“Quiet and Relaxing”
Review of Inn at Union Pier

Inn at Union Pier
Ranked #2 of 4 Union Pier B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 29, 2012

We stayed 2 nights mid Sept. I don't know what room had the horrible bed, but we didn't have it. Our room was large, we enjoyed the lounge chairs on the deck for reading, and felt it was very peaceful. Easy walk to the beach without a lot of steps. They had chairs and towels available for the beach. The breakfasts were very good and the service and company was pleasant. I don't know where the cookies came from, but they were yummy. We enjoyed our stay and hope to return for another visit.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 26, 2012

The best first: l)We returned to a place we had really enjoyed 30 years ago (under more sophisticated management) finding it still lovely in many ways with changes that seemed to be improvements. As before it was quiet and peaceful, tastefully laid out and decorated with no TVs anywhere in evidence. 2) We were welcomed; invited to look at available rooms and choose the one we liked best; directed to Timothy's for dinner where a gourmet meal included 10 entrees at $10. 3)The breakfast the 2nd day was complete with eggs and ham, tasty fruit compote, cheery and competent service.
The worst: 1)The first night was sleepless on the same mattress sited in "Horrible Mattress"!!! We rolled together in a trough and had to climb up and over the edge to use the bathroom. When our server at breakfast asked if we were staying another night I told her we'd had a sleepless night on a bad mattress and said I didn't see how we could. We didn't want to change rooms. She was silent, non-comital and looked uncomfortable saying that Bill would work something out when he arrived. When I told him we'd had a difficult night with little sleep, he took a defensive stance (the same one one we later learned he had taken with the other couple) and talked about a $1400, SOFT PILLOW TOP mattress clearly implying that it was an excellent mattress and that my problem was one of ignorance about the difference between high quality and 'broken down'. No apology. I said I didn't think we should pay for a night like this. We had checked out although we wanted to stay another night. As we we were packing to leave one of the staff was cleaning. I told her about the problem which she said was well known. Together we set about finding a mattress from another room, testing it to be sure it would work, and switching them. In the process I discovered the frame pieces were also disconnected which explained the clicking and settling we had experienced. We ended up staying the 2nd night with a $50 discount on each night.( $95 less than what he had offered the others). He talked about how expensive mattress replacement was for him. When I said we spent the night rolled in on each other he joked about that being the goal of a 'romantic' night hee hee wink wink.
2) wobbling handle on the toilet was half connected; 3) windows hard to raise and lower; 4) AC came on the 2nd day tho it was cool at night and nice during the day making our room very chilly; 5)both buildings smelled very strongly of Glade Lavender Air Refresher permeating room and clothes. 6) breakfast the 1st morning was basically white flour and sugar. 7) not their problem, but a long term, municipal sewer issue erupted the 1st evening and sewer gas hung outside our porch door and windows that night til later the next morning when it was patched up. 8) "The games in the living room cabinet are mixed up", he said laughing. Not thinking Scrabble could be very 'mixed up' we played (without checking the pieces) for awhile til we realized our very strange game was the result of double the normal number of vowels:)
Over-all: the 1st night was RIDICULOUS, and the 2nd FINE. At no point did I feel that the owner was sorry for OUR 1st night - only for himself.
For $195 a night? Not us again.

Room Tip: "Lakeview" is quiet with a door to the porch that, while shared, is around a corner from t...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Momohat
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Although most of the amenities were acceptable, the bed was awful. So bad, we decided we wouldn't stay regardless of them offering a refund of the 2nd night. The woman was very gracious, whom we told of the situation; however, the owner did not handle the situation nearly as graciously. He first attempted to make excuses the bed was a $1400.00 bed, then said he could give us our money back if we wanted (uh, yes please, that's what YOUR staff offered in the first place- it took ME 3 times calling and leaving messages to get him to call back), or try another room (no thank you). And then as a side note he said there would be a $30 fee for returning our money- ouch. No thank you. When you offer to refund someone their money, you give it all back, especially in a service oriented industry that relies strongly on word of mouth.

Room Tip: Avoid our room called Lake view
4  Thank nicole w
Reviewed September 5, 2012

My wife and I and another couple stayed at the Inn over the three day Labor Day Holiday.
What a relaxing, restful stay complete with great food, exceptional service and accommodations.
The Kitchen staff are amazing, friendly beyond belief and cooking meals to please.
This is a terrific place to get away and be treated like family by the staff.

What a gem!

Room Tip: Pick a room that is painted brightly, with lots of natural light.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank NickelPlate
Reviewed September 1, 2012

The inn is located just around the corner from the lake. Recent changes make it even nicer. Breakfast was wonderful, they made concessions because I am allergic to milk and eggs.. My wife loves to talk to the friendly staff. They led us to the farmstand for peaches. It is just so relaxing We stayed in room with a view

Room Tip: stay in the main house in the winter and enjoy the fireplaces in each room. Stay in a second floor r...
2  Thank Kaiya K
Reviewed August 20, 2012

My husband and I just stayed at the Inn at Union Pier for the 6th year in a row. We were delighted to find new carpeting and a recent paint job in the Pier House.

As always, our breakfasts were delicious -- a Belgian waffle with muffins and fresh fruit on the first morning, Eggs Benedict with potatoes, muffins and fresh fruit on the second morning.

We made good use of the afternoon cookies and lemonade, but missed the wine and popcorn because we were having too much fun relaxing!

Bill and his staff are always very kind, helpful and welcoming. We'll be back next year without fail!

1  Thank elilip
Reviewed July 23, 2012

My husband and I stayed here as part of a wedding party, and we had a great, comfy stay. We stayed in the Whispering pine room -- it's in an additional part of the property and it was super cold over the weekend that was 100 degrees. We needed the cold AC, and we had a great stay. The room was large, clean and exactly as expected at a b&b. I was a little underwhelmed by the breakfast, but it was fine. They didn't give choices, there is fruit and muffins, with a main course. I guess i hadn't been to a b&b lately and didn't remember what to expect, but I wanted a few choices. We felt very welcome, there was lots of room, and I didn't feel cramped at all, which I typically think I may come across at a b&b.

Room Tip: Ask for the newer part of the property -- I think it's called an annex or something. Not in the...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Boulevard Inn
Boulevard Inn
#3 of 6 in Saint Joseph
Goldberry Woods Bed & Breakfast Cottages

Been to Inn at Union Pier? Share your experiences!