“Totally ruined anniversary”
Review of Gordon Beach Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Union Pier
Gordon Beach Inn
Ranked #4 of 4 Union Pier B&B and Inns
“Totally ruined anniversary”
Reviewed July 14, 2012

I decided to surprise my wife for our anniversary. Thought it would be fabulous. Boy was I wrong. We showed up around 8 after driving for 3 hours. Unloaded our car and went to the room. What a joke. Small, outdated and tacky. Not like any of the three pictures that they show. Then we decide to go downstairs for dinner. We walk up to the reception desk at the restaurant and tell them we would like a table for two. The girl rudely tells us that "to eat HERE you meds a reservation". We just spent nearly $300 in there Inn and we can't even eat there. After carrying our luggage past tables in their lobby. Will never go back and recommend this place only to enemies.

• Stayed July 2012
5 Thank Scooter481

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Reviewed July 7, 2012

I didn't have the best experience here because the guests in the next room decided to make my friend's night and mine miserable since we were basically the only ones in the Inn, not there for a wedding. BUT, the staff was friendly and concerned. I told them not to worry about it and the Manager still sent me an apology and a discount for if I come back. Besides the guests next door, I had a positive experience with the place and staff.

• Stayed June 2012
Crown Point, Indiana
Reviewed April 2, 2012

We booked a last minute weekend getaway at Gordon Beach Inn because it was available. The day after we made our reservation is when I came across the reviews on TripAdvisor. I tried to change the reservation to Lakeside Inn (apparently both are owned/managed by the same people), but there wasn't a comparable room with a 2-person Jacuzzi available. So I decided to keep the reservation. After all...how bad could it be, right?

At first, the inn strikes you as being kind of quaint and historic. Then we went to our room, #3. The bed was a frame and mattress...no headboard. The mattress sank in the middle. Bedspread 70's green. No, I really mean it...from the 70's.

The furniture looked like stuff some people put on the curb for the garbage men that other people pick up before they get there. Flea market quality. An occasional painting and deep cleaning (other than once a decade or so) would be a step. A 13" t.v? REALLY?! ANY step would be appreciated.

Yes, it did have Jacuzzi. The faucet was pitted. Home-brought candles and lights turned off hid a lot. It wasn't until the next morning when I looked into the tub and noticed hair that was OBVIOUSLY neither of ours. It literally was all I could do to keep from throwing up.

I think the overall feeling is that the owners just don't care. You shouldn't either. Save your money to go somewhere...hell ANYWHERE else!

Oh BTW, it appeared we were the only people staying there on a Friday night. What does that tell you?

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Craig H

Travelers are raving about these Union Pier hotels

Reviewed October 19, 2011

The Gordon Beach Inn is a nice little gem tucked away in the woods just a couple of blocks from the shore of Lake Michigan, where my girlfriend and I were fortunate to take in a gorgeous sunset. It's far from luxurious, and yet our room (3) had a jacuzzi & king size bed plus a small refrigerator and sink. Stepping into the Inn is like stepping into the 1920s. There seems to be an artistic sensibility at work, yet everything is comfortably rustic. It's not without a few small problems. The dining room and most of the lobby has been taken over by a restaurant, so really, there's no common area where you can interact with other guests. A light bulb was burned out over the side entrance, which you sort of have to use to avoid walking through the restaurant, and let me tell you, it's dark in those woods! That aside, though, the place was quite charming and worth the money.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DonQ_55
Reviewed September 25, 2011

We stayed here for the first time for the Apple Cider biking weekend. It is a charming building and great location, but smells really musty and dank. Room was fine and pretty clean, but a good swipe with a vacum in the window wells would have gone a long way... Beds were comfortable; peeling wall paper and very dated bath were downers.
We were VERY disappointed to find that b'fast is not offered by Timothy's Restaurant on premises; they could not even be bothered to give us coffee this morning before our ride, knowing that riders would appreciate a cup of joe before departign for their 15-100 mile rides. The inn required a two nt.stay for Apple Cider weekend, though we seemed to be the only ones this was required of as many guests checked in for the Saturday night only.
The price is right, but I would rather stay somewhere a little pricier for a nicer atmosphere, better service and breakfast included or available.

Room Tip: Ask for king room. Stay away from the noisy restaurant side of the hotel. restaurant is overpriced a...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Western Suburbs, Chicago
Reviewed August 22, 2011

My wife, two daughters, ages 10 and 13, and I stayed Friday and Saturday nights, August 19 and 20, 2011. The place seemed quaint at first but upon entering our room (#10) on the second floor it was down hill from there. The two queen beds were crammed in a small, narrow room. The only "closet" was half of an armoire with the other half hosting 1 ten or twelve inch tube tv. No joing, it was the smallest tv I've ever seen. But we were there for the beach mostly, so no biggie. The bathroom had broken tile and very old fixtures. The toilet needed the flush handle held down for it to operate somewhat correctly. The place was pretty loud both nights, with friday night extra loud and extra bright as the lights from the attached restaurant, Timothy's, shining in our window and the commotion of diners until quite late (after 11 PM for sure). The thermostat in our room had a message taped on the wall underneath it stating not to touch it and to leave it at 75 where it was set. The wife and girls complained about being cold friday night, although I was comfortable and found it perfect sleeping temperature. Saturday night, however, was a different story as the air conditioning wasan't working at all. I didn't get any sleep saturday night and though the girls said they slept ok, I listened to them all tossing and turning much of the night. The room was like a sauna in the morning, especially after I walked downstairs for some watery maxelhouse-type coffee and then back to the room. The beach was about 4 blocks away down a gravel road, so it was pretty convenient. That's about all I can say positive about the whole weekend.

Room Tip: I suggest planning ahead and renting a house or possibly the Sandpiper Inn
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We stopped here as our original plans changed.
Friend desk staff-Ellen and Devin were so helpful and accomodating. We were the only guests in the hotel-tourist season had not officially started. Had no idea why we had keys to front and side doors but realized later that we were actually the only people on the property overnight and actually were in charge of the building-we welcomed this discovery with humor and surprise as we are big city folks and could not believe the trust level! We loved our deck and did not mind sweeping and setting up for our enjoyment of relaxation just outside our room. Ellen was a new employee and this woman was a one-woman show. She juggled her tasks in a professional and above and beyond the call of duty manner! Provided maps, local info and a friendly and helpful attitude.People-this is Harbor Country-not Vegas. Having visited Harbor Country for 50 years, I have learned to love it more with each visit. I have NEVER had to lock up a bicycle or a door when I take a walk.
Totally recommend this to people who are patient, can improvise and say yes to Michigan....

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Inn at Union Pier
#2 of 4 in Union Pier
Goldberry Woods Bed & Breakfast Cottages
Garden Grove Bed & Breakfast

Been to Gordon Beach Inn? Share your experiences!