“Great time”

Indianhead Mountain - Big Snow Resort
Indianhead Mountain - Big Snow Resort
Reviewed February 20, 2012

I come up here a couple times a year. Always a great time. The hill has a good variety of runs and the bars/resturants.

• Stayed: February 2012

Reviewed January 30, 2012

I'll note up front that our ski experience was vastly different than our lodging experience; so, don't let the review of the lodging dissuade you from skiing here. We traveled to the resort for a weekend trip in mid-January. As we had our two dogs with us, we were lodged in a building across from the main lodge (the "Chamonix"). The room was cramped, wildly outdated (think early 80's college dorm), and dirty. The beds were the thinnest, noisiest, and worst condition I've ever slept on. I actually ended up moving some blankets and a pillow to the floor because I simply couldn't fall asleep as I rolled to the middle and tried to climb my way out over and over again. Additionally, it sounded as if we'd been housed in a frat house on initiation night. The walls were paper thin, and several of the rooms below us (and around us?) had been rented to some kids having an obnoxious party that included slamming into the doors and walls over and over again, along with screaming. Finally, after several failed calls to the front desk, the resort security told them to calm down or move their party elsewhere. They did--outside. So, we got to hear the same party just outside the windows. That was only when they weren't drowned out by the drone of snowmobiles driving by or idling under the windows.
Inside the lodge, it doesn't appear as if it's seen an update since the early 80's as well. The restaurant food is about the same as a Denny's and the pool area is rather grungy. I was appalled that our rate was $170 a NIGHT for such a crappy experience and when I mentioned the issues to the front desk, they were unphased. I absolutely would not recommend anyone stay at this resort. If visiting to ski for the day or weekend, you're bound to find better lodging pretty much anywhere else.

Room Tip: Do not stay here at all.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank cjcolorado12
Reviewed January 7, 2012

We stayed in 2324, Navajo I – 2 Bedroom Village Chalet. The kitchen and living room are clean and comfortable. The bedroom with bunk beds is too small and the bunk beds are really uncomfortable, but kids could sleep there fine. For that price it was a decent accomodation for three nights.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Irishka60645
Reviewed January 1, 2012

Didn't really expect too much coming up here. I know where we were. We were in the Northwoods, in the UP with old-fashioned values and accommodations. I've been up here dozens of times camping. I know I'm not in downtown Chicago or Vegas or something. Even with that being said our room was like a 1980s Motel 6, with a 13 inch TV, bouncy beds, paper-thin walls, and rattling heaters. We stayed in the Zermatt building adjacent to the main lodge. There are three of these buildings near the main lodge and my advice would be to NOT stay in any of them unless you're four college buddies with a 24 pack of Pabst a bottle of birthday cake vodka and you can sleep anywhere. To be fair, bathroom was clean and showers were hot and they had clean towels and toiletries outside our room in the morning even though we had a 'do not disturb' sign out.

The main lodge was decent, rustic with a nice fireplace, a good sized swimming pool and hot tub, sauna and fitness room. We heard from other guests that the rooms in the main lodge were okay. We went right after Christmas so everything was very booked. Ate at the Saloon too and the food was um, uh, edible after a long day of driving. (eat somewhere else)

Bottom line? If you can't stay in the main lodge, stay somewhere else, down on Highway 2 or in Ironwood. Any place has to be better than those 3 buildings.

The advantage of course is that you are right at Indianhead skiing with a shuttle or short walk to the slopes. Still, there's plenty of parking and way better places to stay not too far away. Very disappointed in our lodging.

Room Tip: If you want to stay at the slopes, stay in the main lodge.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank foolonthehill58
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wakefield
AmericInn Ironwood
AmericInn Ironwood
#1 of 11 in Ironwood
Budget Host Cloverland Motel
9 mi away
Indianhead Motel
Indianhead Motel
#4 of 11 in Ironwood

Been to Indianhead Mountain - Big Snow Resort? Share your experiences!