“Great find”

Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Seating, Takeout
“Great find”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We were passing through Wakefield on our way to the Black River area around lunchtime. We weren't sure where to eat and decided to pop into Randall's and give it a try. There was a small line when we walked in and a couple of tables occupied so we went to the coffee bar area. Immediately the woman working in the bakery asked us if we were ordering pasties and we told her we were and she said that she thought it would be 20 minutes or so as they were baking and we told her that was fine. After helping a couple of customers with bakery items, she went back into the baking area in the back and came out and told us that the pasties had been put in earlier than she thought and that they were almost ready (good news to our empty bellies!).

A few minutes later she brought out a tray of hot, fresh pasties and served up two for myself and fiancé. She asked us if we wanted to do the pastie special which was a deal if ordered either milk or coffee and we said sure. While we were enjoying our pasties, I would say another 20 or more people came in to buy breads or doughnuts or other baked goods, plus another couple stopped in for the pastie special. The woman working was doing a great job taking care of us and the other couple eating as well as those buying baked goods. After our pasties, we decided to purchase a couple of cookies and pastries for our breakfast the next morning. Our cookies were delicious and our lunch filled us up on our hike looking at the waterfalls in Black River. Our pastries were much better (of course!) than the processed versions that our hotel provided to us the following morning. Can't say the last time I had a doughnut that tasted so fresh and flakey. My fiancé's elephant ears are the best I have ever had.

The decor of the bakery looks to be unchanged as when they opened sometime in the 1950s. I would say that they also make their baked good the same way and that is why they are still in business. If you are passing through Wakefield, I highly recommend a stop for a quick bite or to pick up baked goods.

• Visited July 2013