“A little pricey, but it was actually worth it.”

Frankie's Other Place
Ranked #5 of 13 Restaurants in Union Pier
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: listed on yelp.com
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Great food and atmosphere. The bar side had live music and was a bit loud (even in the dining area) but it didnt bother us at all. Our server was phenomenal. Food came out very quickly and was very good. We enjoyed this place; I am very surprised to see all the poor reviews. I'm not easy to please and I was very satisfied with this place.

2  Thank Kristi S

Reviewed August 31, 2012

Ok, everyone flocks to New Buffalo to indulge. Frankies in Union Pier is a neat restaurant that keeps up with Midwestern cuisine and service. We asked to be seated on the terrace which is nicely fenced in to provide privacy. Didn't have to compete with kids or couples talking loudly in their main dining room. The Tuna Tacos are delicious. Perfect portion. Also tried their kobe burgers which are delicious and reasonably priced. Appetizer was their escargot platter which came hot along with ample bread for "dipping" into the butter sauce. One of our guests had the lobster, which we all were a little surprised at since they have a menu targeting meats. But, on his plate was a large lobster, steamed to exact specifications. All in all, nice restaurant outside of New Buffalo. Locals and tourists alike come year after year and it's a nice tradition.

1  Thank TravelJewels45
Reviewed August 11, 2012

My husband and I stopped in tonight for dinner for the first time. Service was fine, our waiter was very nice. The decor is a bit 1985 (seriously, the lights are so low you can hardly see the food). Nice pours on the wine, salads were good. Then the entrees arrived - my husband had the Chicken Gorgonzola, which tasted good but part way through he worried that it wasn't fully cooked (you couldn't see anything in the low lighting). He asked the waiter to take it back to the kitchen to have them check it out. The waiter returned with the cook's assurance that it was cooked, but that the cheese might make the texture feel soft. My husband cut another piece off and (with the light of our cell phones) we saw that it was clearly raw in parts. The waiter was great, apologetic and took it off our bill - but the frightening thing is that the cook thought, even after it was sent back, that it was okay for someone to eat!

Reviewed August 1, 2012

After out dissapointing arrival at Cafe Tuscany's (no one there/closed on a Sat nite) we decided to back track to Frankie's as it looks inviting from the outside. Years ago there was a fab Italian restaurant at this location, just can't remember the name.

Anyhow -- we got inside -- and when we took a look at the menu/specials listed the hostess told us that they really couldn't seat anyone else. They had some people call off (that is none of our business) and were having difficulty taking care of those already seated.

After we probably looked dumbfounded -- the hostess said, 'if you want -- you can wait maybe 45 minutes or so -- but did nothing to encourage us to stay and wait (like a drink in the bar for example) or to come try them again. Hostesses -- you can make or break a customer, and you just lost a potential and returning one with us.

1  Thank Donna M
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We have passed by this place on every trip to SW Michigan. Our innkeepers (Goldberry Woods) suggested we give it a try. Frankie's has a new chef, and I think I heard new owners as well. We loved the place! The food was wonderful and creative. The presentation was artful and careful. Our server knew her menu, both bar and food, and was extremely helpful.
We sat out on the small patio, which is nicely fenced from the roadway. Started with cocktails, and I opted to try their new "Ruby Red Martini" which was refreshing and delicious. Asked for the recipe so we can recreate it at home :)
Next up was soup for my husband, tomato bisque. Wonderful flavors, and served with a grilled cheese triangle...fun! I had their caprese salad, very creative. Greens over prosciutto, fresh mozzarella, think sliced tomatoes. Great new take on a classic. For dinner, my husband had the prime rib, which was flavorful and tender. Great piece of meat. I had the flank steak that was served with two sauces; wasabi and plum. An unusual combination that brought out the flavors of the meat. Wanted to scrape the plate clean! Mashed potatoes that are clearly made in house. A great meal.
They were also having 1/2 price wine bottles. We shared a light and tasty pinot noir for $14. They packed the bottle for us to take with. Can't beat that price for decent wine at a restaurant.
This is by far the best meal we have had in Harbor Country....and we've been to all the so-called "best" places. We will be making Frankie's our new regular dinner spot there.

2  Thank Swanbirds