“Business travel”

Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Utica
Pewaukee, Wisconsin
“Business travel”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Spent 4 days here while traveling for work. After first night I mentioned to the front desk staff that the handle to adjust the water in the shower was loose and that there was mold on the ceiling, it was not taken care of throughout my stay.

A few inches of snow fell durning my stay and the entryways were not kept clear of snow. Clearly the front desk crew is not responsible for this. Additionally when I left in the morning (7:40am - not terribly early) the parking lot had not been plowed. I did notice that the surrounding hotels had been.

Breakfast service was excellent, the area was kept clean and the gal working was truly passionate about her job. She even made a point to stop at each table and ask how breakfast was - nice touch.

The workout area was really NICE. The equipment was brand new with the ability to plug in your iPod and control it on the equipment. There were 2 treadmills, one elliptical and one recumbent bike. Downside - no water in fitness room.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Mark S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Detroit-Utica, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Good afternoon, Aimee C

My name is Mark. I am the new Front Office Manager at the Holiday Inn Express. Thank you for taking the time to complete our online review about your recent stay. I want to personally apologize for the fact that you had such a poor experience at our hotel. I am appalled to hear of the conditions that you found your room in, and that the staff did not address your issues in a timely fashion. All of our staff has been extensively trained to provide guests with the highest level of service, and the fact that this was not provided to you is disappointing. I assure you this is a matter we take very seriously here, and the proper disciplinary and corrective actions will be taken to avoid future occurrences. We are glad to hear that our breakfast attendant was a positive experience. We like to show our staff the great feedback. We also are delighted to hear that you enjoyed our workout area. We value your feedback and your business. We hope you will visit our hotel again in the future. If you have any other questions, please feel free to let me know. Have a great day!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Romeo, Michigan
Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

Front desk was helpful, courteous and kind. The room was clean, but some maintenance on tile was needed. The show stealer though was the breakfast service. Ann was helpful and kind and very accommodating even though it was close to the end of breakfast service. I like the consistency of Holiday Inn Express, but Ann has raised an already high bar. The friendliness, service and quality are a shining star for the establishment even the entire chain. Great job!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
We are very happy that you had such a positive experience with our Breakfast Attendant Ann. We like to hear that our staff is going above and beyond to provide the best customer service possible. We will show Ann the great feedback. We hope to see you again in the future!
Willow Grove, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 6, 2013

I arrived on a tuesday night. Front desk was very helpful about the local area regarding shopping and food. My room was on the 4th floor (top) and seemed like i always had to wait for the elevator. I usually used the stairs because. Stairway fire doors were all open and the floor was carpeted. After unpacking, i went looking for vending machines. The snack machines had a very poor selection and were out of date. Same thing with the soda machines. Most vending machines allow for the use of a credit card. Not these. I ended up buying snacks at the local target. My room was large, clean, and had a small kitchenette. I left a note to housekeeping that all i needed was clean towels. I didnt need my whole room cleaned everyday. That lasted about 2 days probably due to a shift change or different people cleaning my room. My shower had very low water pressure and the shower hand wand was leaking. Towels were far away from the shower. The one morning as i was grabbing some breakfast, the attendant asked if i needed a tray and handed me one! My stay was uneventful until the end. My in room coffee wasnt refilled so i had to go downstairs. Some towels werent replaced in the bathroom. Went to use the business center to print out bording pass and check luggage and the internet was down. Overall a pleasant experience and the hotel is in a great location

Room Tip: entire hotel is non smoking. Try to get a room on ground level or lower floors due to long wait for...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Latisha H, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Detroit-Utica, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Thank you for taking time to write a review about your most recent stay with us. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and a great tool to help us improve on our services. I do apologize for any inconvenience that occurred during your stay. We have taken steps to ensure that those issues do not happen in the future. We do hope that you will continue to stay with us in the future!
Sumter, South Carolina
Reviewed October 28, 2013

have stayed here the last couple of times to michigan.it is convienient located to main roads that make it easy to get back and forth.close to eating places,shopping and fuel.could use updates.i would rate this very well to stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Latisha H, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Detroit-Utica, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Thank you for taking time to post a review about your stay!
Your continued loyalty to our property is greatly appreciated. We do hope that you will continue to stay with us on all your future visits.
Commerce Township, Michigan
Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

Stayed a couple of days, as I worked night shift.
Extremely helpful and friendly staff.
I was able to sleep until noon without being bothered, and no noticeable noise.
Highly recommended for any traveler.
Plenty of shopping and many restaurants nearby.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Latisha H, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Detroit-Utica, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Thank you so much for writing a review about your past stay and for recommending us!

We understand that working the night shift can be difficult, it's great to hear that you could get the sleep that you needed. We hope that you will choose us again for your accommodation needs the next time you are in the area.
Frankfort, Michigan
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We stated at the Holiday Inn for two nights because we were attending a wedding in the area and this was the hotel that was suggested to all the guests. It is not a bad place to stay but the rooms, although clean, were in need of refurbishment. The one chair and ottoman needed cleaning and the lighting was not adequate. We thought that the complimentary breakfast was not bad and the woman that took care of it was very attentive and kept the room tidy. The pool and the work out room were fine. It is just not a special place so, if you are looking for special, look further.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank You for taking time to post a review about our property. I apologize that our hotel did not provide you with the "wow" factor that you were looking for. In 2014 our property will actually be going through some renovations to give us a more up to date look. We do hope that you will return in the in the future and check out the changes! : )
Kalamazoo MI
Reviewed October 4, 2013

I spent 2 night at this property and I was very please with my stay. The staff at the front desk was very helpful in reccomending restaurants and things to do in the area. Check in was also very easy and my room was very clean and roomy. The property is located on a main strip so there is plenty to do. A Dave and Busters is right behind the hotel.
Check out was also good. Overall a great experience

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Latisha H, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Detroit-Utica, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review! We appreciate the feedback from our guests, it really serves as positive motivation for our employees. I am pleased to hear that your stay with us was enjoyable. I do hope that you will stay with us again the next time you are in the area.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Utica
Hyatt Place Detroit / Utica
La Quinta Inn & Suites Detroit Utica
Staybridge Suites Detroit-Utica
Comfort Inn Utica
Comfort Inn Utica
#3 of 7 in Utica
Hampton Inn Detroit / Utica - Shelby Township
Courtyard Detroit Utica

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Detroit-Utica? Share your experiences!