“good but.....”

Courtyard Detroit Utica
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Utica
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Booked for us by family. Is under construction and a bit torn up, but...the beds were GREAT, loved the waitstaff at breakfast. Food was good but ISN"T included in the room. Room large, roomy and shower was wonderful. Will definitely stay there again if ever back in town. Hot tub was like a lobster pot for people. Enjoyed sitting out on patio and spending time with fam. Nice furtniture.

Room Tip: I'd wait till done renovated.....
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Tara92

Reviewed May 3, 2012

Third time I've been here. If you are travelling for business, it has a crappy business area in the middle of the lobby. No privacy and limited printing options. You can't scan anything in at the hotel and according to the staff, they can't scan a paper either.
The rooms are tidy but not clean. I got an in-room refrigerator and would have been better off sleeping next to a jet engine.
You can't beat the location, tons of shopping, restaraunts and office stores. If you just need a place to flop with low expectations, this works. I would give it another whirl after the renovation. The location is super quiet, virtually zero road noise.

Room Tip: Get a balcony room, otherwise you will feel like you are in a cave
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank 2tired2choose
Reviewed December 5, 2011

We checked in here (stupidly) from the Staybridge next door because we were on the first floor with what sounded like acrobats jumping off their parents beds over our heads and they refused to move us to an upper floor. Here, we were put on the 3rd floor in the middle of a boys hockey team. That wouldn't be so bad on its own, but they were using the hallway as a play space complete with nerf guns and super soakers (at 9 am Saturday morning). When my husband went to complain to the general manager about a broken glass in our room and the hockey coach was yelling about his "little darlings" being yelled at by a security guard for disturbing the other guests. I guess because they'd taken over the majority of the hotel rooms, he felt they deserved to take over the hotel in its entirety. The bathroom fixtures were moldy and disgusting and then they just put caulk over it and the mold grew through it. The shower curtain looks like someone was hanging from it in the middle and so by the end of your shower, the curtain has moved about 3" from both ends and there are puddles on the floor at both ends of the tub. The grab bar in the shower fell off when we dared to touch it and the shower drain was so slow that by the end of the shower, you're standing in 2" of dirty water. I have not been able to find ONE good thing to say other than we're checking out this morning and will never stay here again! No breakfast included in our stay. While hotel is in need of major overhaul, including staff.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank PAn8iv
Reviewed September 12, 2011

You pretty much know what you're getting with the Courtyard brand...clean, comfortable, quiet rooms that are reasonably priced. This location has all the standard Courtyard amenities and is located in an area that offers a variety of good restaurant choices. The staff was very friendly and helpful...I'd definitely go back again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 1, 2011

This is a solid hotel, clean, nice staff. Nothing extroidinary stands out, but no complaints either. If you don't want to have to think about where you are staying ... this is the place. It's a great area, lots to do within a mile. Shopping - great food etc., It was my second time to the area and I chose the Courtyard for those reasons. I definately recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Anytime I travel to Detroit area for business, I stay at the Courtyard Marriott in Utica. I have stayed there over 10 times in the last 3 years. This is not the newest hotel in the area. However, it is very clean, very hospitable, and the staff are amazing. Pat, Kathy, and JoAnn are among them. (yes, i do remember their names, just shows you how often I have been there). It is like going to visit the relatives at this point.
All staff are very nice, and it seems like they work well together as a team as well. JoAnn is a lady who serves breakfast in the morning. The Chef in the back does an excellent job for providing fresh food. The variety is very good. If you are health nut like myself, you will find an amazing selection of fresh oatmeal, whole grains, fruits, and yogurt available. Oh, and don't forget the eggs. JoAnn goes above and beyond anybody's expectation. While on business travel, people tend to keep to themselves and eat alone at the table. JoAnn always greets you with a smile and chit chats with everyone, making sure that all feel welcomed and taken care of. The rooms are not brand new, but this hotel staff does an excellent job keeping it clean and maintained. There are plenty of choices to eat out in the area. I suggest going to the Lebanese Grill down the road. Huge portions of excellent fresh food. Do not go to Osaka Japanese Grill house. Very bad food. I got a food poisoning there. The ginger that is served with sushi was of an unidentifiable color. Not a pretty fresh pink pickled ginger should have. I also came to conclusion that people in Detroit really don't know good food. And there are very few good restaurants out there as well.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed March 24, 2011

When I checked in late (1am). The clerk Kurt was outstanding. It's nice to receive great customer service and my room was clean. I would stay here again. I hope courtyard acknowledges Kurt for his great job.

• Stayed: March 2011
1  Thank Karen H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Utica
Hyatt Place Detroit / Utica
Comfort Inn Utica
Comfort Inn Utica
#4 of 7 in Utica
La Quinta Inn & Suites Detroit Utica
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Detroit-Utica
Staybridge Suites Detroit-Utica
Hampton Inn Detroit / Utica - Shelby Township

Been to Courtyard Detroit Utica? Share your experiences!