“Nice hotel, good location”

Courtyard Detroit Troy
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Troy
Reviewed August 23, 2014

This looks like an older hotel but they have done a lot to update it and keep it maintained. The lobby area looks all new with a market area, bar/restaurant area, and tech areas. Very nice, modern feel to it. Our room was on the 2nd floor. The room itself was nice. Clean, nice bathroom with separate sink area, comfy beds and pillows, nice desk area and sitting area. We had a balcony but only a view of the parking lot and 75. I would recommend getting a room on the courtyard side, looked nicer. Pool area was also nice. Clean, plenty of seating and plenty of clean towels. Comfortable pool temp. Hot tub jets weren't great, but still relaxing. The outside courtyard area was very nice. Right off from the pool, it had lots of comfy seating and lounge chairs. Even a bbq grill which would be nice if staying for several days. For us it was a great location for all we were doing. Located just minutes from Somerset mall area and only about 15 min (with traffic) from the Detroit Zoo. The only bummer was no included breakfast, which is always nice.

Room Tip: Get a room on the courtyard side. Much nicer view from balcony/patio and probably quieter.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
Wendy F, General Manager at Courtyard Detroit Troy, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2014

Thank you so much for your review of the Troy Courtyard. I appreciate all of the detail that you provided for prospective guests and the positive suggestions. I agree that if you are planning to have time to enjoy the outdoors, a request for a courtyard view room is a great option.

I noted you mentioned the jets in the whirlpool weren't great and will have my engineer check them to ensure they are functioning at full capacity. The fact that you took the time to let me know is appreciated.

The hotel has package options that do include complimentary breakfast in our Bistro if you choose. The additional expense is a great value since we offer options from grab and go items to full plated breakfasts made fresh for you. A brewed Starbucks coffee, tea or juice is included as well.

I look forward to having you stay with us again in the future!

Wendy Fresorger

Reviewed July 31, 2014

This is a motel that in my opinion is not exactly up to a Marriott Standard. The rooms on the ground floor are rather noisy because of the roard proximity. I would suggest to try the first floor. jim facility is represented by a small room with a few items.
Staff at reception is very kind.
Breakfast is rather sad, with the bar corner presented as a sort of breakfast fast food with limited choice (when I was there there were just 4 muffins).
Summary: it could be ok for a one night sleep during a trip.
I have slept in Marriott hotels around (Troy - Southfield) and had better expectations.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the first floor looking into teh courtyard and not vs the road
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Wendy F, General Manager at Courtyard Detroit Troy, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your visit to the Troy Courtyard. The hotel does feature guest rooms that face both the exterior as well as the courtyard. I agree that the courtyard is very pleasant, especially this time of year. We offer a public seating area in the courtyard that has a complimentary wifi connection and can be serviced by our Bistro staff in the evening. The Bistro concept is an effort to provide both expedited grab and go options such as muffins, bagels, yogurt parfaits and fruit cups as well as full American breakfasts made fresh for you in the morning! Should you return to the Troy area my staff and I would be happy to guide you through the ordering options. We've added Starbucks coffee and evening food service as well.

Again, thank you for staying with us! I hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed July 21, 2014

In my experience,Marriott always does a good job. This hotel is located in a semi-industrial area of greater Detroit. The hotel was clean, and well kept. The pool area and spa were very well kept and even included a lift for handicapped individuals. The Bistro served tasty meals at a competitive price. Mine was not the most comfortable bed I have slept in, but adequate for the three days I spent there. Helpful and courteous staff made our stay even more enjoyable.There is a Chinese restaurant about 300 feet from the hotel that is one of the best I have ever eaten in. The Troy Mall is one of the largest in the area, for those who enjoy shopping.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed July 7, 2014

This is an older hotel that appears to be well maintained with very friendly, exceptional service.

The room was decently furnished. Decor was a tad dated but decently maintained although the furniture had relatively minor wear and tear issues.

The bed was comfortable. The TV was a flat screen and had around 40 cahnnels, some in HD and some not (that should have been).

The bathroom was rather large with the vanity in an area outisde of the room containing the tub and toilet. That made it convenient for two people to get ready at the same time.

Our room had a sliding glass door to the outside, but we had no porch. Apparently, the outside facing rooms don't have this feature, just the rooms thatr face the courtyard.

Speaking of courtyard, that was nice. It had plenty of seating. Great place to relax with a drink.

The lobby was updated. They had a large touchscreen montior that displayed weather and news highlights. The lobby had a small sundry shop as well as a limited service restaurant. Didn't eat at the restaurant because the prices looked high for what it was.

What striked me was how approachable the staff was and how they bent over backwards to accomomdate. I needed band aids, they gave them to me; I went in the wrong direction to get ice, they got me some; I needed more coffee, they sent someone to my room to bring me some. Housekeeping left a nice note telling me they hoped I was enjoying my stay, which was nice.

The establishment is oddly located on an east-west road that is between two exits off of I-75. Nothing is very far away, but there is nothing immediately around it except for several office buildings. This is probably why I got such a good deal on Priceline and why they go the extra mile to provide good service to try to capture business.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the inner courtyard so you get a balcony/porch with chairs.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 3, 2014

Hot water tank broke at home and needed a good night's sleep witha hot shower. Staff were extremely polite and courteous along with a super clean hotel that didn't have a hotel smell to it. Room was exactly as pictured online and in room temperature control for AC was fantastic. Requested a 3rd floor room and couldn't have been happier except for the balcony not having any chairs to sit on outside. Only complaint was the hot elevator which needs a cooling system and maybe some tuning to allow for a smoother ride, but other than completely satisfied.

Room Tip: If you want a court view ask for a courtside room otherwise you maybe facing a park lot or business...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed June 27, 2014

I have stayed here several times over the years and it is always a pleasure. They recently remodeled the lobby and it looks beautiful. I needed to extend my stay and the staff was very courteous.
Had a sandwich and a beer and the food quality was excellent and the beer was cold!
Great loacation for me, but it's not that far from a ton of restaurants.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed June 23, 2014

This is the second time I stayed at this hotel and I was very pleased both times. The staff is very nice and the rooms are kept very clean. I will put this on one of my favorite lists of places to stay when I go to,visit my son in Michigan!!

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family