“Great stay for a shopping adventure with the girls!!”

Staybridge Suites Detroit-Utica
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Utica
Reviewed November 17, 2011

Myself & a couple of girlfriends stayed here for 2 nights (November 8-11) do get a just start on our Christmas shopping. The hotel is located very close to tons of great shopping and countless restaurants. It was nice to go back to the room at the end of the day to a suite with a living room and a kitchen with a full size fridge, microwave oven, coffee maker, toaster and disher washer. Not to mention dishes stocked in the cupboards too.

There was 4 of us, so we decided to book 2 separate rooms so that we didn't have to share a bathroom between us, which turned out to be a good idea. The hotel offers free dinner on certain nights of the week as well as breakfast daily.

I would recommend this hotel for business or leisure and if the price is right, I will use this hotel again.

Room Tip: I might try to ask for a room opposite the highway to avoid the noise.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 28, 2011

We had 3 hours between a wedding and the reception and wanted a place to relax in comfortable surroundings. Our king suite included a full kitchen and nice furnishings. Spotless. Very quiet. The breakfast was great. Wish a place like this had been around while doing alot of corporate travel for days at a time - much better than a standard hotel room. They have thought of everything to make your stay comfortable and relaxing.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 9, 2011

We stayed here for the fourth year in a row over the Labor Day holiday weekend and we noticed that the property, while still good, is showing signs of age. It is located in a tourist area where there are four other major hotel chains but the competition apparently has not phased the management. Check-in was a bit confusing as several persons were trying to check in at the same time and the two clerks were not clear with their instructions. We had requested a ground floor room away from the traffic when we made our reservation about three months in advance, but when we called early in the morning on the day of our check in we were told that no ground floor rooms were available. Disappointing. On the plus side, the room was away from the traffic noise. The room itself was OK, the bed comfortable, but the way the room is configured, the lights above the sink shine directly on the head of the bed, not good if you want to sleep a bit later. There were some stains on the carpet and a door on the entertainment center had been pulled off. The A/C worked but blew directly on the sleeping area. We also noticed stains on the carpets in the hallways. The front entry, which had been very nice three years ago now appeared worn with stained and cracked concrete and the lights that originally shone on the ceiling and adjacent plantings were not working. Breakfast was good and well maintained. Apparently there is no maintenance during the holiday weekend as we noticed small things like ashtrays outside the doors were not emptied until Monday. Check out was accomplished with nothing being said as I recall, definitely no "how was everything" or "thank you". Again, disappointing. If we make the trip next year, we will investigate one of the other properties in the area.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a room away from the traffic noise.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 5, 2011

This hotel is great for anyone that is traveling for an extended stay or even just a few days. We stayed in a Queen studio suite which came with it's on full sized kitchen, pull out couch, queen bed, and spacious bathroom area. The hot breakfast in the morning was great with tons of selection and fresh food items daily. The breakfast lady is on the spot! She is constantly watching and replenishing. Coffee and tea station is well stocked through out the day as well with many options! We would stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 20, 2011

Used priceline name your price to book this room so my first stay was by luck. Disappointed that it had an outdoor pool since it was febuary! other than that everything was great. Free dinner Tues-Thurs, free breakfast daily, and free gourmet coffee. Oh forgot about free fresh baked cookies!! Rooms big, clean and beds comfy!!!! Staff friendly and great location.
Decided to take chance on priceline again for Tuesday thru Monday trip home and I was SO excited got staybridge again!!! So bid away!!!

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed December 4, 2010

We stayed here for the week of Thanksgiving and I was amazed to find out that the hotel was completely booked since from our room we couldn't hear any outside noise and thought we were just one of a few rooms occupied. What a surprise to see all the people down at b-fast, it really is that quiet. We had a room that was divided into 2 which was nice since we were traveling with teens and there was a tv in each room and pull out couch besides the 2 beds.
The hotel is in a great location especially for holiday shopping, there is not a store that you can think of that isn't located within a couple of miles of the hotel as well as super convenient access to a major freeway. The sales manager, Paula Potter, has amazing energy and is super helpful. We watched as she went around greeting guests at breakfast and giving them tips about the local surroundings and answering one guests questions while helping another one with the tv remote in the lounge area! And if your man doesn't want to go shopping, the fireplace and big screen tv in the main lounge area gives him a great place to hang out. We also loved that Wolfgang Puck coffee was always hot and readily available.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed October 6, 2010

We never had the chance to stay at this hotel. In early July 2010, I reserved 3 two-bed rooms for 3 nights in mid-August. Not only did I get a confirmation number for these rooms, but I also paid for the rooms in advance to avoid any unnecessary holds on my card. About a week prior to my arrival, I received a call from the general manager who informed me that his sales manager oversold the two-bed rooms and asked that I accept 3 one-bed rooms. I work for a hotel as well and I know how these type of things can happen so I agreed - only because a one-bed room could sleep 4 (there were 10 people in my party). Three days prior to my arrival, I was contacted by the sales manager who stated that the hotel was oversold and that she cancelled my reservations. She informed me that my rate simply wasn't high enough for my family to stay there and that I should understand because I work for another hotel. Just to note, my hotel has never cancelled confirmed reservations - we just don't operate that way. So of course, as you can imagine, I was frantically looking for another hotel and had no idea how I was going to pay for it because I had already paid for this hotel and was not anticipating this outcome. Fortunately, we found another hotel in another city at a higher rate because it was last minute and I had to rely on a relative to pay for the rooms until I got my deposit back - eight days later. Needless to say, I will never attempt to use this hotel again nor will I ever suggest it to anyone else. All I can say is be careful - if you have a confirmed reservation and your aren't paying "Top dollar", you may find yoruself in a bind like I did.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank AnnOakley
Management response:Responded October 12, 2010

Thank you for reading the Tripadvisor reviews. Your business is very important to us. It is important to qualify that the employee who wrote this review did not follow company policy to secure her reservations. A maximum of two rooms may be booked per hotel visit for use by the employee. The employee rate applies to our studio suite and is not available for the two bedroom/two bathroom suite the employee reserved. Employee rates are a privledge not to be misused. We contacted the employee and asked for her assistance because we accommodating disaster vicitims that had no other housing available. Vacation plans are very important to all employees so we located a hotel in the area with guest rooms available at the employee rate. The employee choose not to change her reservations to this new hotel. The reviewer did not put the interest of the disaster victims or the Staybridge Suite Brand first.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Utica
Hyatt Place Detroit / Utica
La Quinta Inn & Suites Detroit Utica
Comfort Inn Utica
Comfort Inn Utica
#4 of 7 in Utica
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Detroit-Utica
TownePlace Suites Detroit Sterling Heights
TownePlace Suites Detroit Sterli...
#4 of 7 in Sterling Heights
Hampton Inn Detroit / Utica - Shelby Township

Been to Staybridge Suites Detroit-Utica? Share your experiences!