“Great location, clean, comfortable bed”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Detroit Utica
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Utica
Reviewed July 22, 2014

If you are travelling in the Utica, MI area, and need a home base with a great location, a comfortable bed, and a great shower, this is the place for you. That's what we were looking for when we came to the area for a weekend with family. We got exactly what we needed. The only issue was the "hot" breakfast. It consisted of toaster waffles and french toast. There are two places, including a McDonalds, that you can easily walk to, so skip the breakfast. Otherwise, I recommend this place as a spot to lay your weary bones.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

A TripAdvisor Member
Macomb, Michigan
Reviewed July 20, 2014

If your looking for white glove five star, keep looking. Be prepared to help yourself. We had a two-week stay there because our new home wasn't available. We had to ask multiple times for ample amount of towels for family of four.

We stayed there for four days without any housekeeping services. This hotel is great for one or two days but not for vacation destination. Attention to detail is not exercised here and they do not custom fit or Taylor your stay

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
Sturgis, Michigan
Reviewed July 19, 2014

Convenient location, friendly staff, pretty and clean motel ;my dear puppy was welcome and free! We will be returning! Thanks so much! ( it's crazy that I have to use at least 200 characters. I've sId everything that I wish to say. I hope that this is long enough.)

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed June 27, 2014

this property was CLEAN and staff- FRIENDLY. We and our dog Taffy were treated GREAT. The breakfast was Continental but the choices of breakfast tiems was good. You got to make your own waffles instead of them already made. It was kept full at all times. Coffee was available all day. It was easy to access and get to the freeway and our destination. We are Roller skating Coaches that travel with our dog and alot of places charge a big fat fee for pets. We are glad LaQuinta does not charge for a pet and goes out of their way to put us on the 1sf floor .

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed June 25, 2014

This definitely is a good place to stay, if you are going to a dog show. Of course, all dog show people should observe the clean-up rules in order for the hotel to want us back. I do not allow my dogs to run the room, so accidents were not about to happen. Even though my dogs are house dogs first and show dogs second, I believe in being courteous to the host. The breakfast had items, that we could eat and go. Of course like most LaQuinta hotels, the rooms are very quiet.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed June 18, 2014

We booked this Hotel as our "Home away from Home" during our move so we could be comfortable in the evenings and step away from the stress of moving.

I chose it based on the location and it's reviews here. I expected great things based on all the tripadvisor reviews, and I have to say, I'm very disappointed.

We reserved a room with a whirlpool via the website. We checked in around 1:30 AM and the night clerk was friendly, efficient and a bright point in this stay. We were exhausted and went to bed immediately. If we had only stayed that one night my review would be different.

Breakfast is a little sad. The offerings just aren't there. Boiled eggs, frozen waffles, packaged muffins. They did have coffee though, so we grabbed some and headed out to continue packing out the house.

That evening we returned and the room was freezing, the AC has two settings, "Brrrr" and "whew, is it warm in here to you?"

The whirlpool (after filling it and emptying several times to remove the body hair that did not belong to us) is a joke. The pressure of the jets is not even enough to disturb the surface of the water...it is essentially a giant bathtub sitting in the middle of your room.....not worth the extra $30.00 a night.

I mentioned to my housekeeper that it wasn't working correctly, she offered to "Send someone to show me how to work it." Someone did come and pronounced it working perfectly, that all the whirlpools in the rooms work about the same.

The final blow came at about midnight last night when my husband went to get ice and his key stopped working. He went by the front desk and had the nerve to interrupt whatever game the clerk was playing in the backroom (He could hear it and she was deeply annoyed at being pulled away). He asked her for a new key, she pulled up our room on the computer then told him no. That his name was not on the room so she could not give him a key. Instead of asking for his ID, calling the room and getting verification or any of the handful of other customer service options at her disposal to make the customer happy.....she walked back around the corner and went back to her game. Which is exactly where I found her when I went down to rectify the key situation. I asked her to please have the Manager call me in the morning....She said she would, that the manager would call at 9......guess what....no call

Last but not least, the hotel is very proud of their new flat panel TV's that let guests easily connect electronics. This is true, but once you get them connected don't expect to use them....we tried a roku and an Xbox and neither was able to access the network to stream.

Room Tip: Avoid the whirlpool rooms.