Redwing Bar and Dining
Cuisines: European, British, Bar, Grill
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed December 13, 2013

Lympstone's a fair sized village, and apparently has 4 pubs that do food. We followed the recommendation of a friend who lives locally and got a table at the Redwing.

The service was excellent, as was the food. Imaginative menu, and utterly delicious.

It wasn't particularly pricey either. All in all there was nothing not to like.

Reviewed December 5, 2013

10 members of our family ate at the redwing last night had a thoroughly enjoyable evening food was lovely and the atmosphere was buzzing but relaxed.
It was lovely to meet James again he's an excellent host! Tried to book for this Sunday lunch but no good, fully booked with waiting list so I think it speaks for itself
We'll done James and all the staff

Reviewed December 3, 2013 via mobile

Am not from the area but regularly stay with friends in Exmouth and always book up somewhere for a special night when a baby sitter can be sourced. My friends booked the place up and told me it was number 1 in Lympstone, albeit it is the only listing!

Well we were all rather ravenous and therefore were eagerly looking forward to some quality food. Well we were not disappointed!!!!

The food was absolutely delightful!

We had olives, bread and balsamic to commence proceedings accompanied by a very nice reaaonably priced bottle of red.

For starter we shared the fish platter, then we both had sea bass cooked in a wholegrain mustardy sauce with capers and tomatoes, on diced sautéed potatoes. For desert baked alaska with honeycomb!! Well this was wonderful!!! It had the flavouring of bakewell tart and really impressed us both.

The decor in the ground floor extended part of the restaurant was fantastic, really put together well.

The bar was busy on arrival and I personally would not have wanted to have been seated near there, but as we weren't it wasn't an issue.

Only criticism if you can label it as such was they needed an additional bar server as took a while to be served as only one guy solely behind there. Also wasn't keen on being asked for our menu choice whilst stood at the bar. Apparently my friends say this is the new in thing, but for me I personally prefer making the decisions whilst seated at the table.

The cost was also very very reasonable considering the amount of food eaten and two bottles of wine shared!!

To conclude even if there were other restaurants I still think you would be number 1! Highly recommended and will definitely return again!!

1  Thank Brockers563
Reviewed November 13, 2013

On arrival we found the interior decor excellent, seating arrangements very comfortable, and staff very polite.
We all had starters which were very nice.
Two of us had lemon sole for the main dish, and the third person had belly pork. All the meals were beautifully presented, and all were delicious.
I would recommend the Redwing for anyone going out for a special evening.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

Had dinner here recently, it was a Thursday night.
Easy to find with quite a few parking spaces.
Was greeted by a friendly bar staff and shown to our pre-booked seats.

Had the scallops for starters and the Duck for the main course.
Had some bread with olive oil as we waited for our food.

Food arrived promptly.
The scallops looked great and tasted good, like how the flavors complimented the whole dish.
The main course of Roasted Duck with Fondant Potato, Celeriac Puree, Pak Choi, Blackberry sauce. The duck was cooked as I requested but didn't really like the flavors of the dish. The fondant potato also had an odd taste, almost like it was reheated but I am sure it wasn't.

My company was great and just as we were about to order dessert, a group of 16 arrived but they just added to the atmosphere.
We didn't have desert in the end.

So all in all, didn't think the main was anything special.
But definitely good atmosphere and great staff.
The staff is an asset to this place.

Will return.