“Not if you paid me”

Candlewood Suites Detroit/Warren
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Warren
“Not if you paid me”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

The only semi impressive thing about this place was the kitchen in the suite. We had to ask to be moved our first night because of a faulty air conditioner that wouldn't get the room below 80. The lady at the desk was rude to everyone in our wedding party. When we checked in and she rushed us off without any direction to our room. We paid the $50 room deposit with cash and handed me a paper which I lost because she never said I would need it, then when I checked out she got crappy cause I didn't have it, kept insisting that she told me to keep it. The day I checked in, I paid for my RESERVED room, and the people behind me in line had NO reservation and paid $10 less per night for the room. A/C doesn't work unless you're actually in the room,so don't stay during summer months. Basically don't waste your time with this one

• Stayed August 2012
Donna H, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Detroit/Warren, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
I am very sorry that you had to move to another room because we had an issue with the air conditioner.
We have 122 guest rooms and from time to time these things can not be avoided.
There is no excuse for anyone being rude and I truly apologize if you felt you were not receiving quality guest service.
I also know how frustrating it can be when you have a large party and the wait time at the front desk takes a while to check people in.
As for the $50.00 cash deposit, it is standard policy at time of check in to have a credit card on file.
If the guest doesn't have a credit card we have to hold a cash deposit.
To address your concern with the rate you paid for your room; we have many different rate codes based on affiliation with groups and extended stay.
Again, I sincerely hope you will come back to Candlewood Suites in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Texarkana, Arkansas
Reviewed August 6, 2012

This hotel is super outdated. I have stayed at candlewood suites before but never one this bad. Halls and rooms smelled super bad. I believe it used to be a good but will never stay here again unless it is updated. Customer service is lacking as well. Not friendly at all.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank traveltara1
Donna H, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Detroit/Warren, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
I am so sorry that you did not enjoy your stay here at Candlewood Suites.
We greatly appreciate your feedback on our product and fully agree with you in the fact that we are outdated. In the fall we will be going through full renovations and we hope that you will return and see our new updated Hotel and Guest Suites.
As for our customer service I apologize you did not receive Above and Beyond Service; we pride ourselves in living up to this standard and it is your feedback that helps us to recognize our shortcomings.
Cedartown, Georgia
Reviewed July 9, 2012

This hotel was absolutely great for the value! The full kitchens and free washers and dryers were a big plus! Reta and Megan showed great customer service. We will definitely return!

• Stayed July 2012
We are so glad that your stay was comfortable and you felt at home with us.
So often we forget to tell our guests how they make our day here at Candlewood Suites so rewarding.
We hope to see you back here soon... our renovations will make your stay even better!
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed November 29, 2011

I've stayed at the Candlewood in Warren MI for 14 out of the last 15 months. The Operations Manager Jen and all of the front desk staff have continually treated me like a valued guest. The cleaning staff are top notch and always do a great job. I enjoy the amenities like free laundry, workout room, free wireless, and the Candlewood Cupboard is an added bonus.

I highly recommend Candlewood for any travelers, especially those needing an effective work area in your room and a location close to lots of Warren restaurants and businesses.

The only downside of this particular Candlewood is the wireless connection is very slow after 5:00pm and we seem to all be competing for the same bandwidth. Would help to place a few more access points in the building.

Room Tip: Avoid any rooms within 3 doors of the elevator or exterior stair doors. They are pretty noisy. I'...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank LJMinKC
Theresa T, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Detroit/Warren, responded to this review, January 20, 2012
Thank you so much for your valuable honest feedback. We look forward to your return!
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed October 1, 2011

I stayed here before (and everything was GREAT), so when I was given the choice...I actually asked my company to book me at this hotel. Honestly, it was one of the biggest mistakes and worst experiences of any hotel I have ever stayed at in the last 4 years!

The Operations/Front desk Manager named Jen., gave me the worst customer service experience I have ever had! She made a promise she NEVER kept; she gave me the run around for 2 weeks; when I called and asked her a simple question like, do you know what the weather will be like today, instead of just looking it up like most front desk people do...she told me "why don't you just turn on the weather channel and wait until they tell you the weather! I was like excuse me? When I said, my TV is not working and most hotels print this information and post it daily, she huffed and puffed like she was irritated and very nastily gave me the answer. After that, if I would call to the front desk and ask her a question, Jen would say I will get back to you and would never follow-up! She was just a horrible nightmare and I was very, very unhappy! I was told that she was the head manager in charge of the Hotel (which made me feel paralyzed because if the buck stops w/her, where else could I go to get help) well later I found out that there is a new General Manager - Meghan (she is an Angel-THANK GOD for HER!)

Even one of the front desk ladies was just down right rude too! I began to wonder if I was in the Twilight Zone or something, because I thought the front desk people are suppose to be friendly, and greet you with a smile. This front desk lady -Rhea, was not friendly, never smiled and specialized in saying "NO." She would even park in a front parking space, taking that premium space away from the guest(s). One day I asked for towels and she acted like she did not want to give them to me...I was thinking maybe she was trained by the Manager Jen., because they both left the same "nasty taste in my mouth." After ALL of the hassle, the front desk even had the nerve to charge the wrong Corporate Card, so while they were specializing in "No's" the front desk could not get this most important transaction right! I was just so dissatisfied!

My stay was not ALL bad, which is why I even gave the overall rating of POOR! For example, the cleaning staff was excellent and very thorough! They even gave me extra towels because of the mistreatment I received by Rhea the front desk lady! There were 2 exceptional and helpful front desk people: Erica & Tony. Now these front desk people, were very professional, friendly! Even when they did not know the answer they still made you feel like they were trying to help. These 2 employees of the Hotel were like night & day compared to Jen. & Rhea!

Lastly, when I discovered that there was a different Manager in charge, the actual head Manager in charge - Meghan, I told her about my horrible experiences and since it was the end of my stay, she was not able to do much, but she at least understood how I felt and tried to make my last night comfortable!

Interestingly enough, after I told the General Manager about how Jen & her other staff member treated me, on my way out ALL of a sudden the Operations Manager Jen. was so nice to me! If she had treated me like a valued guest from the beginning and been nice w/ good customer service during my stay, I would have been able to say nice things and rate the Hotel the way I remembered it from my last stay! So beware! If Jen is there when you check in, PLEASE do yourself a favor and DON'T STAY!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Faustenia M
Theresa T, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Detroit/Warren, responded to this review, October 3, 2011
We are sorry about your experience, and hope you will give us a try again in the future. Thank you again for bringing this to our attention and can promise you we will make every attempt to ensure this never happens again.

- Theresa Thomas, Director of Sales
Uniontown, Ohio
Reviewed September 26, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel almost weekly for the last 2 years- the staff is very cordial and attentive- the location is clean and the Candlewood Cupboard is a nice touch- workout room and laundry are great also- close to a lot of my customers- I will continue to stay there

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Rick C
Thank you for your compliments, we look forward to your many returns to us!
Reviewed August 26, 2011

My biggest problem is the lack of curtains and air conditioning. I like it dark and cold when I sleep. Because there are no curtains, my room was filled with bright street lights and lights from the factory next door. Despite the fact that I set the tempurature at 65 degrees, the wall thermostat never went below 78.

Also, the cleaning staff apparantly do not know what the sign "do not disturb" means as I hung it the night before yet still got a housekeeping call at 7:30 the next morning.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank Jacquib30
I apologize for any inconvenience this may caused you. We do have “black out” shades that hide behind the normal curtains. We will make sure to inform our future guests of these cases.

- Theresa Thomas, Director of Sales