“New Beds are Great/Cheap Breakfast Package”
Review of Somerset Inn

Somerset Inn
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Troy
Newton, MA
“New Beds are Great/Cheap Breakfast Package”
Reviewed January 5, 2008

I've been at the Somerset Inn several times before. But they just got new beds in the rooms, and they are really comfortable. Also, you can add a breakfast package to the rate for $5, and you get a big breakfast - not continental. I also got a special holiday rate.

The location is nice next to the Somerset Collection - a really nice mall with many restaurant choices. The weather was really cold.

• Liked — Location near where I needed to be and nice restaurants and shopping close by.
  • Disliked — Michigan in winter
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2007

This hotel was arranged for me by my company's US office; it was more convenient for the client I was visiting than hotels near their Ann Arbor base.

I had an immense ground-floor room (upgraded, I believe) with excellent bathroom and views out over the hotel gardens. The room was comfortable and had plenty of space to work.

The Somerset provided a good breakfast, and was well-located for the restaurants and shopping at the Somerset Collection mall over the road - I took most of my evening meals there.

I can't think of many reasons for visiting the Troy/Sterling Heights area except on business, but if you do the Somerset is a fine place to stay - it provides all you need to relax after work or prepare for meetings.

• Liked — size of rooms, breakfast
  • Stayed February 2003, traveled on business
1 Thank Pete_Fenelon
London, Ontario
Reviewed July 15, 2007

...just returned from a great weekend at Somerset Inn! The room (on the first floor with access to the garden patio) was large with a king size bed and couch. Staff at the front desk, restaurant, and bar were extremely friendly. We chose this hotel for its price ($99) and location to the Somerset Collection. There is no continental breakfast. If you wish to have breakfast at their restaurant, book a hotel/breakfast package because the food is overpriced. We decided to leave our laptops at home but made use of the computer and printer set up for guests in the lobby. We will definitely be returning!!

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kmcinni3
Toronto
Reviewed January 25, 2007

After stayin at the garbage dump (days inn) the nite before, my gf and I decide to drive around and landed ourself to this Hilton looking Somerset Inn. Outside of the building looks like very expensive but when we ask how much the room charges, lady at front counter said 99$. We book the room and added $10 for a la carte breakfast the next morning.

The room is clean. Lady gave us 12 floor looking open to the frozen golf course. Everything is very organized and neat. We are very happy with our stay.

The next morning we ate a very nice a la carte breakfast. Bill cost us 31$ but we only pay 10$ when we book our room.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TorontoFob
Chicago
Reviewed September 14, 2006

I stayed at the Somerset Inn for one weekday night during a business trip. I was booked there by my company since the Embassy Suites was sold out. The room at the Somerset was clean, including the bathroom, and the bed was comfortable. The room did not have a microwave or mini fridge, two amenities that are offered by some competitors and that I've come to look for when comparing similarly priced establishments. Also, the hotel did not include a complimentary breakfast, though room service was available. Overall, I found the stay to be without problems and generally okay, but I'd still look to book at the Embassy Suites or one of the other known chains that offers more amenities if given a choice.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 10, 2005

Rated #3 of 13 hotels in Troy?! This is certainly not based on quality versus price! I stayed on night at what I thought, from the price, would be a posh, highly polished professional hotel. The end product was anything but. The room was clean, mostly, nice bed...but for $160 a night??? The room was little more than a clean, basic place to stash my gear. The glamorous exterior is just that, marketing.
If you are planning a major shopping excursion at the local high scale Somerset mall and you want ease of travel to and fro, and care little for real quality and value for money paid on a room, this is the hotel for you.
If you are a serious traveler, looking for a great room, with a great bed at a reasonable price for services received, LOOK ELSEWHERE.

• Stayed November 2005
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 15, 2005

We stayed here over Labor Day weekend. We chose the hotel because of its ideal location for shopping. It's directly beside the Somerset Collection, about 15 minutes from the Great Lakes Crossing Outlet, and about an hour from the Prime Outlets in Birch Run. We booked a non-smoking King Deluxe Room, which was on the second floor. The rooms on the first and second floors are very dark, and offer very little natural light. For whatever reason, this hotel put both smoking and non-smoking rooms on the same floor, and the smoke began filtering into the room. As an asthmatic, this was a huge problem for me. The people at the front desk did switch our room, but seemed like it was an inconvenience. I stayed at the Drury Inn last summer, and their rooms were of a comparable quality, and were considerably cheaper. I would not stay at this hotel again, because the staff are not very friendly and, in my opinion, the hotel is overpriced.

• Stayed September 2005