“We were in town for a family member in hospice care and...”

Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Troy MI
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Troy
Reviewed March 14, 2013

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Kelly B

Reviewed March 9, 2013

We had issues with hot water and heating. I would stay away until they can fix everything. You get what you pay for. We have moved 3 out of 4 nights to various rooms. They apologize profusely, but limited skills to fix the large scale. Problems.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank spud191
fbakoss, Guest Relations Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Troy MI, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Thank you so much for contacting Trip Advisor in regards to your stay with us. We truly apologize for the heating and hot water issues that occured during your stay. We are currently updating our whole hotel and we hope once our renovations are complete you decide to stay with us again.

Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

If your on a budget but want a relative nice stay with breakfast then this is the place. I actually enjoyed their breakfast was there for three nights. However the room and cleaning ness is a lot to be desired but when your paying 70 total in Troy then wouldn't expect that much more.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Booked a 3 night stay here, so was really hoping it would be comfortable as it was a bit more than just a quick one nighter.
When we arrived, and checked into the lobby I thought it looked like a nice updated spot with a flat screen TV, comfy chairs, tables, and a small area for the free breakfast in the morning. There was also free coffee and tea in the lobby which was nice to have after such a long drive.
When we finally found where we were supposed to be going, we were greeted by lots of smoke butts, and empty cans outside of the room. Inside the first thing I saw was a full kitchen with stove, full fridge, microwave, large counter top and lots of cupboards. Looked like the counter has just been replaced as it was a bit modern compared to the rest of the room. Stepping in further, we began to notice how dated this property was, but more importantly the housekeeping issues that were not being addressed.
The floor was filthy, let alone the stains, but something that a vaccuum can pick up should be taken care of. The bathroom had lots of missing wallpaper, and the shower area many black hairs - even in the towels. The bed, was small, and although it seemed to be comfortable enough, the sheets were thin, and no comfy blankets or duvets on it. That would have come in handy due to the fact, the heat had to always be blaring since the floors were SOOOO cold. The one other issue is that we were really looking for free Wifi when choosing a hotel and this one "apparently" has it, it was basically impossible to get on it. For three minutes one night I finally was put through, but that was after many hours over the three days trying and trying again to get on. Very frustrating. We did call the front desk, but they really didn't have an answer for us, and told us to try the same thing we had already been doing. If you need to use the internet, try the front desk.
I did read the reviews on this place - but after I had already booked. I am not normally a picky person, but I thought I should at least write a review on my experience as I would not recommend this place.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the South side, as ours was by the highway on the North side.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Amy K
Reviewed February 20, 2013

It was a cheap hotel at the last minute. I immediately understood why the rooms were so cheap when I entered the room. It had not been updated in over 10 years. I stayed there when it was Residence Inn and it was considered top notch, back then. But now, there are old model tv's, no remotes, (I called and asked, they promised it would be there in the morning. I laughed, I knew it was bull.

The outlets didn't have outlet covers. The bed left my busband and I with terrible back aches and neck pain. But I couldn't be mad, I read a review just like the one I'm posting, and I booked anyway. Please don't do it, unless you don't mind getting in and out the bed to change the tv while you're supposed to be relaxing in a hotel. You are literally getting what you pay for. They can actually charge less than that.

The breakfast is terrible! My 6 year old and 2 year old said it was the nastiest food ever! Lol. However, the lobby was beautiful. They had flat screen televisions and tables set up. It was bright and beautiful. They put the all of the money into the lobby and the rest elsewhere (more than likely in their pockets.)

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family