“Fantastic, fresh, additive free food.... If you like soup this is the place!”
Review of Casual Chef Cafe

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Casual Chef Cafe
Ranked #9 of 13 Restaurants in Union Pier
Cuisines: American
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Best soups and sandwiches around. Good prices. I love that they offer half sandwich and soup. You can mix-and-match the offerings. Everyone I have taken there from my young neice to my grandfather found something they enjoyed on the menu. The inside dining area is open, airy, and inviting. The staff is helpful and just attentive enough. If you are in Harbor Country, this is a great option for lunch that will not break the bank. Food choices for both picky eaters and the more adventurous types too. AGAIN... TRY THE SOUP!
AND fresh ice cream to take home with you afterward!

Reviewed August 14, 2012

Sit back and plan to enjoy your meal here. Casual dining at a price that's affordable. I loved the quiche and the atmosphere is typical for a tourist area. There is nothing specific to set this cafe apart from the rest except the location is great and food was filling. I'd stop here again but it would not be a destination location.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

this was our second year staying in union pier, and last year we enjoyed this place (could walk over for gelato, coffee, or breakfast) This year we tried to go twice for breakfast and were turned away both time from a near empty restaurant at breakfast time, because the cook could not handle making breakfast for 5 people (that is what we were told when we decided to try the second time). we were not even offered the coffee and baked goods that were on the counter. no way were we going to go back for the afternoon gelato! In to New Buffalo for Oink's ice cream for us (where big crowds are welcome!!)

Reviewed May 15, 2012

My wife had grilled cheese "to die for" and I had the 1/2 sandwich and mint pea and spinache soup. Mine came with blackberry/raspberry sorbet. They have great varieties of soups and sandwiches. Great value.
We had just come back from a trip to China and found the best dragon teapots (which came from China) at this Union Pier resturant! Great surprises and the red arrow road that it is on parallels the interstate, so you don't really lose any time going there.
Friendly staff!

1  Thank skiNebraska
Reviewed November 29, 2011

Located in the Pumpernickel Inn, it's a very nice place for a casual lunch or dinner and their menu is simply amazing. Six soups or chowders every day and delicious entree's make any meal here a treat. My favorite is the crabcake sandwich which is so tasty you'll wonder if SpongeBob Squarepants himself isn't in the kitchen whipping them up. Be sure and save room for a stop at the gellato bar on the way out -but you may have a hard time making a choice from their large selection. The hours vary in the Fall and Winter so a call ahead to [--] before you venture out would be a good idea.