“Could be a really nice place, but badly needs updating and service upgrade.”
Review of Gordon Beach Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Union Pier
Gordon Beach Inn
Ranked #4 of 4 Union Pier B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 25, 2011

We stayed here for the first time for the Apple Cider biking weekend. It is a charming building and great location, but smells really musty and dank. Room was fine and pretty clean, but a good swipe with a vacum in the window wells would have gone a long way... Beds were comfortable; peeling wall paper and very dated bath were downers.
We were VERY disappointed to find that b'fast is not offered by Timothy's Restaurant on premises; they could not even be bothered to give us coffee this morning before our ride, knowing that riders would appreciate a cup of joe before departign for their 15-100 mile rides. The inn required a two nt.stay for Apple Cider weekend, though we seemed to be the only ones this was required of as many guests checked in for the Saturday night only.
The price is right, but I would rather stay somewhere a little pricier for a nicer atmosphere, better service and breakfast included or available.

Room Tip: Ask for king room. Stay away from the noisy restaurant side of the hotel. restaurant is overpriced a...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Gordon Beach Inn

Reviewed August 22, 2011

My wife, two daughters, ages 10 and 13, and I stayed Friday and Saturday nights, August 19 and 20, 2011. The place seemed quaint at first but upon entering our room (#10) on the second floor it was down hill from there. The two queen beds were crammed in a small, narrow room. The only "closet" was half of an armoire with the other half hosting 1 ten or twelve inch tube tv. No joing, it was the smallest tv I've ever seen. But we were there for the beach mostly, so no biggie. The bathroom had broken tile and very old fixtures. The toilet needed the flush handle held down for it to operate somewhat correctly. The place was pretty loud both nights, with friday night extra loud and extra bright as the lights from the attached restaurant, Timothy's, shining in our window and the commotion of diners until quite late (after 11 PM for sure). The thermostat in our room had a message taped on the wall underneath it stating not to touch it and to leave it at 75 where it was set. The wife and girls complained about being cold friday night, although I was comfortable and found it perfect sleeping temperature. Saturday night, however, was a different story as the air conditioning wasan't working at all. I didn't get any sleep saturday night and though the girls said they slept ok, I listened to them all tossing and turning much of the night. The room was like a sauna in the morning, especially after I walked downstairs for some watery maxelhouse-type coffee and then back to the room. The beach was about 4 blocks away down a gravel road, so it was pretty convenient. That's about all I can say positive about the whole weekend.

Room Tip: I suggest planning ahead and renting a house or possibly the Sandpiper Inn
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We stopped here as our original plans changed.
Friend desk staff-Ellen and Devin were so helpful and accomodating. We were the only guests in the hotel-tourist season had not officially started. Had no idea why we had keys to front and side doors but realized later that we were actually the only people on the property overnight and actually were in charge of the building-we welcomed this discovery with humor and surprise as we are big city folks and could not believe the trust level! We loved our deck and did not mind sweeping and setting up for our enjoyment of relaxation just outside our room. Ellen was a new employee and this woman was a one-woman show. She juggled her tasks in a professional and above and beyond the call of duty manner! Provided maps, local info and a friendly and helpful attitude.People-this is Harbor Country-not Vegas. Having visited Harbor Country for 50 years, I have learned to love it more with each visit. I have NEVER had to lock up a bicycle or a door when I take a walk.
Totally recommend this to people who are patient, can improvise and say yes to Michigan....

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank wrigleygal
Reviewed November 15, 2010

I realize the reviews of this place are startlingly varied, so here's my take on the Gordon Beach Inn. We stayed during a weekend in November for a weekend of wine tasting, so there were less tourists around and the place was quiet (although you'll read differently in other reviews and I could see how this old building with creaky floors could get noisy during peak travel times). In terms of modern accents and style...well, there is none. But they make it known upfront on their website - no bells and whistles here. The Inn's outside was lit up with Christmas lights and the entrance lobby was very inviting and cozy with a warm fire - very picturesque, unfortunately not carried into the rooms at all. The bed was very comfortable, and the bathroom was sufficient. The room was cramped space-wise (as compared to your chain hotel room), but it worked for a weekend trip. I doubt that I would stay here during the summer (and at the full room rate...), but I would try the Lakeside Inn for a summer weekend, as it is right along the beach.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank whatstheruckus
Reviewed November 2, 2010

Well, after reading all the awful reviews, I have to admit I was sceptical about staying at the Gordon Beach Inn. But the description of the historic Inn on the website, the great restaurant and the art gallery lured me in. We were so pleasantly surprised when we got there. The rooms were not fancy, but we didn't come to stay in the room or watch TV. We had a great time with friends touring the local wineries, shops and beaches, and then sat in the lobby at night and enjoyed each others company for hours in front of the big beautiful fireplace. The hosts were very nice to us, the rooms were clean, and the beds were comfortable. Granted, if you want a big fancy hotel with all the bells and whistles, or a cookie cutter hotel chain, then you don't belong at the Gordon Beach Inn. But if you want a more peaceful, relaxing time to enjoy the beauty of michigan, or good times with good friends, then we highly recommend the Gordon Beach Inn. It truly is a step back into time.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank xyz303
Reviewed October 19, 2010

The room was so dated and smelled. Even my husband wanted out. We spent $135 for the night and there was nothing redeeming about the inn except its location. Mattress was V-shaped, the television didn't work, the staff was so NOT accommodating and for breakfast recommendations in this cute little community, they suggested the buffett at a casino! NEVER will stay here again!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 26, 2010

This was the worst hotel stay I every had. Not at all what they said it was on the website, or the phone. Small, cramped room, no one at front desk if you need anything. Plumbing is as old as the building. In the middle of the shower the water suddenly changed to scalding hot water, and I burned my back. The front desk didn't seem to care. When asked if we could check out an hour later due to unforseen circumstances, the person at the desk said that they don't do that, however the info in the room said they would for a nominal charge. When questioned she rolled her eyes and huffed and puffed, and said she didn't want to stay late, and if she had to it would be $25 per hour over the 11:00 check out. When I informed her of the shower incident and explained the situation she didn't seem to care, nor was she surprised about the scalding water. When I said you got enough money for horrible conditions, and I wasn't paying any additional money, she yelled good at me from across the counter. Also, they used the guest common area for extra tables for the restaurant Timothys so if you don't want to sit in your small dorm room, you have nowhere to go, especailly when the wifi is in the common area. The noise can be heard throughout the hotel, and there is absolutely no privacy in this entire place. They give you an ice bucket, but don't offer an ice machine. You have to walk through the restaurant to the bar for ice, and wait in line with people who are ordering drinks. NO PARKING for guests either, we came back in the early evening, and had to circle the place 3 times before getting a spot on the residential street. This was unacceptable. I would NEVER recommend this place to anyone. It was the worst hotel experience I ever had.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Inn at Union Pier
Inn at Union Pier
#2 of 4 in Union Pier
Goldberry Woods Bed & Breakfast Cottages

Been to Gordon Beach Inn? Share your experiences!