“A great place to go in a storm”

Staybridge Suites Detroit-Utica
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Utica
Reviewed January 15, 2014 via mobile

During the ice storm and subsequent power outage we needed a place to stay while visiting family for Christmas. I contacted the hotel made the reservation and arrived within an hour with my family including an 8 month old. The hotel staff was very friendly and accommodating. The two bedroom suite was clean and comfortable just what I have come to expect from IHG hotels. I would definitely stay here again

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
StaybridgeSuites85, Director of Sales at Staybridge Suites Detroit-Utica, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

Richard C -

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your positive feed back. I read the reviews to our staff at lunch and they will appreciate being described as "friendly and accommodating".

Please let me know if I can be of assistance with your future hotel needs.

There are newer reviews for Staybridge Suites Detroit-Utica

Reviewed December 15, 2013

I found the daytime front desk staff to be quite lovely. Here's my honest review from my stay on Friday, December 13, 2013.

PROS:

- Front desk staff in the daytime was amazing. Super friendly and welcoming to tired traveler.
- Lobby area was spotless and clean.
- The room upgrade for a Platinum member was very much appreciated.
- The hallways were clean, and so was the room.
- I really loved my stay here.

SUGGESTIONS FOR IMPROVEMENT:

- The night staff person was okay, but was not overly friendly.
- The elevator seems clunky, old, and out of place for a hotel that has obviously put money into making everything else seem so modern and well taken care of.
- Digital thermostats would be a welcome update.

OVERALL IMPRESSION:

- A lovely place for an extended stay.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 27, 2013

My family & I drove to the hotel from Illinois because my son had a business meeting to attend in Macomb, a few miles away from Utica. When I asked for an upgrade at check-in, the clerk was gracious enough to give us a 2-bedroom suite. Later that evening, we were invited to the dining area for the manager's evening reception. The food was delicious - chicken parmigiana with mixed vegetables, freshly cooked. The hotel sits in an area with other hotels & is walking distance to a large shopping center. Overall, we had an excellent experience & plan to return there again in the near future.

Room Tip: When extra space is desired, request an upgrade to a 1 or 2 bedroom suite ahead of time when making...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Richard P
StaybridgeSuites85, Director of Sales at Staybridge Suites Detroit-Utica, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2013

RichardP -

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor! I am so happy that you had an excellent experience at our hotel.

We are always happy to extend an upgrade if we have a larger suite available. The complimentary dinner is available on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday at our Evening Social.

I will read your review to our staff at our next employee luncheon. Please let me know if I can be of assistance with your future hotel needs.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

I have stayed at Staybridge Suites before and this one is no different. Solid place to stay, with plenty of room. All the comforts of home in a safe and clean setting. Front desk was helpful on dining options on the days they don't offer an evening meal. Just a great place to stay!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
StaybridgeSuites85, Director of Sales at Staybridge Suites Detroit-Utica, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Dennis M -

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor. It is wonderful to be described as a spacious, clean, and comfortable hotel. We are surrounded by delightful dinning and shopping options. The front desk is always happy to provide recommendations, coupons, and directions to any of our local hot spots.

Please contact me if I can be of assistance if in the future.

Paula Potter, Director of Sales Staybridge Suites Utica

Reviewed October 25, 2013

We searched high and wide to find this gem. It was by far the best value for us. We have a small dog and needed a place to stay for over a month. Many would not accept dogs, so that elimated half or more of the choices. Some had a nightly pet fee which cost more than boarding the dog. Staybridge has a one time charge whether one night or months. Fair enough, they do a deep cleaning when you leave so that justifies the cost. The staff is extremely friendly and seem to have a genuine concern to help your individual needs to make your stay as comfortable as possible. They specialize in insurance cases where family needs a place to stay while their home is being reaired or remodeled etc. The breakfast meal is included, a buffett every morning the same but lots of choices. The hotel is near the freeway but the windows block most of the noise. There is a large field next to the hotel of open grass to play with kids or animals. You are expected to do your own clean up, and most guest complied. The pool is good size with a hot tub. They have a free laundry where you can wash and dry clothes with your own detergent. Paula was kind enough to give us a storage closet for our luggage so we didn't have to use the space in the suite. There was some interuption with the cable a few nights but I guess that was Comcast fault not the hotels. The staff were all friendly and helpful. I would recommend this to all. They have a nice business area with free c omputer and printing available. We earned enough points to stay a free night on our return to Az along the way.

Room Tip: We liked the first floor because of walking the dog. The east side is farther from the freeway.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 1, 2013

I'm a business traveler with only myself and a small carry on sized suitcase. The rooms are nice. My room looked like the one in picture 26 of the traveler photos. I had the king sized bed option. The room was clean with a ton of space. The HD cable works really well. Internet was fast and easy to login. The dishes were all clean. Refrigerator was clean. Bathroom was clean. Toilet was clean. Bedding was fresh and clean. The bed was too stiff for my liking, but it was still comfortable. There is a selection of pillows to choose from on the bed (stiff to soft). The breakfast was decent with a choice of 2 fruits, cereals, milk, multiple juices, and the hot bar with eggs and a meat (sausage one day, bacon the other). The dinners left one lacking, the food was usually tasteless and poorly cooked. But it is free. Get to the breakfast/dinner early though, the dinning room is extremely small for the amount of people that will be there (aka not enough seating).

Luckily, the hotel is in a great location. If you map it, you'll see all the restaurants and stores nearby. If you are a games fan, the Dave and Busters is literally next door, you can walk there. Multiple decent restaurants, Target, Best Buy, Dick's Sporting goods, and a Home Depot (if you need to work on your hotel room for some reason, I'm not judging). I did not use the pool, gym, or hot tub. If you are a runner, there is the start of a trail that people use for walking that will get you over a an area with sidewalks. About 1.5 miles one way before you hit a major street that will turn you around.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed at the Staybridge Suites Detroit-Utica July 2013. We came to town for a class reunion and stayed for 3 nights. From my initial call until we checked out, the staff were polite & accommodating. The complimentary breakfast was great, I had a strawberry Belgium waffle : ) Our room was spacious with a pull out sofa sleeper and kitchenette. A nice outdoor pool and hot tub. The hotel is close to restaurants and shopping Thank you to manager Paula, front desk attendant Sierra & the rest of your staff. Will definitely return :)

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
StaybridgeSuites85, Director of Sales at Staybridge Suites Detroit-Utica, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

JustMePfromMi-

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor. I just shared your positive review with our staff during their lunch break. We appreciate being described as a nice, clean facility with an awesome staff. Thank you for brightening our day!

Please let me know if I can be of assistance with your future hotel needs.

Staybridge Suites Utica

Also consider these accommodations in or near Utica
La Quinta Inn & Suites Detroit Utica
Hyatt Place Detroit / Utica
Comfort Inn Utica
Comfort Inn Utica
#3 of 7 in Utica
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Detroit-Utica
Hampton Inn Detroit / Utica - Shelby Township
Courtyard Detroit Utica

Been to Staybridge Suites Detroit-Utica? Share your experiences!