“Paul Greely's Review”

Ranked #14 of 17 Hotels in Troy
Troy, Michigan
“Paul Greely's Review”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Hotel has great amenities, breakfast included, pool, free paper, and helpful staff. While mentioning staff it would be wrong not to acknowledge the excellent service provided to my wife and I by Walter Neal Jr., a keen and outstading young man with a cheery disposition even while on a double shift.

Room Tip: Rooms are great in size and cleanliness but the hallway carpets need updating or a good shampooing.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
qualityinntroy, General Manager at Quality Inn Detroit - Troy, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Thanks for the review Paul. I was going to share this with Walter, but he beat me to it. You made his day.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Henderson, Nevada
Reviewed July 10, 2012

This place saved my bacon!! I was traveling with my granddaughter in Michigan, it had clean, fresh linens, clean bathroom, carpet, the works. Great hot breakfast for getting up early and on the run.

I had reserved a room at the Econo Lodge on Stevenson Hwy. and when I got in the room it stunk soooo bad I packed up my granddaughter and asked for a refund (after 6 days they haven't refunded me yet :( ). I googled rooms in the area and they had such horrible reviews I despaired finding a room that night! I called my sister in CA who told me to go to the Quality Inn in Troy. Thank God , it was a life saver.

Room Tip: Stay here, it is a bargain for the price, I cannot stressed how clean it was.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Hi Janet, THANK YOU for the kind words. I'm happy to hear we were able to help.
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed June 6, 2012

I left my cell phone charger on may 2012, after 1 called they sent it back to my house for FREE !! but the cleaning service little bit annoyed because they kept open and close the door loudly at 7 am until 8 am (actually until I complaint to them). the room was clean and mediocre breakfast.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Ypsilanti, Michigan
Reviewed May 3, 2012

I have written a review of this hotel in the past but need to ammend it based on our stay Monday, Apr. 30, 2012. In regards to the breakfast, the small plates and cereal bowls were stacked and nearly every one of them had crumbs on them. How odd. Makes one wonder how they got there. There was the usual make your own waffle iron but no plates to put the finished waffle on. The host seemed to not care about the breakfast.
I also woke up in the morning with two bites on my leg.
On the plus side, when we checked in we found our room next to the elevator and the freeway was just outside and noisy. We immediatly knew this was not going to work for us so requested another quieter room and the gentleman at the desk was happy to accomodate us.

Room Tip: get breakfast elsewhere on a weekday
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
qualityinntroy, General Manager at Quality Inn Detroit - Troy, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
I am sorry to hear your breakfast experience was not exceptional. Please accept my apology. We value guest feedback like yours and I will be looking into this.
Shepherd
Reviewed April 22, 2012

I always stay there was I'm down that way for business. Beds are great, service is great, food is great! Will always continue to stay there and recommend others to stay there as well.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank nashadog
Well, I am sorry about the issues you encountered, AND thank you for your kind words about the rest of your stay. We look forward to having you back and hope your next review will be *****! : )
Cleveland, Ohio
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,233 helpful votes
Reviewed January 12, 2012

I really loved this place when I stayed here in September (see my review dated October 7, 2011). I was back here again about a month afterward and still thought it was outstanding. However, my most recent visit in January had caused my to lower my rating one notch.

It is still a very good place to stay and I would recommend it, but there were a couple of issues this last trip that caused me to down-grade my rating one notch. The negatives were:

1. The first room I was assigned had a problem with the fire dector beeping intermittently. Although the hotel immediately assigned me a new room two doors down, I was not that impressed was the individual at the front desk. In the past, the front desk staff have been outstanding, personable and just great to deal with. This guy was professional, but seemed bored about the whole issue. The fire dector continued to beep until I went to sleep; you could here in from the halls and even slightly from my new room.

2. Although the bathroom was exceptionally clean, the carpet in my room needed a better vacumming; it was obvious that no one had cleaned the rug under the desk area in a while. UGH.

On the other hand, I still really like this place, particularly due to:

1. Great price for area; I always upgrade to the jacuzzi room. which is great.

2. Beds are comfortable; room layout is good if you want to do some work, e.g., good desk with adequate lighting.

3. PCs in the business center alcove are great to catch up on email etc., if you are not bringing a laptop with you.

4. Excellent deal in the bar area -- from 6 to 7:30 pm for Choice Members (no cost to join) there is a free bar for beer, wine and soda, and a free bar foods buffet. The food is great, and the woman and man who work the bar are exceptional. Great time.

I will continue to use this Quality Inn for my home base when in the Detroit area, but this last trip just wasn't as good as in the past.

Room Tip: Upgrade for the jacuzzi -- it is worth it.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
10 Thank CynthiafromOhio2011
Morrisville, North Carolina
Reviewed December 1, 2011

We previously wrote a negative review for this property (on October 31, 2011). We had purchased a Groupon deal for a one-night stay in a jacuzzi room with two breakfasts and two drinks and two desserts from the lounge included. We had called to make our reservation, and unbeknownst to us, the woman who handled our reservation over the phone incorrectly entered our reservation date. When we arrived to check in on a Friday night, they told us that our reservation was supposed to be for the previous Monday and that we were a no-show. Because of this, our Groupon was revoked, we lost our money, and they wouldn't give us a room without us paying the full price. We left extremely disappointed.

The following week, the manager of the hotel (who wasn't present at the time of our arrival) called and apologized repeatedly for the mistake. He offered us a night in a jacuzzi room at no charge and $25 to go out to dinner to make up for things, and we accepted.

The manager hadn't mentioned that they would also honor our original Groupon deal at no cost to us, but when we arrived the attendant presented us with both the $25 as promised and a set of tickets to redeem for breakfast and the two drinks and desserts. We were very pleasantly surprised.

The room itself was large and very clean, *including* the jacuzzi (sometimes you never know what you're going to get)... we were quite happy with it. At the Wheel House Lounge, we met Randy the bartender, who was friendly and a hoot to talk to. Breakfast also exceeded our expectations, and there was a nice older gentleman who refilled our coffee and made it feel more like a restaurant setting even though it was just a breakfast buffet.

We are pleased to replace our previous negative review with this positive one after the Quality Inn made the extra effort to win back our business.

Room Tip: Not the most scenic location. Best if you just plan to sleep there and explore the town, as it's...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mostin8
I remember reaching out to this guest because I had to do something about the fact his anniversary was disrupted due to our hotel. What a pleasure to deal with and I completely appreciate a guest who understands that things happen from time to time. Thank you! We hope to see you again!