“Nice hotel...close to shopping”

Hyatt Place Detroit / Utica
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Utica
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Nice hotel...the pool was warm and the kids had fun. Renovations taking place, so noisey during the day, but quiet at night. Staff was friendly and there was a lot of choice for breakfast. Fridge in the room was a nice touch.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Pilar F, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place Detroit / Utica, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2013

Thank you for your positive review of our Hyatt Place!
Our staff does work very hard to ensure that you have a wonderful stay with us. They are what really set us apart. One of the stand out features of our room is the plug panel. It makes it easy to connect your devices like a DVD player or laptop to the TV in the room. We hope you had a great time with your family and once again, thank you for staying with us. We hope to see you next time you visit the metro Detroit area.

There are newer reviews for Hyatt Place Detroit / Utica

Reviewed December 30, 2012

Overview:
This was my first trip to this location however I have had the opportunity to stay in other Hyatt Place locations. If you are traveling to this area, I highly recommend using this hotel. This review will cover every detail from check in to check out.

Location:
Great location! This hotel is located in a centralized area close to restaurants, entertainment and other hotels. This particular trip was a family trip and Dave & Busters (large video game and entertainment center) is literally directly across the parking lot. In addition, a sports bar/restaurant is located across the street. Very convenient.

Check-In:
Check in process went very smooth. Friendly service and great atmosphere. Having stayed at this chain before.. I see a very good trend. Hyatt is very consistent in its hotel styling with this version of Hyatt (i.e. Hyatt Place) so if you are planning on staying here you can be pretty much assured of the quality.

Room Description:
Fantastic room. Has more of a 'suite' feel to it. Typical Hyatt Place layout. Very spacious. Two sections to the room: 1) Living room/Workstation/Bar Area - with separate bar sink and refrigerator and 2) Bedroom Area - with sinks and bathrooms. As commented from others they are working on upgrading their bathroom however don't let this scare you, the bathroom area is more than adequate already. One minor problem is that their closets are a little small for the room size.

Hotel Campus Overview:
Fantastic FREE breakfast. Great service and friendly atmosphere by all staff that I have observed. Seems to have great management. **Recommendation for Hotel** - would like to see an ATM in the building. I had to go over to the restaurant next door to use their ATM.

Internet Access:
Free WiFi in rooms... great touch... all hotels need to copy this.

Food Service:
Above average food service for this style of hotel. Has a full bar available as well as specialty coffee drinks. The food is - microwave style and desserts are available however they are more the nicer food variety of microwaved food i.e. bistro sandwiches etc... I believe they do have a larger menu but I just grabbed something quick. Either way its not an issue as there are plenty of restaurants within walking distance.

Weight Room:
Small weight room with 4 machines - 2 treadmills, 1 elliptical and 1 stationary bike. More than adequate for the hotel rooms and there was no one using them.

Pool Area:
Small pool area - indoors and clean. I did not use the pool however I did observe the pool. Great for families.

In Conclusion:
As compared to the other hotels in the area I would highly encourage anyone to stay at this hotel. Fantastic service, great location, comfortable rooms and free Wifi and parking all lead to a great stay. Highly Recommend!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Pilar F, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place Detroit / Utica, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Reviewed December 28, 2012

The overall hotel was nice and convenient to get into and out of (which is important at this busy corner). I do question however the need for a $25 per night deposit on 'incidentals'.If I was to do any damage to the room, it would certainly be more than $25 worth. There was no minibar in the room and the area to buy food is right by the desk, so certainly a customer could be charged at that time.
The phone system was really screwed up, I couldn't place a call to a residence just across the expressway from my room, no matter which way I tried, I ended up having to use my cell phone and placing a long distance call. I could however call another number across town from the room, explain that to me.
I was in one of the 'remodeled rooms, and although the bathroom was nice, I could only get either hot or cold water from the shower, no mixing.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 20, 2012

This location is renovating their bathrooms but are doing it in a professional manner. They have changed their breakfast offerings but have also raised their room rates and the trade off is not worth it. The Hyatt is still a nice location and the staff is usually very friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for a room down the hallway away from the elevators.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank ToeKneeD
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Great place to stay. Clean spacious rooms. Continental breakfast is excellent. Best ever. We were here for A shopping trip so hotel is centrslly licated. Had room with king size bed and seating area.
Would highly recommend.

• Stayed: November 2012

Reviewed October 4, 2012

I was there for business and the stay was great. I was working long hours 12 hours a day seven days a week and it was nice to back to the hotel and take a shower and it the bed there. The air was fine and the bed was great. I am going to fine who made the mattress and but one of the same type.

Room Tip: Room 419 was great and no noise for 66 days
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Pilar F, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place Detroit / Utica, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Thank you for your positive review of our Hyatt Place!
Our staff does work very hard to ensure that you have a wonderful stay with us. They are what really set us apart. again thank you for staying with us. We hope to see you next time you visit the metro Detroit area.

Reviewed September 14, 2012

We had already booked a Hyatt Place in Alpharetta, GA and it looked so nice, we decided to do the same in Utica. Needed a hotel close to m mother-in-laws senior residence. This was perfect. We already knew the hotel would be great with clean rooms, all amenities, breakfast, nice decor, and the location was perfect. We had already decided to take her to dinner at a Carrabba's as we had coupons, and a gift card. That was within 1 mile so everything worked out just great. Hyatt Place is going to be my hotel choice when possible.

Room Tip: Make reservations early as they seem to fill up fast.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Utica
La Quinta Inn & Suites Detroit Utica
Comfort Inn Utica
Comfort Inn Utica
#3 of 7 in Utica
Staybridge Suites Detroit-Utica
Hampton Inn Detroit / Utica - Shelby Township
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Detroit-Utica
Courtyard Detroit Utica

Been to Hyatt Place Detroit / Utica? Share your experiences!