“Overall very pleased”

Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Detroit Warren
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Warren
“Overall very pleased”
Reviewed December 22, 2011

Overall very pleased for the price. I booked the reservation online and was somehow booked for a king size suite instead of 2 double beds (I had my wife and 2 kids with me). The front desk staff was kind enough to upgrade us at no charge. The rooms were large and cozy and my kids enjoyed the make your own waffle station. I would stay here again if back in the area. Only negative comment I would say is that the parking lot was full, it was hard to find parking at night and also pool is outdoor so my kids couldn't swim

• Stayed November 2011
2 Thank Hben2858

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Manchester, M44 5AZ
Reviewed November 16, 2011

Clearly writing good reviews from hotel front desk should not be allowed? The only complaint is the coffee was not hot? I work for GM and was visiting for a meeting at the tech center, I stay there for only two days But, Planning to stay in Warren, Mi for two weeks. So, I stay at the Residence inn across the street for the reminder of my time. I agree, with some of the reviews about this place having so many issues and some of the points that already raised. A truly cautious reviewer would even wait until they have their credit card statement for the period of the hotel stay, to make sure that they were billed accurately. Here`s a tip for the owner of the hotel….. “Be proactive, Listen to the feedback, Fix what’s broken, Tell people you’ve listened and fixed the problem, Stop over charging your customers that`s how you have repeat business, Start building your new positive reputation.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank Liam282

Travelers are raving about these Warren hotels

Parsippany, New Jersey
Reviewed November 9, 2011

My second time to this Hawthorn in Warren. My first stay was back in Jan or Feb of this year, can't remember, but I do remember it was -29 degrees outside. I returned here because of the staff and the rooms ( not sure what previous reviews are all about). I walked in, no reservation, and the gal behind the front desk, Lenna actually remembered me from my previous stay. (Nearly 8 months ago, pretty impressive!) I found my room to be spotless, spacious, and love the big flat screen tv. I went to the night time reception which was more like a dinner, and was very good. I loved the new breakfast. My only complaint would be the coffee in the afternoon could have been hotter. (I like my coffee on the extra hot side) but thats it.I will definately come back, and wouldn't stay anywhere else.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank Cityslixer
Des Moines
Reviewed November 1, 2011

I would stay away, as this place doesn't appear safe. I saw shady people walking around and no lights working in the front of the parking lot. (“I`m five miles from Detroit with no light in the front of the hotel!!!) But, for the record, The lobby was very nice and some of the staff are friendly, Now, The assistance manager Lena was not one of them. (She charge my credit card with false double charges and cleaning fees! cleaning fees ?!!!! The decor was very outdated, the room smelled a bit, the bathroom was gross and dirty in the corners, the hallway carpet was soiled (No not wear white socks!!) and hallways were dingy. Walls were thin and neighbors were loud. The food was ok, but limited. Don't think it was worth the money we paid for the room. There are other hotels in the area that are much better. (Residence Inn and la quinta ;) Never stay there again!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Mary s
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 8, 2011

Vacation with the family, visiting friends in Michigan and stay at this hotel. Big mistake!!! Now, where do I start, carpet was really dirty and there was this really gross humid feel to the room. The rooms are crappy...the toilets don't flush...the showers are full of mold, mildew, and miscellaneous body hairs...the sinks don't drain...the sheets smell funny... the front desk assistant manager lady in the morning is rude, snappy, inconsiderate....it may seem like a good value, but after you see the rooms with their cheap furnishings, and the bug problem you'll realize it's not!....Service was incredibly rude too maids laugh in the halls and speak in another language they thought I didn`t know. (I`m fluent in Arabic ) The lobby and the pool is the best part of this hotel ONLY! One thing is for sure; we are never booking that hotel again!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
7 Thank Aquatravel
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed July 7, 2011

My husband and I came here for the weekend to visit family. For the cost that we paid, the rooms were dirty, the guests outside look like they came from a bad part of the hood. The pool was overly crowded the whole weekend we stayed. The fire place in the room did not work. The continental breakfast did not taste good at all accept for the coffee. This is more like a 1-2. The noise level outside and guest rooms above us was as if there were several parties going on. When we asked for towels due to there were not enough, the made was rude and gave us dirty towels. The sheets had a fowel odor and dirty pillow cases. The mattress was hard and springs were sticking out. We even had to step on a couple of bugs in the room. I was mislead that this was a 3-4 star hotel with the comments on this site; they must have been written by the staff. I would not recommend staying here for the cost that we paid. Beware!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
9 Thank AnonymousGuest007
Lisle, Illinois
Reviewed July 2, 2011

We have family in the area and when we visit, this is our preferred place to stay. We favor suites in order to accommodate our sleep habits. The Hawthorne Suites is an affordable, all-suite hotel. We stay here several times a year. In fact, the desk staff recognize us when we arrive and strive to provide us with one of the rooms we prefer to stay in. (Thank you, Lena!)

We like Hawthorn Suites because the rooms are spacious and well set-up. A set of solid doors separate the sleeping area from the living area. Other suite hotels at which we’ve stayed had glass doors (what’s the point?). Yet others are just larger rooms with no separation between the sleeping and living areas (that’s called a ‘suite’???). The living and sleeping areas each have their own TVs. The living area has a stove and refrigerator for those who need them on extended stays.

The hotel is beginning to show its age, but it is clean and well kept up. The rooms we’ve stayed in have always been clean. The beds have been made up well and always been comfortable. During our last stay, we had some problems with the wireless internet. (I wasn't sure whether it was their setup or my older laptop.) When I mentioned this on check-out, Lena said they had some items to help with that if we were staying there again.

The hotel breakfast area is spacious. There are two choices of hot items along with cold cereal, fruit, bagels, etc. There is a waffle maker and your choice of syrup or fruit toppings – even whipped cream.

The parking lot is well lit, but it can get crowded if the hotel is booked up.

We’ve always enjoyed our stays here and we’ll be back when we’re in town again to visit family.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple