“Decent stay unless you need fast internet for work...”

Candlewood Suites Detroit - Troy
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Troy
Syracuse, Utah
“Decent stay unless you need fast internet for work...”
Reviewed September 5, 2010

Stayed here in September '10 for a 3 day stay over the holiday weekend. The room is pretty cleen, along with the bathroom. The cookware was decently clean, but decided to wash prior to use anyways. **ONE BIG PROBLEM** IF YOU NEED FAST INTERNET THIS IS NOT THE PLACE. They only have wired internet, which was fine with me. I connected to the free internet, they make you digitally sign an agreement and it logs you in. I decided to run a ping and DL/UL speed test to see what I was dealing with. an 88ms ping time, and a whopping 404 kbps DL and 214 kbps UL speed. This is worse then dial up speed. Called the front dest, they gave me the support phone number. Called support, they reset my connection, I reset the DSL router located under the desk. The connection didn't get any better. Sigh.... Tech support could not help any further. Other then that free laundry was nice. Wal Mart is 2 blocks away, I-75 is very close. Area is quiet.

Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank DailyDriver
YoYoManDTW, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Detroit - Troy, responded to this review, December 9, 2015
DailyDriver,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. I am so sorry for the delay on replying to your review but their were technical reasons not allowing us to respond to reviews over a year. Nevertheless thank you for making the effort. We really appreciate your business and if you are ever back in the Troy, MI area we would love to see you back.

Kevin Dombrow/Director of Sales

PS we are revamping our Wifi within the next 3 weeks!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Sarasota
Reviewed May 8, 2010

what's okay: relatively sorta clean; free laundry machines; decent and friendly help at front desk; affordable. Don't really hear neighbors through the walls. A more-or-less full kitchen w/full-sized fridge. Okay cookware.

what's tedious: housekeeping is lame - they knock on your door at 7:30am. If you work at night, like we do, this is unacceptable. Since they don't clean rooms in the afternoons we've had housekeeping in our room only once in a 3 week stay. Really bad fitness room. Furniture doesn't fit the room well, ie. a bed should have two bedside tables. No need for a dishwasher if you only get 2 of everything; plates, bowls, forks, etc. You end up washing these by hand in the end. There should be an oven instead.

what's more annoying: there is no place to go other than your room, no coffee shop, lounge or restaurant; the laundry/convenience/fitness room is not a place you want to hang in for more than a few minutes. The air conditioner/heating unit (in our room) sounds like a freight train. The 3rd floor is supposedly "non smoking" but our noses were repeatedly slammed by the stench of cigarettes when getting off the elevator.

HIDEOUSLY SLOW INTERNET.

Most of the rooms at Candlewood Suites are not, in fact, suites at all. We were despondent that ours was a smallish room with a kitchen next to a bed. The hotel was mostly empty but they were adamant nonetheless about not upgrading us.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank TPFolair
TPFolair,

First of all I know it's been a LONG time since your stay but I just wanted to let you know that I am sorry we did not exceed your expectations. I can tell you that we are currently under new management and we have been completely renovated since your last stay. Again because it has been so long since your stay with us you may not even remember the treatment you experienced but I wanted to let you know that I would like one more chance to WOW you. Please email me at kevin.dombrow@ihg.com and lets discuss making a wrong.....right!

Florida
Reviewed March 30, 2010

My husband and I stayed at Candlewood for 3 days in March 2010. The staff was friendly, easy checkin and checkout. Our room had a queen size bed, a full size refrigerator, microwave and stove with some dishes. They have a convenience store on site with food items. They also have a couple washers and dryers available for free. The room was clean and looked nice. They offer an excellent military discount. We stayed for just $65 a night.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
NeatFreak2010

Western US
Reviewed January 2, 2009

I just finished working on the crew of Whip It and stayed at the Troy Candlewood for a few months. It more than suited my needs while I was away from home. The staff was always extremely accomodating. My room was clean upon arrival and had everything I could need for my extended stay. The reason we had selected this hotel in the first place was because of the great location and proximity to our job site. The Troy Candlewood is very quiet, clean and affordable.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
scout2008

jdnorth
Reviewed December 30, 2008

My husband, 2 kids and I needed a hotel room during a visit for a family holiday get together. Not only was the location perfect for this, one of the attentive managers arranged all the necessary transporation for us. We had a 1 bedroom suite that was great since we were traveling with the kids. The room was very clean and fully stocked. Our visit lasted about 4 days and we need to go back in March for a family wedding, we will definately be back. Staff was great! Price was right! And again, location was awesome. I think this hotel has a lot business travelers, and therefore was quiet and not a party hotel.

• Liked — Clean and convenient location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2008
jdnorth,

cleveland
Reviewed September 11, 2008

The room looked cleaned, but we had to evacuate in the middle of the night because of bed bugs. Our family members down the hall had a worse case. We only saw the nymphs while they had the adults creepy crawlies all over room and walls, floors, and bed. Bugs got into their personal items too. As we were leaving we discoverd fleas in the lobby. NO JOKE! We didnt even receive apology from owners, but Holiday Inn did gives us a $14 credit toward our next stay in Candlewood Suites. Spare me! We collected some of the bugs for proof and expected at least a curtesy call from the management but nothing. We stayed in a Candlewood Suite in Charlotte and did not have this problem. Bed bugs are coming back and any hotel or dwelling could house them, but the fact that we recieved no apologies is very insulting!

• Disliked — Bed Bugs and Fleas!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank distanttraveler_8
distanttraveler_8

Dallas, TX
Reviewed August 16, 2008

This place has some advantages, close to my client, dvd player in the room, and a reasonable price. Unfortunately they only clean the rooms once a week, it looks a litlle old, the internet is too slow, no breakfast, and the little extras that most hotels give away for free you have to pay for here, like a morning paper or a cup of coffee.

On this particular last stay though I had the unfortunate experience of finding some other gentleman's undergarments had been left in the room.

• Liked — DVD Player
  • Disliked — No breakfast
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business