“Good food but it is a Tavern”
Review of Red Ox Tavern

Red Ox Tavern
Ranked #6 of 50 Restaurants in Utica
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 29, 2014

The Red Ox has pretty good food, but it is a bit noisy. I guess that is what you get when you eat at a tavern. I have eaten dinner there twice this week when on business to Utica. The New York strip was very nicely cooked and tasty. I also had the Lake Perch, they were ok but the fillets were smaller than I am used to and I found a few bones. Not bad but just not what I expected. The prices were $14 to $28 for diners and well within the local range. The vegetable soup was a nice surprise with great beef flavor. One great thing about dinner at a tavern was the beer. They have a long list of beers on tap including some of my favorites. Oh yes I will be back the next time I am in Utica.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

Great proximity to our hotel - one minute walk. Nice place to relax after shopping all day. The drinks were cold and the food was decent pub food. We ended up walking back over later in the evening for drinks and entertainment and ended up having a great time!

Reviewed April 9, 2014

Sat at the bar prior to meeting up with a group but the happy hour prices were so great ate at the bar. half off drinks and appetizers 3-6

Reviewed March 21, 2014

The first time I ate there everything was great, however some sort of trivia game was going on in the bar area. Issue was the sound was so jacked up I heard it out side. Thought it was outside speakers, apparently not! Food was great so the next night I went back, listened and stayed to enjoy a great meal!

Reviewed February 20, 2014

After a day of shopping we wanted some good beer and food and a bit of entertainment close to the hotel. The Red Ox offers all three and just a quick walk across the parking lot. We had appetizers and beer, in between dancing to a DJ along with other friendly patrons. A nice touch was the outdoor fireplace - used mostly by smokers but a nice gathering place for some fresh air. Glad we made this choice.