“Dated rooms in need of a good cleaning”

Candlewood Suites Detroit - Troy
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Troy
Toronto
“Dated rooms in need of a good cleaning”
Reviewed February 1, 2011

The room decor is circa 1970 and the lighting and feel of the room is very cold. The carpets are not well cleaned (you wonder about putting your bag down on the floor). The fact that there is a VCR in the room speaks alot of the vintage (perhaps there is an 8 track tape player lurking somewhere in the closet). The gym is in good shape, and the laundry and mini market look clean and have a limited selection.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
YoYoManDTW, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Detroit - Troy, responded to this review, December 9, 2015
frequentflier1

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. I am so sorry for the delay on replying to your review but their were technical reasons not allowing us to respond to reviews over a year. Nevertheless thank you for making the effort. We really appreciate your business and if you are ever back in the Troy, MI area we would love to see you back.

Kevin Dombrow/Director of Sales

P.S. We are now renovated! We would love for you to see us now!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Traverse City, Michigan
Reviewed January 1, 2011

called the front desk directly to facilitate reservation for my son. I wanted to speak directlly with the local front desk so as to pay ahead of time for the room since my son does not have a credit card. Reached the desk clerk and told her I wish to make a reservation. She states " I'm on my cigarrette break" and dumps me into the worldwide reservation system. For management's sake this event happened Saturday 1/01/11 at 2:20 pm. Needless to say I'm booking a room somewhere else.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
William2853

First of all I know it's been a LONG time since your stay but I just wanted to let you know that I am sorry we did not exceed your expectations. I can tell you that we are currently under new management and we have been completely renovated since your last stay. Again because it has been so long since your stay with us you may not even remember the treatment you experienced but I wanted to let you know that I would like one more chance to WOW you. Please email me at kevin.dombrow@ihg.com and lets discuss making a wrong.....right!

Noida, India
Reviewed December 27, 2010

If you are in Troy, Michigan and there for a long stay, Candlewood Suites is the place to be because of its rate, location prefernce and the quality of service/failities. When I entered in the hotel late night around 2.10 AM, the best part I liked about hotel was extended check in. They had placed my keys and other documents in the safe locker right on dorr and shared a number with me to access it. I picked up my keys and entered the room. I was full of asleep and the white clean bead was inviting me. I still remember the comfore of the sleep. The best part is they provide option of pillows as per one's need. The hotel does not have restaurants but have a 24X7 candlewood cupboard for basic things like juice, milk, cookies, chips and chocolates. It has a gyma\nasium, and housekeeping is available for once a week. Toileteries and replenishments happen once a week but if required one can contact the front desk. It has a front office pamphlet stand where one can pick up the different information about detroit and windsor and staff will be happy to help anyone and arrange for the cabs. All in all staff is very friendly and helpful. The best part about hotel is proximity to the Walmart store which is opened till 9.30 PM. Its at walking distance and you can walk for your daily needs.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
San_Traveller_1983

Delhi, India
Reviewed November 28, 2010

Candlewood Suites is a perfect place to live if you are in Troy nad Indian because it has library of bollywood movies and a DVD/CD player free of cost available. it has world class gym and has ample parking area. The hotel is near to Walmart so the shopping is easy.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
sanchitTraveller

LOVE YOUR REVIEW!!!!!! THANK YOU
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 9, 2010

I stayed in a queen-sized room for a night, it was wonderful, it has all the accessories you need for cooking. And the bed is comfortable too.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Nanzhi,

Syracuse, Utah
Reviewed September 5, 2010

Stayed here in September '10 for a 3 day stay over the holiday weekend. The room is pretty cleen, along with the bathroom. The cookware was decently clean, but decided to wash prior to use anyways. **ONE BIG PROBLEM** IF YOU NEED FAST INTERNET THIS IS NOT THE PLACE. They only have wired internet, which was fine with me. I connected to the free internet, they make you digitally sign an agreement and it logs you in. I decided to run a ping and DL/UL speed test to see what I was dealing with. an 88ms ping time, and a whopping 404 kbps DL and 214 kbps UL speed. This is worse then dial up speed. Called the front dest, they gave me the support phone number. Called support, they reset my connection, I reset the DSL router located under the desk. The connection didn't get any better. Sigh.... Tech support could not help any further. Other then that free laundry was nice. Wal Mart is 2 blocks away, I-75 is very close. Area is quiet.

Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank DailyDriver
DailyDriver,

Kevin Dombrow/Director of Sales

PS we are revamping our Wifi within the next 3 weeks!
Sarasota
Reviewed May 8, 2010

what's okay: relatively sorta clean; free laundry machines; decent and friendly help at front desk; affordable. Don't really hear neighbors through the walls. A more-or-less full kitchen w/full-sized fridge. Okay cookware.

what's tedious: housekeeping is lame - they knock on your door at 7:30am. If you work at night, like we do, this is unacceptable. Since they don't clean rooms in the afternoons we've had housekeeping in our room only once in a 3 week stay. Really bad fitness room. Furniture doesn't fit the room well, ie. a bed should have two bedside tables. No need for a dishwasher if you only get 2 of everything; plates, bowls, forks, etc. You end up washing these by hand in the end. There should be an oven instead.

what's more annoying: there is no place to go other than your room, no coffee shop, lounge or restaurant; the laundry/convenience/fitness room is not a place you want to hang in for more than a few minutes. The air conditioner/heating unit (in our room) sounds like a freight train. The 3rd floor is supposedly "non smoking" but our noses were repeatedly slammed by the stench of cigarettes when getting off the elevator.

HIDEOUSLY SLOW INTERNET.

Most of the rooms at Candlewood Suites are not, in fact, suites at all. We were despondent that ours was a smallish room with a kitchen next to a bed. The hotel was mostly empty but they were adamant nonetheless about not upgrading us.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business