4:45 PM on a Monday and we were the only ones there. The place was freezing. Uncomfortably so. And the music was deadening.

Our Server was very nice. I asked her to turn down the music a tad and asked if she could put one if the mant TV screens on the local news, both of which she did.

We ordered our drinks and looked at the menu. It was pretty much the same as before, except printed in a new format.

They still had the boxtys, but sadly the cabbage had been replaced with seasoned fries. We asked, but cabbage was no longer available. Other styles of potatoes or a vegetable side were available as a seasoned fries substitutr.

We both ordered the corned beef boxty. I had mashed Redskins, hubby had vegetables. The food arrived and we noted that it looked like the boxtys had been downsized considerably since our last visit. They were not served at the temperature that I prefer.....they were just lukewarm, not hot. Hubby's vegetables were good and fresh. My mashed Redskins, however, were cool and gluey.

The food was an improvement over our previous visit

My major complaint, besides the food should have been served at a warmer temperature, was that the place seemed a little on the dirty side. We sat at a window booth and there was a fly carcass smashed on the inside window. There were also a couple of flies buzzing around.

I told our server that she should have the cleaning crew remove the fly when they cleaned and pointed it out to her. Her response was "gross" and she walked back to the bar.

More patrons started filtering in closer to 5:30. You could tell some were not accustomed to the cold temperature in the place, while others were evidently regulars as the had brought sweaters.

If you haven't had a boxty, try this place. We've never found (even in Ireland) a place that serves them quite the same.

Message to owners: clean the place up! Remove the dead fly from the window....I've attached a picture so you can recognize it.

We ordered a second be average and our meals.

Date of visit: August 2018

Reviewed July 9, 2018

My Wife and I were in the area and stopped in for lunch on a whim. The hardest part of the whole eating experience was deciding what to order... the whole menu looked excellent. Traditional Irish food mixed with standard American fare with some items straddling both. I had one of the daily specials: pulled pork, cheddar cheese, fried onions and barbecue sauce wrapped in a boxty (an Irish potato pancake) with a side of seasoned fries. My Wife had the mushroom-swiss burger and fries. The boxty was perfect, the pork was tender and well sauced and the fries were hot and crisp... they went especially well with the offered malt vinegar. Our server was fast and helpful and the atmosphere was quiet and family friendly. We will definitely be eating here again on our next trip to the area.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed June 18, 2018

Place is clean waitstaff are average. The food is average. they have karaoke. Lot"s of tv's. For the price of food and alcohol I would not recommend it

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed December 24, 2017

My wife and I have dinner here about twice a month. Always good. I kept hearing about their mussels and wanted to try them. Not sure if I could have been more disappointed. So overcooked I had trouble chewing. I was hoping that someone would ask if everything was ok. nope.

Date of visit: December 2017
Doug Y, Owner at The Irish Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2017

Dean, we are sorry to hear you did not like the mussels that were served to you. Please know we always have a manager on duty and encourage all guest to address any food concerns while still dining, as we are happy to accommodate you where we see fit. We hope you will give us another try in the future, as we would love to restore your confidence in us!

Reviewed June 3, 2017 via mobile

My husband and I stopped here while doing errands on this side of town. We both chose something the bartender recommended. My husband had the corn beef boxty, which came with a side of cabbage. I had the beach burger. My burger was EXCELLENT. My husband enjoyed his sandwich as much as I did mine. Being a fan of Jameson, I tried their Jameson margarita which was great. The bartender/wait staff were friendly and helpful. We will definitely make a trip to come out here again!

Date of visit: June 2017